PDA

View Full Version : Jet Hot vs Airborne (Ceramic coatings)

mocchi
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I read JetHot have low qc and bang around customers header but they have durable coatings. Airborne is cheaper in fees but I dont hear much about them.

Anyone here ceramic coat their header with these guys?

Main purpose is to
-Lower engine bay temp
-Reduce/eliminate rust on header after usage.

I used to use cheap SS header from ebay and it rusts within 2 months of usage. Not sure of ss material or its carbon/chromium content. Stainless steel will rust after some high rpm use as the chromium content will mix with carbon when hot, producing chromium carbide leaving less chromium in header and making it more 'mild steel' like.

Now I have new 304 ss header and want to make sure that it doesnt rust after use.

Please share any input or discussion.

EKVTIR-T
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I have tried HPC from Dandy Exhaust on a mild steel header and it worked great with very nice aesthetic finish.

Bludger
05-03-2012, 04:08 PM
No idea with ceramic coating, never used it, but DIY header wrap is pretty effective.

It's just ugly, but since your header is on the firewall side, won't be seeing it much.

Regarding corrosion, won't happen with JDM headers, ever.

dougie_504
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Does it make that big of a difference to bay temps? My d16 headers are ceramic coated which looks nice but for daily driving I haven't noticed any other benefits.

Can they just be high-temp painted to prevent the rust, or would they discolor/peel too easily?

Bludger
05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Does it make that big of a difference to bay temps? My d16 headers are ceramic coated which looks nice but for daily driving I haven't noticed any other benefits.

Can they just be high-temp painted to prevent the rust, or would they discolor/peel too easily?
the difference between wrapped headers & plain headers is quite significant.

dougie_504
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
the difference between wrapped headers & plain headers is quite significant.

I mean ceramic coating, not heat wrapping. Opinion?

mocchi
05-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I read exhaust wraps make our header crack. As for it absorbing moisture / water, how is this possible?
I can only think of rainy days with very short trips (e.g. to coles checkin out chicks), otherwise heat from header for vaporize any moisture?

trism
05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Ive had mates with MX5s, and they heat wrap headers, only to have to replace them after 2 years because they've rusted through.

The wrap keeps the moisture in, and quickens corrosion. It is 100% true, not just a myth.

Lets not forget here, the main reason for heat treating/wrapping headers is not actually to keep the engine bay temps down, its to actually keep the exhaust gas temps UP. As a simple understanding of physics will tell you, when a gas is hotter, its volume is increased. This increases pressure, and as such, increases flow.

So by keeping the exhaust temps hotter, the gas remains at a higher temperature after exiting the cylinder, therefore at a higher pressure, so the exhaust gas velocity is higher. This is useful in both N/A and turbocharged aplications.

When its turboed, higher velocity obviously helps with spooling of the turbo.

With an N/A motor, it helps keep backpressure to a suitable level, and assists with exhaust gas evacuation.

As for Jet Hot vs Airborne, Jet Hot has been around for years. They are highly regarded in the Street Machine/hot rod scene, as is HPC coatings (http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/). Id be more inclines to run with HPC, to be honest, as ive never heard a bad thing about them.

dougie_504
05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I read exhaust wraps make our header crack. As for it absorbing moisture / water, how is this possible?
I can only think of rainy days with very short trips (e.g. to coles checkin out chicks), otherwise heat from header for vaporize any moisture?

I thought that was from heat retention because the wrap prevents the heat from radiating/dissipating elsewhere.

So the header retains a lot of heat, gets even hotter than normal, and can crack if you're unlucky/have a sh!t header.