PDA

View Full Version : remote engine start

typ35
06-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi all, just wondering whether its safe to buy an ebay aftermarket alarm system and install it on my dc5s? the only reason why i want to do this, is because i want remote engine start. and possibly a turbo timer, to warm/cool the car, without the need to be in it, to on/off the engine. The specific item i am lookin at is manufactured by steelmate automotive.
I dont want to spend $$ on a systems like viper, but i just want to get opinions or advice from people that have heard of these ebay alarm systems or have them installed on their vehicles. thanks

TypeS
06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't bother with a no-brand alarm system, nothing is worse than being stranded from a dodgy immobiliser.

Just get a viper, they're not expensive and can be had for easily $200 landed.

The remote start will give you a long range as well ~1.6km

Bludger
06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
why do you need to warm up and cool down the engine?

Jccck
06-03-2012, 05:59 PM
why do you need to warm up and cool down the engine?

Ever just wanted to finish work for the day, walk out to your car and have it's A/C cold and it fully warmed up for a thrashing from the word go?
That's why.

Cops don't like the Remote Start/Turbo Timer side of things.
In NSW i'm fairly certain it's illegal to have your car running whilst unattended (Key in the ignition still counts)
Possibly for a theft or safety concern?

Just make sure they're installed in a hard to see place (Ashtrays, under the dash, glovebox etc) and you'll be right.

Bludger
06-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Ever just wanted to finish work for the day, walk out to your car and have it's A/C cold and it fully warmed up for a thrashing from the word go?
That's why.

In NSW i'm fairly certain it's illegal to have your car running whilst unattended (Key in the ignition still counts)

Just make sure they're installed in a hard to see place (Ashtrays, under the dash, glovebox etc) and you'll be right.
if you leave your car idling to achieve running temp before driving, you will do ten times more damage than driving off from the get go.

typ35
06-03-2012, 06:38 PM
the reason why i need to warm up the engine is, i usually leave to work early in the morning, when temperatures are sub 14 degrees. To walk into the garage at 4 in the morning, in the freezing cold to warm up the car, is becoming a pain, hence why i want remote start. The turbo timer is mainly for days, where ive given the car a little grief, and cannot be bothered waiting for it to cool down, once its at home or elsewhere. this is the actual alarm I am after http://www.speedibizaustralia.com.au/gallery/Advanced%2BCar%2BAlarm%2BSystem/steelmate-858m-new-advanced-car-alarm-systm/53139 .

curtis265
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
That's why.

Letting it idle for ages from a cold start is bad. The oil needs to circulate and it can't do that very quickly when it's at low RPM. This is why they suggest driving gently

your gearbox will not like it when you thrash it when it's cold. this also why they suggest driving gently

EKVTIR-T
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
An idling engine is not operating at peak temperature, resulting in incomplete fuel combustion.
Fuel residues can condense on cylinder wall, contaminate oil and damage engine component.
With more engine idling these residues tend to deposit on spark plugs. The resulting plugs fouling can increase fuel consumption.
Excessive idling can also cause water to condense in the vehicle's exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system.

Residue from iling leads to costly damage and decreases the car’s gas mileage. Idling is bad for the engine pretty much

Bludger
06-03-2012, 07:08 PM
will fowl your plugs.
will gum up valve train (overly rich zorst gasses mixing with oil, gumming it up.)

@ most, 1 minute warm up.

Driving will warm it up and get it to operational temp asap.

trism
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
From an old post of mine.

warming a car up is the worse thing you can do, for a few reasons, if you have a search youll find them all, but here is a quick run down

1. idling causes fuel wash. the excess fuel in the cylinder not being burnt literally washes the oil off the cylinder walls, removing lubrication
2. emissions control devices, specifically the catalytic convertor work when heated up. idling the car isnt going to heat it up, so for the 5 minutes its warming up all the toxic nastys are spewing out the exhaust.
3. youre wasting fuel warming up. the ecu automatically supplies more fuel when cold to prevent stalling. thus wasting petrol (and causing fuel wash)
4. you sit there for 5 mins warming the engine up thinking youre sweet, then pull out and give it a hit thinking its all fine. well its not. where does the power go through before it hits the wheels? the gearbox/rest of the drivetrain. you hit it, and your 'box is cold still and you cause wear on the drivetrain.

thats a basic run down on why its not necessary. simply get in, start the car up and drive away, taking it easy until the temp reaches operating temperature, that way everything warms up at the same time and you dont damage anything

typ35
06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
when i say warm up, i dont leave it running for 10 minutes. maximum is 2- 3 mins and i do keep revs below 3k rpm for about 10 minutes or more. so i dont think what has been posted above, applies to me? back to the original question, its not the remote start im worried about. its the alarm system. will it cause any problems to the car? sorry im a noob when it comes to electronics!

dougie_504
06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
To warm up your car just drive it and keep it to about 2,500 RPM.

