PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Switch on b18c2?

John18c
11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi guys,

Where is the pressure switch on a b18c2, Where can I get one? and How much are they?

I have a stock DC2 Vtir 1996 Model and I believe my Vtec isn't working,

I have changed the oil and filter, Inspected the Vtec solenoid and check oil level which is just below the the top dot.

I just ran did an ECU test by following bennjamin diy (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?8218-DIY-CHECK-ECU-for-j00-!).
And I received code 4 and 2 on the ABS light , googled those codes up, found them on honda tech (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=978933)

dorikin
11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Code 4-2 ABS light is LF wheel sensor according to that Honda-Tech link. That's the ABS sensor in the hub.

Only OBD1 B18C2 have a VTEC Pressure Switch

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/e/N/vtec_press_sw.jpg

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/sensors/vtps.jpg

dorikin
11-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Or are you referring to the Oil Pressure Switch on the back of the block

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8530/xhtsgsrplugs39ha.jpg

John18c
11-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Tbh.... I don't know.... I'm not even sure I'm reading the code right. I know I don't have a vtec pressure switch.
The reason why I thought it was the pressure switch was I don't think my vtec is working so I searched around the forums and asked a few people who said that vtec doesn't work if you don't have enough oil pressure.
but I may have read the code wrong, could anyone confirm?

Also is it difficult to change the ABS sensors in the hubs difficult?
are they expensive?

mocchi
11-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Tbh.... I don't know.... I'm not even sure I'm reading the code right. I know I don't have a vtec pressure switch.
The reason why I thought it was the pressure switch was I don't think my vtec is working so I searched around the forums and asked a few people who said that vtec doesn't work if you don't have enough oil pressure.
but I may have read the code wrong, could anyone confirm?

Also is it difficult to change the ABS sensors in the hubs difficult?
are they expensive?

on the forums no, theyre not expensive
probably 50-100 for all 4 abs sensors

if you dont even know what pressure switch youre talking about then to change abs sensor
would be very difficult.

tell us how you 'read' this 'code'?

John18c
12-03-2012, 05:52 AM
if you dont even know what pressure switch youre talking about then to change abs sensor
would be very difficult.

tell us how you 'read' this 'code'?

Thanks for the reply but no need for your condescending attitude, I have already mentioned on how I've read these codes and I was corrected by dorikin

mocchi
12-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the reply but no need for your condescending attitude, I have already mentioned on how I've read these codes and I was corrected by dorikin

i wasnt being a dick, sorry if i sound like one.
i probably didnt read your edit.

Bludger
12-03-2012, 07:56 AM
How did you manage to extract any attitude out of his post, please specify the exact sentence.

I see him asking you a Relevant question.

John18c
12-03-2012, 09:37 AM
all good mocchi

How did you manage to extract any attitude out of his post, please specify the exact sentence.

I see him asking you a Relevant question.

1.He is asking me question which I have believe I have already answered in the op, his post was after my edit however he may of just had a tab open and didn't refresh before he replied. No biggie
2."if you dont even know what pressure switch youre talking about then to change abs sensor would be very difficult." That to me is very condescending.

Now lets be constructive and focus on the problem.

Bludger
12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
all good mocchi

1.He is asking me question which I have believe I have already answered in the op, his post was after my edit however he may of just had a tab open and didn't refresh before he replied. No biggie
2."if you dont even know what pressure switch youre talking about then to change abs sensor would be very difficult." That to me is very condescending.

Now lets be constructive and focus on the problem.still haven't answered the question.

how did you read the codes?

John18c
12-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Are you trolling?
or are you being serious?
"And I received code 4 and 2 on the ABS light "

mocchi
12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
all good mocchi

Now lets be constructive and focus on the problem.

what is the problem?

abs or this so called pressure switch?
you identified which pressure switch?

i thought main issue was vtec not engaging and you think its probably this pressure switch
but youre not sure what switch it is

dorikin
12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah explanation is not really clear OP

But this is what I can understand:

> VTEC not working

> People telling him it could be Oil Pressure Problem

> Went to investigate and check CEL codes

> ABS Codes light up 4-2 (This is a separate unrelated problem to his VTEC problem)

> So now he has TWO Problems. 1. VTEC doesn't work and 2. Faulty ABS sensor

XB-16-AX
12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Cut the crap guys and focus on the issues here...

