PDA

View Full Version : CU2 Major Tyre Issue

luvmyeuro
12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I think this issue may have been raised a while ago, but I need some updated advice and help with my problem. In October last year I had a 25,000 km service and my tyres were rotated for the 1st or 2nd time (not sure). After picking the car up I immediately noticed a whurring tyre noise coming from the front. It was very noticeable at around 80 - 100 kmph. At first I thought it was due to the different tyre wear pattern between front & rear and it would eventually settle in. Instead the whurring noise became more noticeable at most speeds but worse between 80 - 100 kmph, then after a couple of months I decided to book the car in with the dealer to have it looked at. Shortly after I booked the car in the Service Manager called me back and told me that this is known common problem with the CU2 due to the fact that it has a severe negative Camber on the rear wheels which causes excessive wear on the inside of the rear tyres. He advised that the CU2 has been engineered and designed this way to enhance the cars handling qualities. He further advised there was nothing they could do about the situation and the only solution was to get new tyres and rotate them every 5,000 kms or adjust back the negative camber which would decrease the cars handling. I was then told not to bother bringing the car in! I'm a fair bit pissed by this situation. The tyres are the original Michelins the car was fitted with from new, they have plenty of tread left and still look brand new. Has anyone else had this situation happen to them? Any solutions or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

ChaosMaster
12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Well I drive a CL9, but I find that the front inner side of my tyres wear out a lot faster than the rest. I'm currently on 45k km. Inner tread has been near bald for the past 10k km. The rest of the treads look like they'll last me another 20k km. I asked Honda about this and was told it's normal due to the toe in nature of FWD (I think it was in). In the end though, if I drive spiritedly on a track, I guess I would change the tyres, but for the majority of the time, the loss of inner tread to me doesn't really affect my braking or daily driving performance. At worse, it'ld effect the maximum corning potential, but on the road, you shouldn't be driving anywhere near that anyway.

Fredoops
12-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I think this issue may have been raised a while ago, but I need some updated advice and help with my problem. In October last year I had a 25,000 km service and my tyres were rotated for the 1st or 2nd time (not sure). After picking the car up I immediately noticed a whurring tyre noise coming from the front. It was very noticeable at around 80 - 100 kmph. At first I thought it was due to the different tyre wear pattern between front & rear and it would eventually settle in. Instead the whurring noise became more noticeable at most speeds but worse between 80 - 100 kmph, then after a couple of months I decided to book the car in with the dealer to have it looked at. Shortly after I booked the car in the Service Manager called me back and told me that this is known common problem with the CU2 due to the fact that it has a severe negative Camber on the rear wheels which causes excessive wear on the inside of the rear tyres. He advised that the CU2 has been engineered and designed this way to enhance the cars handling qualities. He further advised there was nothing they could do about the situation and the only solution was to get new tyres and rotate them every 5,000 kms or adjust back the negative camber which would decrease the cars handling. I was then told not to bother bringing the car in! I'm a fair bit pissed by this situation. The tyres are the original Michelins the car was fitted with from new, they have plenty of tread left and still look brand new. Has anyone else had this situation happen to them? Any solutions or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

rotate the tires very regularly is the only solution sadly.

CU2 Euro 09
12-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I've never heard of this before and haven't had any problems. I have the Michellins as well.

That being said the tyres get rotated every service.

tony1234
12-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Take your car to a DECENT aligner.Eg.not Bob Jane etc.I know a good one in Sydney but that's of no use to you.

luvmyeuro
12-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Does anyone know a Decent Aligner in the outer S.E. subs of Melbourne?

BigBen
12-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Have you checked the tyre pressures? Are they directional tyres?
Most directional tyres are noisy and you can't flip them around.

luvmyeuro
13-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Ther're non directional and tyre pressures are ok.

ChaosMaster
13-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Pedders do a much more thorough job at alignment than Bob Jane ever will. You for it though.

dj_smiles
13-03-2012, 05:43 PM
i use the Nitto Invo tyre.. quiet as hell, sticky and wears very well.. and i drive it like it was stolen... was it?!?!?

edit: and i also get pedders to align my car. and track prep too

pitiek
13-03-2012, 06:18 PM
How much does wheel alignment at Pedders cost?
I just clocked over 5000km and I'm going to rotate the tyres soon. When do I need to get the allignment checked?

white_ep3_civic
13-03-2012, 07:00 PM
If their non directional you could try putting the left rear on the right front and the right rear on the left front. That may help.

p0c1
13-03-2012, 08:05 PM
I got the same Humm / Whooring noise coming from the front left tyre as well..

anyone got solutions?

Checked on the dealer, and they mentioned it something to do with the tyres...

