PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Wheel Nuts?

spetz
09-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering, has anyone had their wheel nuts stolen? Specifically some of the brighter colored, or more expensive kind?

I ask because years ago my chrome valve caps were stolen, and wondering whether having "fancy" wheel nuts can pose a danger to the car from thieves?

Sleepy.
09-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately, it does happen & has happen to a few of my mates.

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 09:50 AM
just buy oem standard lug nuts... and buy a set of lock nuts ftw to protect your wheels.

note* - if the theives wants your wheels, they will get your wheels one way or another.

lock nuts will help delay their process but will manage to steal your wheels if they wanted to.

trism
09-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Standard OEM nuts are dangerous on aftermarket wheels.

OEM will use a ball seat, after market will use conical.

If you use a ball seat nut on an aftermarket wheel, rather than having the whole face of the nut in contact there will be a 1mm strip.

curtis265
09-03-2012, 10:44 AM
just buy oem standard lug nuts... and buy a set of lock nuts ftw to protect your wheels.

note* - if the theives wants your wheels, they will get your wheels one way or another.

lock nuts will help delay their process but will manage to steal your wheels if they wanted to.

nooooooo! OEM are spherical shape and aftermarket are conical, they won't contact right

edit: was beaten to it

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Standard OEM nuts are dangerous on aftermarket wheels.

OEM will use a ball seat, after market will use conical.

If you use a ball seat nut on an aftermarket wheel, rather than having the whole face of the nut in contact there will be a 1mm strip.

How is this dangerous?

OP did not specify the exact wheel type - its mentioned "fancy".

I have aftermarket wheels on my car and im still using OEM wheel lugs/nuts as they fitted and i didnt want the lug nuts to be sticking out.

it fits well and never had any issues.

to top it off why the fukc did i get a -VE for my post?

not having a go at you trism - your a mad kunt - but other individuals

fcken haterz!

trism
09-03-2012, 03:13 PM
OP did not specify the exact wheel type -

But you wouldn't really be running aftermarket nuts on stock wheels.

Here is why its dangerous.

Here's a stock nut, notice the rounded shape
http://img.tapatalk.com/c094756c-8fa8-0977.jpg

Now here is an aftermarket, notice the flat sides
http://img.tapatalk.com/c094756c-8fd2-ea08.jpg

The lug seat inside stock wheels is ball seated and inside aftermarket are conical/tapered seat.

So this is what it looks like with the correct nuts

http://img.tapatalk.com/c0947568-9095-2585.jpg

The entire face contacts.

Here's what it looks like with stock nuts
http://img.tapatalk.com/c0947568-90b5-951a.jpg

The dark coloured in area is where it isn't contacting. If you refer to the first pic of the stock nut, see that thin strip across it? That's all that's holding the wheel in place.

That's why its dangerous.

Bludger
09-03-2012, 03:18 PM
How is this dangerous?

OP did not specify the exact wheel type - its mentioned "fancy".

I have aftermarket wheels on my car and im still using OEM wheel lugs/nuts as they fitted and i didnt want the lug nuts to be sticking out.

to top it off why the fukc did i get a -VE for my post?

not having a go at you trism - your a mad kunt - but other individuals

fcken haterz!
deploy the cat.

http://www.profilebrand.com/funny-pictures/category/cats/608_stop-posting.gif

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 03:22 PM
nice diagram man +1 ...

as i said, ive got this fitted on my civic... no issues.

on my fozzy, ive got aftermarket lugs/nuts and got both my rear wheels on stockies (as my low profiles are bold) .. - no issues and no wobbly feel...

but yes your right too ... for peace of mind ...:)

Bludger
09-03-2012, 03:24 PM
issues or not.

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/en.wikipedia.org+wiki+Leif...+celebrating+Leif+eri kson+_7887e513d45f563de9832db912515eab.jpg

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
issues or not.

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/en.wikipedia.org+wiki+Leif...+celebrating+Leif+eri kson+_7887e513d45f563de9832db912515eab.jpg

dude i knw wtf im talking about..

so quit it with your irrelevant -VE's ...

curtis265
09-03-2012, 03:32 PM
http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/kingfish51-albums-truck-pics-picture266-lug-nut-types.jpg

if u don't have the proper contact patch the nuts are likely to come off over time...

trism
09-03-2012, 03:34 PM
nice diagram man +1 ...

as i said, ive got this fitted on my civic... no issues.

on my fozzy, ive got aftermarket lugs/nuts and got both my rear wheels on stockies (as my low profiles are bold) .. - no issues and no wobbly feel...

but yes your right too ... for peace of mind ...:)

There might not be issues or wobbles. But the fact is, rather than having the full face of the nut holding the wheel on, there's about 1mm. Its all about spreading the load equally through the nut, rather than the force being put on a tiny little area, and causing stress cracks in the nut, which could lead to splitting.

mocchi
09-03-2012, 03:35 PM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5329/ginger2t.jpg

Bludger
09-03-2012, 03:37 PM
How is this dangerous?

