PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch?

mattatnoosa
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi guys,

My clutch is starting to slip, and it's got buzz, so I need to look at getting another, Has anyone bought a clutch recently? if so where? I'm hoping it's not going to cost the world, and I'm thinking maybe something more heavy duty than OEM, I'm planning on going FI late this year, hoping 350-400rwhp, will OEM suffice?

stndrd
05-03-2012, 03:38 PM
If you are going FI later in the year, I would look into a Cushion Button clutch. Get all the benefits of a button clutch, with the practicality of a HD. Allows a bit of slip and not that hard to deal with day to day.

I'm not sure who to talk to in Bris as I have my suppliers in Melbourne

jooboo
05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
if youre looking at FI and dont wanna blow the budget, look into competition clutches...id say stage 4 would suffice and wont cost and arm and a leg

CRXDEL501
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Are you sure it's slipping?
If you don't know what your diagnosing and you don't know it actually is, then don't jump the gun Since you had a gear problem that was easily fixed
I would be set on turbo, like any person getting a new car they have these plans that never happens
Been there done that lol
Don't get a stage 4 clutch until you are sure
Dude seriously, save your money just do some bolt on mods

mattatnoosa
06-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Are you sure it's slipping?
If you don't know what your diagnosing and you don't know it actually is, then don't jump the gun Since you had a gear problem that was easily fixed
I would be set on turbo, like any person getting a new car they have these plans that never happens
Been there done that lol
Don't get a stage 4 clutch until you are sure
Dude seriously, save your money just do some bolt on mods

Well when I went to shift from 1st to 2nd, I couldnt get any power down just reving, same in 3rd, finally in 4th it would turn the wheels, the clutch is VERY close to being useless.

I am thinking of getting this though...

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/S2000/ScienceofSpeed/Sport_Clutch/

CRXDEL501
06-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Overkill
All I'm saying is alot of people say they are going to do this and what should I buy for it blah blah
If your not definitely going to turbo the car do not get a clutch like that

catacaustic
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I had my clutch replaced about 6 months ago and I have to say that the "standard" clutch that was put in does the job. But i don't do FI, and I am not going to in the near future. My S2K is a daily driver, so keeping it easy to drive is the main thing for me. the biggest thing for me is that my clutch is light and easy to shift with. In my other car the clucth is heavy, and shifting to much leaves me with a tired left leg... but that is a heavy 4WD, so it's a completely different animal.

All that I'd say here is this. In an S2000 you change gears a LOT. This is because you need to keep the engine at the right revs. When you do that you need a light clutch so that you don't get fatigue after driving for an hour or two. If you are keeping NA for now go for a standard/light clutch. When you go FI, then spend the money on the sports clutch because you will need it. There's no point making things harder for yourself before you need to.

ncmx5
11-03-2012, 11:18 PM
I beg to differ. Cost of labour is expensive. I reckon you should go for a solid clutch and work those left calf and quads... Its better to have a clutch with a solid feel to enhance that driving experience. ;)

andyandy
12-03-2012, 11:23 PM
what do you think would be a daily driver clutch not to pricey?

jooboo
13-03-2012, 09:19 AM
exedy oem replacement

sirdavion
14-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm also looking for a new clutch. After reading numerous forums, I'm settled on a Exedy OEM clutch kit (KHC06) and a ACT Pro Lite Flywheels. I'm thinking of purchasing these from the US then get a local mechanic to perform the installation. My question is are there any other parts that I require as well or should those 2 suffice?

stndrd
14-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm also looking for a new clutch. After reading numerous forums, I'm settled on a Exedy OEM clutch kit (KHC06) and a ACT Pro Lite Flywheels. I'm thinking of purchasing these from the US then get a local mechanic to perform the installation. My question is are there any other parts that I require as well or should those 2 suffice?

Make sure you get a new spiggot bearing or bush (can't remember which one the S2000's run) and get that fitted at the same time. A $10 part that can cause so many drama's

catacaustic
14-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I beg to differ. Cost of labour is expensive. I reckon you should go for a solid clutch and work those left calf and quads... Its better to have a clutch with a solid feel to enhance that driving experience. ;)

That's all good for a "track" car. :) Mine's a daily driver. I can spend 3 hours a day in peak-hour traffic, so a heavy clutch is just silly for what I use mine for. If you have yours as more of a weekend car, or even one that is driven in light traffic, then a heavy clutch is fine. But for me, a lighter clutch suits as it's a lot easier to handle in heavy traffic.

mattatnoosa
15-03-2012, 12:43 PM
FYI guys, I'm just ordering a competition clutch 3.5 with 9.5lb flywheel, this should see me to 400rwhp if I get that far lol, just worried about driveability...

