PDA

View Full Version : Ignition from another car?

manonastick
08-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't know if this is possible or not but is possible to replace your ignition with another car and use the keys from that car instead? Because my car only came with one key and no red keys and thought if i manage to savage the keys + ignition from another car might be cheaper than getting one key copied.
Thanks in advance

2MPRS
08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
getting a key copied is only like 5bucks for your ek1. even if u did change the ignition and got seperate keys they wouldnt work on the door and boot locks of your car

Drifter995
08-03-2012, 10:30 PM
getting a key copied is only like 5bucks for your ek1. even if u did change the ignition and got seperate keys they wouldnt work on the door and boot locks of your car

and to add to that, getting the locks rebarrelled would cost you an arm and a leg.
In the end, it's just worth it to get some keys copied. seriously.

dougie_504
08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Waaaay too much hassle to change ignition etc. It's possible to adjust old locks to suit the new key (internal fingers are adjusted to fit the key shape) but you're looking at carrying two keys, one for doors/boot and one for ignition.

Just get like 1-2 spares cut. Very cheap and quick at any locksmith.

simmy
08-03-2012, 10:35 PM
not worth it mun, what dougie said

manonastick
08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah. .
Forgot about the doors n boot...
Is it really that cheap to get keys copied??
My friend with his s2k cost him 150 for key copied

dougie_504
08-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Maybe his key has in-built central-locking device?

I dunno my AP stuff that well TBH.

But for a bare metal key with no electronic attached it's VERY cheap. I also get mine engraved so I know what car it's for :D

IV73CI
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Oh yeah. .
Forgot about the doors n boot...
Is it really that cheap to get keys copied??
My friend with his s2k cost him 150 for key copied

for extra security ...have u considered this?

bunnings has all parts required and u can buy mutiple padlocks wit 1 key opens all.

so padlock all the doors / boot..

http://www.mrbeanvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mr-bean-army-cadets-mini-car-8.jpg (http://www.mrbeanvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mr-bean-army-cadets-mini-car-8.jpg)

inb4bunningsshopping

Drifter995
08-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Maybe his key has in-built central-locking device?

I dunno my AP stuff that well TBH.

But for a bare metal key with no electronic attached it's VERY cheap. I also get mine engraved so I know what car it's for :D

That is a good idea, but all... five? cars of mine have different keys... so not really needed for me :3.. the old civ has a very distinct looking key, the bluebird and appollo look similar.. and the eg and the laser are similar, but different. you can usually tell by the code on the back (if going silv or whatever the brand is) says hond or something on the back. fun times.
Cheap as chips too. Got a two spare keys for the first gen, and a spare for the bluebird for $15 i think it was... pretty awesome. Now if only I can get my immobilizer copied >.>

ECU-MAN
09-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I can program in new Red keys if you have lost your original red key. PM me if you need help