PDA

View Full Version : Problem When letting go of the throttle

eren
11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi lately i realised when driving for a while letting go of the throttle (Gas) the car feels like its braking for me :/ is this normal or what! ?
car btw is ( EK1 GLi 96 Hatch ) Ohh and its Automatic lol

trism
11-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes its normal.

eren
11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Is it because it's auto or are all like that and thx

trism
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
its the way that auto boxes work

zhong
11-03-2012, 12:48 PM
If it feels like it's "braking" for you - then maybe give your brakes a check? But if you're talking about "braking" in terms of deceleration then yes, it is normal for you to slow down when you let off the gas.

connorling
12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
the car decelerate because of the friction within the engine.

if you r saying full on braking when u let go the gas, then check the brake, it might be sealed. it happened to my mate's bike.

Bludger
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
if you're not accelerating, you're slowing down.

lol

EKVTIR-T
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
if you're not accelerating, you're slowing down.

lol

Cant you stay at a constant?

Bludger
12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Cant you stay at a constant?
sure, it is possible.

if you were headed on an even platform or an ascending gradient, you would need to maintain a degree of throttle to continue constant velocity. That degree of throttle would of course depend on the gradient.

But

If your trajectory had changed & your path is now descending, preserving gradual, even pressure on the deceleration pedal OR handbrake lever, will be required to achieve linear velocity.
Another way to adhere to a constant downward movement is to keep the vehicle in a lower gear, be it the vehicle in question has an automatic/semi-automatic/manual transmission.

Glocker
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Can u feel a sudden and obvious deceleration? If so there might be a problem. Autos tend to 'cruise' more due to the lack of inertia compared to manuals.

lilthug
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
its called engine braking

its normal

senna
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Can u feel a sudden and obvious deceleration? If so there might be a problem. Autos tend to 'cruise' more due to the lack of inertia compared to manuals.

Lack of Inertia? Are you talking about the inertia in the Torque converter?

Autos have the run away feeling when you are off throttle because when the engine rpm drops the torque converter releases and takes load away from the gearbox. Some Autos are programmed with gradient control logic so they can tell when the vehicle is going down hill and then hold a lower gear with the torque converter "locked up" rather than going straight to the higher gear. Some version of gradient control logic work up-hill too by not allowing the box to shift up thus taking the motor out of the peak torque range.

Sorry if its a bit off topic, just clarifying...

EKVTIR-T
12-03-2012, 04:07 PM
If its happening out of the blue then somethings a miss..

Have a feeling it might be handbrake seized.

Jack up the rear of car and check that the wheels spin free and dont bind

Bludger
12-03-2012, 04:10 PM
http://troll.me/images/idiot-gaston/what-am-i-reading.jpg

TranceZiggy
14-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Seems fairly normal to me.

Although, I drive a manual, the engine does seem to do its own sort of 'braking' (different to just losing speed while not accelerating).

And it's not abrupt or random, it's a constant braking. I've noticed if I let the car roll while in gear, the engine will slow the car down itself, but when I get to a very low speed/revs (under 10-15kph), the engine seems to 'let go' (as if it put itself in neutral) and it only slows down by losing inertia, at this point I have to brake to come to a stop or i keep rolling lol.

eren
14-03-2012, 08:34 PM
i am so confused atm :S idk wat to say

Bludger
15-03-2012, 07:08 AM
i am so confused atm :S idk wat to say
take your vehicle to someone who won't be confused by these things to have a look.

butterfingers
26-03-2012, 02:09 PM
are you in d1 or d2? you can feel the engine braking effect much more, even in an auto.

Bludger
26-03-2012, 02:11 PM
are you in d1 or d2? you can feel the engine braking effect much more, even in an auto.
d4 or d3