PDA

View Full Version : Dohc ZC internals query

Lubetube
09-03-2012, 04:39 PM
hey there.

having recently deciding to rebuild the internals of the zc engine that i have, i was just wondering what are good brands or recommended parts that i should get?

interested in upgrading my: (open to sugggestions whether to get / not to get )
- injectors
- camshafts
- cam gears
- valve springs
- valves
- exhaust manifold
- intake manifold

also would appreciate on which upgrade is more important than others, and what is a good bang for my buck.

thanks!!

trism
09-03-2012, 04:58 PM
First up, are you turboing or building a high performane n/a, or just planning a refresh?

If you're just planning a refresh, don't bother going all out, just replace everything in the head with oem stuff.

I mean, the zc head can handle 350+ hp in stock form, so why bother upgrading?

Lubetube
09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
woah no idea the zc had so much potential.

was just hoping to do high powered n/a, but turbo might be an option as well.

+ for zc parts, (silly question) but do i just look up d16 parts as well?

trism
09-03-2012, 08:39 PM
The twincam ZC is pretty much the same as the Aussie d16a8 and American d16a1

If you just want some extra zip, you can bolt on a turbo and run 2psi on stock internals and computer, pull about 90kw at the wheels.

Use a tunable ecu and wind the boost up to 7psi and make about 130

Bigger injectors, and the stock internals can hold 10psi and make 150

After that a set of aftermarket rods and pistons and screw the boost up to 15psi and you'll make 200+ all day with a good tune.

Stock head with a bigger throttle body is pretty much all you need.

dougie_504
10-03-2012, 02:47 AM
First up, are you turboing or building a high performane n/a, or just planning a refresh?

If you're just planning a refresh, don't bother going all out, just replace everything in the head with some stuff.

I mean, the zc head can handle 350+ hp in stock form, so why bother upgrading?

Sorry to hijack, but 350HP is quite a lot isn't it? 260kw or so at the engine~

Still has the same bore x stroke as the SOHC D's which are known to sh!t themselves at around 200HP, right? So where does the extra strength come from? Are the rods designed differently?

I do agree though just replace the gaskets and seals, use the OEM parts, and if you want power just turbo it. One way or another it will be able to make good power. It's a nice zippy engine in stock/fresh form anyway.

trism
10-03-2012, 08:15 AM
I didn't day anything about the bottom end. I said the head can handle 350 in stock form.

In my second post I go on to say that anything over 200hp requires rods and pistons.

:)

dougie_504
10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Ah sorry mis-read. Early hours of the morning~ lol

hmetro24
10-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Just turbo this engine, Na is gonna be a bit expensive for this engine, and a bit harder to find Aftermarkert parts for it.
you can use after market D-series low compression pistons and rods. Arp head Bolts, if you wanna boost it more than 8-10 psi.
Turbo kit and Ecu on stock internal will give you around 130kw~, as Trism said.
If you wanna boost it or build High performance NA, just make sure it's healthy engine.

Lubetube
10-03-2012, 04:09 PM
thanks for the response guys.

yeah im hoping for something at least 150kw atw.

problem is that my engine's done 320k's and i was hoping to just rebuild/refresh it before i slap on a turbo. scared that turbo will my tear my shit apart if i dont.

so any ebay turbo will do?

appreciate the feedback guys :)

gen2 CRX
10-03-2012, 06:42 PM
The twincam ZC is pretty much the same as the Aussie d16a8 and American d16a1

If you just want some extra zip, you can bolt on a turbo and run 2psi on stock internals and computer, pull about 90kw at the wheels.

Use a tunable ecu and wind the boost up to 7psi and make about 130

Bigger injectors, and the stock internals can hold 10psi and make 150

After that a set of aftermarket rods and pistons and screw the boost up to 15psi and you'll make 200+ all day with a good tune.

Stock head with a bigger throttle body is pretty much all you need.

My d16a8 with i/h/e pulled 84kw atw, motor is currently for sale.

gen2 CRX
10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
thanks for the response guys.

yeah im hoping for something at least 150kw atw.

problem is that my engine's done 320k's and i was hoping to just rebuild/refresh it before i slap on a turbo. scared that turbo will my tear my shit apart if i dont.

so any ebay turbo will do?

appreciate the feedback guys :)

build the block with with d series forged rods and low compression pistons. You can use the ebay turbo kit and upgrade it as you go.

dougie_504
10-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Or just buy Jonny's old block for $200 with sleeved cylinders and forged internals. Made anywhere from 200-240kw and he ran 11.6 with it.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?161439-Garage-Sale-B20-ZC-sleeved-Block-wheels-Turbo-stuff-ef9-skirts-b18-hoses-ef8