PDA

View Full Version : Gruppe M Intake Review

azzacrombe
10-03-2012, 11:09 AM
So I just had my Gruppe M intake fitted earlier in the week by Cypher Industries here in Perth who did a really good job and do a lot of work on JDM cars for any Perth locals.

Install: Although I didn’t do the install by myself, it was a pretty much straight forward bolt on kit from what I was told. No major issues with the install. Minor problems, firstly the heat shield was kinda rubbing on the chassis of the car when it was first installed. So basically every time I put my foot on the pedal, I would hear this “CLANK” noise. No biggie though, just involved adjusting the screw and bolt on the left side of the intake (looking at the engine from the front) and you can move it down easily. Second issue was the vibrations when u start really putting your foot down going past 5k revs. This again isn’t a big problem and can be solved by getting some silicon tape and putting it on top of the intake so when u shut your bonnet it will push the intake down to sit flush against the car.

Finish: The intake sits really well in the engine with nothing being have to be moved around and looks really clean and neat.

Performance: Sufficient gain mid range. Once you get past 4k revs, you can really feel a pull and your pretty much pushed back in your seat. You can most definitely hear a loud ROAR from the intake which really gives your engine a beastly feel. The more you stay above 4k revs, the more HP your putting out and the quicker you’re going to go (obviously).

Fuel Economy: So far, under normal circumstances, I don’t think it really effects your fuel economy, although I do find that I am addicted to that ROAR from the intake and hence see myself often hitting 4k-4.5k from 2nd – 3rd and 3rd - 4th. Hence your fuel economy will depend on what type of driver you are.

Notes: Key notes after the install, you have to check the intake from time to time so see if all the clamps are tight and nothing is loose. Also when washing your car, you have to remember to put a bag on the head of the intake so that water doesn’t go in. The intake does have a small hole to get rid of a little water that might get in, but excess water wont be able to escape that quick and if you don’t cover the intake your going to get water in your pod and that going to mess it up, not to mention you might also hydrolock your engine.

Overall: Pretty happy with the intake and the price I paid for it. You get a sufficient power gain along with the added grunt from the intake noise. Your pretty much guaranteed performance and don’t have to worry about heatsoak or driving over puddles with the risk of hydrolock. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

azzacrombe
10-03-2012, 11:10 AM
To add to the above, I bought the intake from xposed. Great customer service, very helpful and efficient. Delivery was right on time. Kepp up the good work guys!!

junoki
10-03-2012, 11:34 AM
hows the quality? for example - materials used (obviously carbon fiber), nuts and bolts? does it justify the price?

i paid about 450 bux for a brand new topfuel carbon chamber... and i though it wasnt bad for the price, quality was quite high I.e finish of the polish on the carbon fiber, but before that i had a j's tsukino (whale dick) intake - and i have to say its spectacular quality / but oddly shaped compared to the topfuel chamber, nuts and clamps were gangsta quality

my 2c

junoki
10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
too bad gruppe dont make ther intakes for 'eg's

azzacrombe
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
hows the quality? for example - materials used (obviously carbon fiber), nuts and bolts? does it justify the price?

i paid about 450 bux for a brand new topfuel carbon chamber... and i though it wasnt bad for the price, quality was quite high I.e finish of the polish on the carbon fiber, but before that i had a j's tsukino (whale dick) intake - and i have to say its spectacular quality / but oddly shaped compared to the topfuel chamber, nuts and clamps were gangsta quality

my 2c

IMO it definately worth the price. When ppl look for intake, theres so much debating about heatsoak/hydrolock and power gain/noise etc (I did this for about a year). This intake has it all, eliminates any issues with heatsoak and hydrolock AND has a gauranteed power gain and a beasty grunt. All materials used were top quality. I had read a review somewhere the one guys heatshield had broke, but when I looked and fiddled around with the one I got, it was really strong, so not sure how it would break. Nuts and bolts looked pretty good as well.

HauLe_
12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Do you get a whistle noise with the gruppe m intake? i seem to get alot of it depending on how far i press my foot on the pedal. Usually its about 10% of my foot done and it'll start to get the whistle sound

Zilli
12-03-2012, 06:48 PM
^this is common tto all aftermarket intakes

neil1112
12-03-2012, 10:29 PM
IMO it definately worth the price. When ppl look for intake, theres so much debating about heatsoak/hydrolock and power gain/noise etc (I did this for about a year). This intake has it all, eliminates any issues with heatsoak and hydrolock AND has a gauranteed power gain and a beasty grunt. All materials used were top quality. I had read a review somewhere the one guys heatshield had broke, but when I looked and fiddled around with the one I got, it was really strong, so not sure how it would break. Nuts and bolts looked pretty good as well.

I was in the same boat as you, as well as many people, in deciding on an intake. I was deciding on either Gruppe M or Injen when I purchased my DC5R last year. After much consideration, I ended up buying the Injen mainly because I couldn't justify paying double and a bit for a carbon intake and receive relatively the same amount of gains. The hydrolock issue is obviously a main factor to consider. In terms of Injen, hydrolock will only occur if the pod is submerged. Based on review, Gruppe M can also get hydrolock as the pod is a little exposed, so when you are washing your car, for instance, you need to cover to ensure no water goes in (correct me if I'm wrong). Personally, it wouldn't be practical to cover your intake every time you want to wash your car because there will be a time where u will forget to cover it. don't get me wrong..gruppe M is awesome and if funds isn't an issue go for it

thats just my 2 cents

azzacrombe
13-03-2012, 11:10 AM
^fair comment Neil. There are a lot of people on here who swear by Ingen and from what Ive heard it is a good intake. But just as I was going to get one, one of my mates (who had an Injen CAI) hydrolocked his car (new civic Type R) while driving over a puddle. And that put me off.

The Gruppe M intake does have a little hole at the bottom that gets rid of any water that might get in, so you can either leave it open and let all the water drain out, or cover it. I cover it because with washing you car theres a lot of water and that small hole wont get rid of all the water that fast and hence theres a risk that the water might reach the pod and damage it. Its not a big hassel because covering it with a bag takes a few seconds and you wash your car about once a month? unless you take your car to a car wash or wash your car once a week....then its a hassel.

azzacrombe
13-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Do you get a whistle noise with the gruppe m intake? i seem to get alot of it depending on how far i press my foot on the pedal. Usually its about 10% of my foot done and it'll start to get the whistle sound

Havent heard a whistle noise from my intake yet. The deep groan from the intake when i get above 4k revs is pretty loud and maybe covers it up?

HauLe_
14-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Havent heard a whistle noise from my intake yet. The deep groan from the intake when i get above 4k revs is pretty loud and maybe covers it up?

then you dont have it. i get it depending on how heavy my foot is.