I'm just a bit paranoia if it's something to do the wheel barrings... (still under warranty)

any suggestions?

natnat
13-03-2012, 08:16 PM
The Michelin Primacy HP in 235 45 18 tyres that come oem with CU2 luxury is asymmetrical. you can rotate front right to left rear and front left to right rear. or front to back. which ever tickles your fancy ;) but X rotation is probably better.

the rear suspension design on the Euro does run on some camber, but nothing extreme like -2 degrees plus.

best way to prevent any problem is to rotate them regularly and get wheel alignment check from a trusted place (Sydney has 2: Heasmans and Spinning Wheel Tyres).

i myself am still searching for Brisbane's equivalent of wheel aligner though as i will need a check soon.

senna
13-03-2012, 08:45 PM
The Michelin Primacy HP in 235 45 18 tyres that come oem with CU2 luxury is asymmetrical. you can rotate front right to left rear and front left to right rear. or front to back. which ever tickles your fancy ;) but X rotation is probably better.

the rear suspension design on the Euro does run on some camber, but nothing extreme like -2 degrees plus.

best way to prevent any problem is to rotate them regularly and get wheel alignment check from a trusted place (Sydney has 2: Heasmans and Spinning Wheel Tyres).

i myself am still searching for Brisbane's equivalent of wheel aligner though as i will need a check soon.

Just 2? I beg to differ...lol

Alignment will help with this issue, however there isn't much factory toe adjustment so if the camber is getting much past 1.5 degrees neg then you should look at getting a camber and toe adjustment kit.

Fredoops
13-03-2012, 09:07 PM
How much camer does the stock cl9 and cu2's run? It as hell looks like a lot.

senna
13-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Depending on the age of the car i've seen them range from 1.25 through to 2.5 neg

Mazda 3 and Ford Focus have the same issue.

The suspension is tuned for understeer, but its also designed not to turn into lift off or snap oversteer, this is where the rear camber comes in - static negative camber means that when the load becomes lateral the rear wheel stands up and ensures that full tyre contact is as close as possible.

Downside is camber wear - drive your car harder and enjoy more even tyre wear!

luvmyeuro
13-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Hey guys check the below link which takes you to a Thread from Blue Euro in November 2010 which covers the Rear Negative Camber Tyre issue I might be having. I'm interested in everyones thoughts ? http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?142048-CU2-Accord-Euro-steering-and-tyre-life&referrerid=32724

senna
13-03-2012, 09:34 PM
That thread shows you the need for regular wheel alignments.

You should really check the alignment as soon as the car is picked up from the dealer. We see alot of pre-delivery vehicles in the workshop and many have incorrect toe settings with alot of them toeing out severely.

luvmyeuro
16-03-2012, 05:38 AM
That thread shows you the need for regular wheel alignments.

You should really check the alignment as soon as the car is picked up from the dealer. We see alot of pre-delivery vehicles in the workshop and many have incorrect toe settings with alot of them toeing out severely.

Senna, can you recommend any good aligners in S.E. Melbourne ?

senna
16-03-2012, 07:25 AM
You could try Bridgestone Rowville - thats east melbourne i think isn't it?

I've spoken to Stewart there a couple of times and he seems like a good guy that doesn't talk crap! Can't say i've ever been there though!

luvmyeuro
17-03-2012, 05:56 AM
You could try Bridgestone Rowville - thats east melbourne i think isn't it?

I've spoken to Stewart there a couple of times and he seems like a good guy that doesn't talk crap! Can't say i've ever been there though!

Thanks Senna, Rowville is the bordering suburb to Dandenong, it is a little east but not too far from me, about 20 ks. I might give Stewart a call and see what he thinks. The noise coming from the front tyres is driving me nuts and I'm not enjoying my drive at the moment. Cheers.

senna
17-03-2012, 08:51 AM
No probs - perhaps when you change tyres you can try something with a harder compound, it may not feather the tread blocks as easily, but handling will not be as good as soft compound...

Type R Positive
19-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Every time I get wheel alignment, it's ALWAYS out. Certainly worth while getting done every 10k-15k kms.

d_evilz
27-03-2012, 03:08 PM
i got this problem, refer to picture:
im guessing not enough camber?

http://i43.tinypic.com/35k3ojq.jpg

senna
27-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I would say toe out - if there was not enough camber it should be pilling the rubber towards the inside, not out.

What does the inside of the tyre look like?

d_evilz
27-03-2012, 03:23 PM
havent checked the inside yet, will do that later

Edit, just checked, inside is perfectly fine

senna
27-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Hmm, its a bit funny that there is no wear at all on the inside...

I would still suggest that your car is running toe out, but you should get it checked and aligned straight away

mpricecs
30-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I got the same Humm / Whooring noise coming from the front left tyre as well..

anyone got solutions?

Checked on the dealer, and they mentioned it something to do with the tyres...

I'm just a bit paranoia if it's something to do the wheel barrings... (still under warranty)

any suggestions?

I had a similar noise most prominent at 60km/h. Like a drumming noise develop. Had wheel bearing replaced today and all quiet!