Idling is bad. Rev'ing too much when cold it bad.

Remote start is nothing but a wank factor. Might impress the odd girl or surprise somebody walking past your car when you start it from the restaurant. Otherwise just baller-points and not worth it. Doesn't always start properly anyway - if it's very cold where you live there's a good change the remote start won't even crank the engine long enough for it to start properly half the time.

_CRX_
06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
It's illegal to have remote start on a manual car

BennyH
06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Never knew how bad it was to 'warm up' your car. ive got a viper alarm system on mine turned it in in the morning couple of times have a laugh with sone mates never knew it did more bad then good. and yeah pretty scary having it on a manual car. if its in gear it will keep cranking jumping a metre or so infron.

trism
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
when i say warm up, i dont leave it running for 10 minutes. maximum is 2- 3 mins and i do keep revs below 3k rpm for about 10 minutes or more. so i dont think what has been posted above, applies to me? back to the original question, its not the remote start im worried about. its the alarm system. will it cause any problems to the car? sorry im a noob when it comes to electronics!

That 2-3 minutes on initial start up is when all the damage happens.

Here's what you should do:
-Get in car
-start car
-put on seat belt
-drive away

mocchi
07-03-2012, 10:42 AM
he just wants a warm seat, gear knob & heater when he gets in, not really about warming up engine.
poor bloke.

maybe buy a remote start heater and put it in your car

inb4caronfire

Jccck
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I always knew idling for long periods was a bad thing.. But just 2-3 minutes is enough to cause damage?
That makes Sydney traffic a nightmare in more than one way ><

If using a Turbo Timer after shutdown (After a 'spirited drive') for say, 60 seconds.. Are you saving your BB Turbo from damage, at the cost of hurting your Motor?

curtis265
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
in both cases, no. you should already be warm and the oil should be well circulated so idling is fine

mocchi
07-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I always knew idling for long periods was a bad thing.. But just 2-3 minutes is enough to cause damage?
That makes Sydney traffic a nightmare in more than one way ><

If using a Turbo Timer after shutdown (After a 'spirited drive') for say, 60 seconds.. Are you saving your BB Turbo from damage, at the cost of hurting your Motor?

seems like its more intended towards cold start idle (fuel wash) where ecu squirt more fuel on startup
idk if this is still apply for new engine like K series as they have AAV valve

when coolant temperature is below 65c, this valve allows more air to go in combustion chamber bypassing TB, creating more lean fuel mixture.
engine warms up quicker.

dougie_504
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
You can get a safety switch that prevents your car from moving with remote start when you've left it in gear. It's about $70 + install.

And I've known people to hook up tiny heaters near their feet so they are warm straight away in the morning - much better option than damaging your engine :D

Bludger
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/htfu_t_shirt-p235878346083877601z7tqq_400.jpg

trism
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
in both cases, no. you should already be warm and the oil should be well circulated so idling is fine

seems like its more intended towards cold start idle (fuel wash) where ecu squirt more fuel on startup

This.

Drifter995
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
You can get a safety switch that prevents your car from moving with remote start when you've left it in gear. It's about $70 + install.

And I've known people to hook up tiny heaters near their feet so they are warm straight away in the morning - much better option than damaging your engine :D

I know somebody who hooked up two hair dryers in their car.... having said that, it was a rally car, and the hair dryers were to demist the front windscreen.... But y'know.. point still stands :3

senna
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
the reason why i need to warm up the engine is, i usually leave to work early in the morning, when temperatures are sub 14 degrees. To walk into the garage at 4 in the morning, in the freezing cold to warm up the car, is becoming a pain, hence why i want remote start. The turbo timer is mainly for days, where ive given the car a little grief, and cannot be bothered waiting for it to cool down, once its at home or elsewhere. this is the actual alarm I am after http://www.speedibizaustralia.com.au/gallery/Advanced%2BCar%2BAlarm%2BSystem/steelmate-858m-new-advanced-car-alarm-systm/53139 .

Sub 14 degrees? Really?

If it was -14 i could understand - just throw a jumper on man...

Drifter995
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Sub 14 degrees? Really?

If it was -14 i could understand - just throw a jumper on man...

or a few thousand...

Fredoops
07-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Hmm.... Guys... The ECU measures the engine temp and sets the rpm at the optimal level during warm up... So the oil will circulate

Bludger
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Hmm.... Guys... The ECU measures the engine temp and sets the rpm at the optimal level during warm up... So the oil will circulate
that's not the problem.

only takes 1 or 2 seconds for the oil to get to where it needs to go.

trism
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
What's your point?

Doesn't change anything I've said.

CrystalSkull
07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Your car will warm up at the first set of red traffic lights :)

euRo_noob
09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Never knew letting your engine warm up was so bad D: Luckily I stopped..

Bludger
09-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Never knew letting your engine warm up was so bad D: Luckily I stopped..
warming up your engine isn't bad.

Prolonging the warmup period is.