-ve is warranted, giving incorrect, unsafe advice

you're saying it like it's no problem to have ball type lug nuts on conical shaped wheel.

curtis265
09-03-2012, 03:42 PM
you may be lucky but someone else mightn't be in the future.

saying that a tiny contact patch is OK is like trying to convince me to run bicycle tyres on my car and telling me they won't ever break traction

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering, has anyone had their wheel nuts stolen? Specifically some of the brighter colored, or more expensive kind?

I ask because years ago my chrome valve caps were stolen, and wondering whether having "fancy" wheel nuts can pose a danger to the car from thieves?

Funny that the OP's question was will a fancy wheel nut/lug be an attraction or pose a danger to the car from thieves...

so all responses provided doesnt relate to the OP all -ve for all.

Instead u guys attack my answer which related to OP about fancy vs oem shitty look.. As shitty look will/may discourage thieves.. But if they really want ur wheels they will get it one way or another.

U guys attack on a totally diff topic towards safety of the lugs..

He wasnt askng if it would be safe to drve with these fancy lugs.

Also where was no mentioning of any type of wheels either.

And u guys -VE me coz apparently i dont knw wtf im talkin about and im suggesting dangerous advise??

Get real and read the fckn original post/question.

All u guys should get -VE...for invalid answers not relating to OP question.

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 03:58 PM
you may be lucky but someone else mightn't be in the future.

saying that a tiny contact patch is OK is like trying to convince me to run bicycle tyres on my car and telling me they won't ever break traction

Way off the topic to OP..

Wow its getting worse ..

Moving to another forum too many haterz, trollers, spammers on this forum..

L8trz..

mocchi
09-03-2012, 04:00 PM
dude i knw wtf im talking about..

so quit it with your irrelevant -VE's ...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/31/129067686375358353.jpg

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/280x280/9585682.jpg

u mad?
09-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Funny that the OP's question was will a fancy wheel nut/lug be an attraction or pose a danger to the car from thieves...

so all responses provided doesnt relate to the OP all -ve for all.

Instead u guys attack my answer which related to OP about fancy vs oem shitty look.. As shitty look will/may discourage thieves.. But if they really want ur wheels they will get it one way or another.

U guys attack on a totally diff topic towards safety of the lugs..

He wasnt askng if it would be safe to drve with these fancy lugs.

Also where was no mentioning of any type of wheels either.

And u guys -VE me coz apparently i dont knw wtf im talkin about and im suggesting dangerous advise??

Get real and read the fckn original post/question.

All u guys should get -VE...for invalid answers not relating to OP question.

They are making sure op doesn't put the incorrect (ie dangerous) nuts on his car.

trism
09-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Because it works the other way too.

Run aftermarket tapered nuts on a stock wheel with a spherical seat and you'll have the same tiny contact patch.

mocchi
09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Because it works the other way too.

Run aftermarket tapered nuts on a stock wheel with a spherical seat and you'll have the same tiny contact patch.

depending on the wheels, it will deform to suit stronger material
had a cheap aftermarket wheels and i used oem nuts.

the wheels deformed to suit the steel oem nuts. not saying this is good
i was more thinking this deformation on wheel might stress it and crack it?
maybe im just paranoid but idk. just brainstorming.

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 04:18 PM
They are making sure op doesn't put the incorrect (ie dangerous) nuts on his car.

Those responses are great and relevant if the question was asked " will it be safe, blah blah lah"

But it wasnt asked, a diff topic was asked.

So all the -ve given to me are stupid and irrelevant.

Common sense here...

My response was towards the OP not some fckin made up question that every1 started to respond to... Lol

Off the topic: if aftermarket lugs/nuts were deemed dangerous due to compability, should they have a disclaimer on all their products and ADR should deny import/usage of these aftermarket items??

When i got my lugs there was no warning sticker nor any disclaimer for incorrect fitment.

Just my two cents...

(just cleaning up my inbox then imma close my acc. If any1 wants it PM me asap b4 i close it off)

trism
09-03-2012, 04:23 PM
depending on the wheels, it will deform to suit stronger material
had a cheap aftermarket wheels and i used oem nuts.

the wheels deformed to suit the steel oem nuts. not saying this is good
i was more thinking this deformation on wheel might stress it and crack it?
maybe im just paranoid but idk. just brainstorming.

