PDA

View Full Version : apexi ws2 break in

AlexK
06-03-2012, 10:30 PM
hey guys,

As the title explains i have just bought a apexi ws2 muffler and i got it installed and it sounds great when driving normal and sometimes randomly it has its own little moment and turns into a ebay job cannon...

Just so you guys know i have headers high flow cat 100 c and 2.25 " pipe with resonator ( hot dog )

The muffler is 60 mm and is NOT straight through

Does this mufflernhave some sort of break period?

Thanks, its really anoying me lol

EKVTIR-T
06-03-2012, 10:36 PM
All I can think of off the top of my head is one of the join flanges is opening as the engine moves under load.

Does the system have a flex pipe or donut flange? Or is it all hard welded ?

AlexK
06-03-2012, 11:02 PM
It has a doughnut flange i just cant figure out whats going wrong i highly dought apexi would give me a dud muffler lol there must be something els goin on... :(

dougie_504
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
All brand new exhaust have a break-in period where you can small a burning smell and eventually the sound changes.

How long have you had it? Brand spanking?

mocchi
07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
idk with apexi but if the muffler has shit quality packing (fibreglass), it will go louder after a while.
best to use stainless steel packing

muffler & resonator

AlexK
07-03-2012, 05:46 PM
idk with apexi but if the muffler has shit quality packing (fibreglass), it will go louder after a while.
best to use stainless steel packing

Im quite sure its stainless steel packaging :)

muffler & resonator

All brand new exhaust have a break-in period where you can small a burning smell and eventually the sound changes.

How long have you had it? Brand spanking?

Yer man its brand knew! and it sounds like a tin can lol.. apexi claim is has Zero exsesive noise..

BUT i just came back from performance exhaust center ( Great install very happy :) )

And yesterday i was wiggling the muffler and i could hear this rattle coming from the mid section of the car, i thought the exhaust may have been touching something but it happens to be that my Cat has actually failed and is broken we can hear the honey comb bit inside rattling around, so atm its sorta like a test pipe..

Im no expert but im quite sure thats what is making the high pitched sound when i come to put my foot down..

some other thoughts would be great !

thanks for all your replies

dougie_504
08-03-2012, 05:30 PM
If it's stainless steel then it will sound higher pitched when you give it a squirt, whereas mild steel is more of a droning and less high pitched.

Nonetheless, this is subjective, and none of us has heard it. Therefore yes it could be your car, so get a 100cel high-flow cat and see if it fixes it.

I'll close this thread for you so that you can continue in your new thread.