If VTEC aint engaging the only things that could cause this are;

- Low Oil Pressure
- Faulty VTEC Solenoid / Pressure switch
- VSS - Vehicle speed sensor
- Severe knocking / Timing off.

John18c
12-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes thank you dorikin is spot on.

Thanks for that dorikin

JPR28610
12-03-2012, 08:40 PM
lol i think you should be thanking this, not something someone recapped

Cut the crap guys and focus on the issues here...

If VTEC aint engaging the only things that could cause this are;

- Low Oil Pressure
- Faulty VTEC Solenoid / Pressure switch
- VSS - Vehicle speed sensor
- Severe knocking / Timing off.

John18c
12-03-2012, 10:59 PM
lol your half right, I should thank both =P

XB-16-AX would you happen to know how to test these and which one I should start off? (the cheapest\quickest)

XB-16-AX
13-03-2012, 10:47 AM
lol your half right, I should thank both =P

XB-16-AX would you happen to know how to test these and which one I should start off? (the cheapest\quickest)

Easiest to check

1) VSS - Vehicle speed sensor - Check if your Speedo works and not jumpy (skips certain speed etc)

2) Low Oil Pressure - Check your oil levels. if you have a oil pressure gauge this is one way to test. There are other testing tools on the market but not worth buying.

3) Faulty VTEC Solenoid / Pressure switch - check your connectors on these sensors, look out for any oil leaks etc.

4) Severe knocking / Timing off. - Check timing via timing light. find out what your DTC is and adjust if required. | Knock sensing is abit difficult to do unless your on a dyno or you have a after market ecu. But you can check this via CEL code.

with regards to ABS lights - you can check your ABS sensors on the front rotors and on the ABS Unit. check for unplugged/damaged harness etc.

You may also want to check your Brake fluids - if your brake fluid is low the brake light should light up but sometimes (very rare) the ABS will also light up.

John18c
14-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks XB-16-AX,

1. I believe my VSS is working fine.
2. I don't have this tool but I'll see if I can get one and check it over the weekend.
3. I have inspected the solenoid and I have replaced the vtec gasket as it was leaking earlier.
4. I have check the CEL codes and I was only presented the codes I have mentioned earlier.

Okay I will check those ABS sensors, maybe they are just dirty and I'll look around the ABS unit check for anything strange.

On another note I was youtubing\googling vtec issues and procedures on how to test them and I saw a guy get a wire and connected it to the positive side of his battery and the other end to the single wire coming out of the solenoid to manually turn on vtec. However this was on a different model and I was wondering if you know if it is possible to do it on my Integra? I don't really want to short anything without having full knowledge on what I am doing.

XB-16-AX
15-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Okay I will check those ABS sensors, maybe they are just dirty and I'll look around the ABS unit check for anything strange.

On another note I was youtubing\googling vtec issues and procedures on how to test them and I saw a guy get a wire and connected it to the positive side of his battery and the other end to the single wire coming out of the solenoid to manually turn on vtec. However this was on a different model and I was wondering if you know if it is possible to do it on my Integra? I don't really want to short anything without having full knowledge on what I am doing.

This method is not really recommended - esp if you dont know what to do or have the appropriate tools to test with.

this test is basically bypassing the ECU sensors required to engage vtec - which means placing a direct +pos feed to the vtec solenoid will engage vtec to be always ON. - which is not good at all as you can cause engine damage esp if you just start the car on cold and drive away with vtec engaged already (no build up of oil pressure or correct engine temp).

DO NOT DO THIS TEST Unless you know Exactly what your doing and if you are only going to test for a short time.

What you need to focus on is clearing those CEL codes first (easiest fix to hardest).

But to answer your second part of the Q - will this test work on your DC2 = YES