Yeah definately this is true.

u mad?
09-03-2012, 04:27 PM
(just cleaning up my inbox then imma close my acc. If any1 wants it PM me asap b4 i close it off)

lmao u'll be back

u mad?
09-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Common sense here...

very rich coming from a guy telling op to use incorrect lug nuts.

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 04:29 PM

lmao u'll be back

No i wont..

Laterz yall.... Enjoy harassing others

trism
09-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Those responses are great and relevant if the question was asked " will it be safe, blah blah lah"

Common sense here...

My response was towards the OP not some fckim made up question that every1 started to respond to... Lol

Off the topic: if aftermarket lugs/nits were deemed dangerous due to compability, should they have a disclaimer on all their products and ADR should deny import/usage of these aftermarket items??

When i got my lugs there was no warning sticker nor any disclaimer for incorrect fitment.

Just my two cents...

Ok so first up, these forums are discussions. Not many topics stay on track the entire time. If you asked about headers, and then then discussion led to ways to prevent the studs from breaking, wouldn't get the shits.

So I simply stated that either way, using the wrong style of nuts is bad.

With regards to a disclaimer, do you buy a brand new car, and it comes with a disclaimer for everything not to do with it? No it doesn't. When you buy a set of wheels, why should the manufacturer tell you to run tapered nuts (in actual fact, I think they do), when you should've done your own research?

Why should the people who sell lugnuts have a disclaimer saying make sure they're suitable, when they clearly say they are conical or spherical, and you should buy the correct product for you car? Its not Rycos fault if you go and buy an oil filter for a Falcon to fit on your Honda, you should know the difference.

And finally, why are you getting so upset of some feedback points some people are giving to you on the fcuking INTERNET?????

ITS NOT LIKE THEY REFLECT ON YOU AS A PERSON IN THE REAL WORLD!!!!

Lukey
09-03-2012, 04:31 PM

Common sense here...

My response was towards the OP not some fckin made up question that every1 started to respond to... Lol

Off the topic: if aftermarket lugs/nuts were deemed dangerous due to compability, should they have a disclaimer on all their products and ADR should deny import/usage of these aftermarket items??

Just my two cents...

are you retarded?

mocchi
09-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Ok so first up, these forums are discussions. Not many topics stay on track the entire time. If you asked about headers, and then then discussion led to ways to prevent the studs from breaking, wouldn't get the shits.

With regards to a disclaimer, do you buy a brand new car, and it comes with a disclaimer for everything not to do with it? No it doesn't. When you buy a set of wheels, why should the manufacturer tell you to run tapered nuts (in actual fact, I think they do), when you should've done your own research?

Why should the people who sell lugnuts have a disclaimer saying make sure they're suitable, when they clearly say they are conical or spherical, and you should buy the correct product for you car? Its not Rycos fault if you go and buy an oil filter for a Falcon to fit on your Honda, you should know the difference.

And finally, why are you getting so upset of some feedback points some people are giving to you on the fcuking INTERNET?????

cos ozhonda4lyfe

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar28865_10.gif

IV73CI
09-03-2012, 04:35 PM

No it doesnt REFLECT ON ME, BUT WHEN THEY START SAYING SHIT BOUT ME IN THE SPAM THREAD THEN ITS PERSONAL.

U see this,

Anyways..

It was a nice time here,

Laterz im off... Looks like no1 wanted a free acc. Mite just giv it to sum1 else.

Byeeeeeeee yallllllll

Lukey
09-03-2012, 04:39 PM
gtfo.

u mad?
09-03-2012, 04:47 PM
No it doesnt REFLECT ON ME, BUT WHEN THEY START SAYING SHIT BOUT ME IN THE SPAM THREAD THEN ITS PERSONAL.

U see this,

Anyways..

It was a nice time here,

Laterz im off... Looks like no1 wanted a free acc. Mite just giv it to sum1 else.

Byeeeeeeee yallllllll

llllloooollol u were having a sook before anything was mentioned in the spam thread.

all i said is that you give out bad information on a consistent basis, do you not agree?

and who the fuk would want your account lol.

you said you're leaving, welll then, what are you waiting for?

Symphorced
09-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Good thread is good!!

curtis265
09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Way off the topic to OP..

Wow its getting worse ..

Moving to another forum too many haterz, trollers, spammers on this forum..

L8trz..

dude you're a knob.

you brought up the off topic discussion by provided wrong information. Call it nitpicking in a way but it's wrong information and you will be corrected asap.

You must be the kinda guy who gets lots of "i told you so's"

DLO01
09-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Discuss wheel nut seats here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?89126-Alloy-Lug-Nut-Dangers

Hi guys,

As said, of course it does happen. Answered / Closed.

Lukey
09-03-2012, 06:26 PM
inb4close

Bludger
09-03-2012, 06:27 PM
inb4close

EKVTIR-T
09-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Shutup Lukey