CRXDEL501
15-03-2012, 05:06 PM
FYI guys, I'm just ordering a competition clutch 3.5 with 9.5lb flywheel, this should see me to 400rwhp if I get that far lol, just worried about driveability...

I had that Clutch in my type r because I was turboing it. Had the parts just no funds for the labour. Got the clutch done before anything and it was road kill.

Not a daily clutch I'll tell you that

If you dont turbo it you will be going back to oem or something lighter

mattatnoosa
15-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I had that Clutch in my type r because I was turboing it. Had the parts just no funds for the labour. Got the clutch done before anything and it was road kill.

Finally someone that had it! Yea, barefootbonzi is getting the stage 2 and It looks a lot more liveable, but I worry that it won't hold out, however I'm going SC not turbo...

CRXDEL501
15-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Personally I would have gone stage 2. I got recommended stage 2 and went 3. I might have even had 4 can't remember but it was overkill for a daily.

mattatnoosa
15-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Personally I would have gone stage 2. I got recommended stage 2 and went 3. I might have even had 4 can't remember but it was overkill for a daily.

Yea, bit of a difference, stage 4 is 6 puck whereas stage 3.5 is segmented disc, hoping it will be a happy medium

RIHIA
16-03-2012, 12:52 AM
wow what an extreme clutch, i would think of this as track only. hope the drivetrain can handle the extra abuse this will give aswell but seeing as you are boosting it surely axles and a new diff would be on the shopping list.

just some info, im running a exedy hd cushion button in my s15 (drives amazing as a daily) and that has handled every bit of torque thrown at it with no slip or play. pretty sure the sr20 produce more torque than f20c so this may be overkill

mattatnoosa
16-03-2012, 09:42 AM
wow what an extreme clutch, i would think of this as track only. hope the drivetrain can handle the extra abuse this will give aswell but seeing as you are boosting it surely axles and a new diff would be on the shopping list.

just some info, im running a exedy hd cushion button in my s15 (drives amazing as a daily) and that has handled every bit of torque thrown at it with no slip or play. pretty sure the sr20 produce more torque than f20c so this may be overkill

Its not too extreme, it's middle of the way, I spoke to the guy at competition clutches and he thinks stage 3/4 clutches are great for DD / Track work, so exactly what I want.
I probably don't drive my car everyday, so if it's a bit heavy it shouldnt be a problem. axles and diff arent on the list to buy. on s2ki there are 500hp s2k's running fine on stadard gear, bar the clutch, so I know it'll be fine. maybe ill consider upgrading if I get heavy into track, but I don't see that happening...lol

ludecrs
16-03-2012, 10:44 AM
if youre looking at FI and dont wanna blow the budget, look into competition clutches...id say stage 4 would suffice and wont cost and arm and a leg

Negative.... my car has a stage 4 clutch. its super shit and I recommend it to no one.

This.

Guy. He knows.

Just get an exedy HD. Shit I had 420whp and a stock OEM clutch with 125000KM. Unheard of. But I didn't have any issues until I hit over 400hp.

mattatnoosa
16-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Negative.... my car has a stage 4 clutch. its super shit and I recommend it to no one.

This.

Guy. He knows.

Just get an exedy HD. Shit I had 420whp and a stock OEM clutch with 125000KM. Unheard of. But I didn't have any issues until I hit over 400hp.

Well it's been ordered, I dont think it'll be as bad as stage 4, its not a puck clutch, I was so close to getting stage 2 (full face carbon kevlar) but I just wasnt sure if it would hold out, maybe it would lol

mattatnoosa
16-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Well it's been ordered, I dont think it'll be as bad as stage 4, its not a puck clutch, I was so close to getting stage 2 (full face carbon kevlar) but I just wasnt sure if it would hold out, maybe it would lol

Just spoke to the shop, they hadn't shipped it yet, I had reservations about it, so I'm getting stage 2 with a 9.5lb flywheel, should work fine, I don't expect to get 400rwhp from the get go anyway, probs closer to 350, so I think it should work out :)

Thanks for the info guys! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CRXDEL501
16-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Lol
Shouldn't believe everything you find on google :D

barefootbonzai
19-03-2012, 10:04 AM
lol, you're just angry cause you were to weak to go all the way through with your turbo plans! hahaha, need to harden up bro.

Personally, I would have stuck to the stage 3 if you're definitely boosting. But i'm sure stage 2 will also work fine, just wear out a lot faster if you're gonna drive hard with boost.

CRXDEL501
19-03-2012, 11:10 AM
lol, you're just angry cause you were to weak to go all the way through with your turbo plans! hahaha, need to harden bro

Hahahahaha shhhhhhhh