PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise in engine bay?

ekvtir90
12-03-2012, 09:53 AM
http://youtu.be/zOIRM9AwX1E

Just want someone that would know more on a integra to tell me what the whistling? noise is in the background, just curious as it seems like like its getting louder as days go on. I got a local mechanic to check the noise he told me it was the power steering? but I'm still a bit curious on how i can quiten this noise done.

Bludger
12-03-2012, 10:12 AM
whistling most likely would be from air traveling.........

Could be your drive belts, but that is more of a squealing sound.

pm cb paint & panel, he will have a good look over for you.

ekvtir90
12-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I couldn't give a word for it but yeah it does squeal, sorry how do I PM cb paint and panel?
Also like anyone else to reply to what this noise could be, any kind of info would be great.

trism
12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Go to mechanic for advice, don't believe him, ask on the internet instead.

True ozhonda style.

dougie_504
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a belt to me, but can't be sure from video.

When were your belts changed last? Timing belt, P/S belt, A/C belt, alternator belt?

Vvvtec
12-03-2012, 04:00 PM
+1 for belt noise

Bludger
12-03-2012, 04:01 PM

When were your belts changed last? Timing belt, P/S belt, A/C belt, alternator belt?
timing belts won't make squealing noises. They'll just snap.

ekvtir90
12-03-2012, 06:02 PM

True ozhonda style.

I am dude lol. cant trust mechanics they will make some crap up and make u replace everything.

Not sure, this car has been serviced on time stamped and everything but doesn't say much on when the belts were changed. I'm 2nd owner so not sure. Since everyone is saying its the belts I guess I'll start with the least expensive ones and work my way up until hopefully the sound dissapears. Can anyone point me to the right direction please?

Also this noise has been ongoing for a while I still haven't had any break down issues as of yet with the car. It seems the noise is more noticable when the car has warmed up and is idling.

After a quick search on youtube I found another guy recording the sound its exactly the same problem linked here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMj1PsEmtBQ
The comments people gave say its the distributor ?

dougie_504
12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
I've seen people just trickle some water + mixed in detergent onto the belt slowly when it's moving to make sure it's clean. Have also seen people just push down on an exposed part of the belt to kind of 'stretch' it so that it's nice and evenly tensioned between the gears. Both have worked on various occasions lol.

EKVTIR-T
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM

True ozhonda style.

Mate if we all did everything the mechanic instructed they'd get millions of dollars bulge each year....half the time its guesswork at our expense.

Why not ask enthusiasts for insight or second opinion before jumping in.

Pretty sure you've done some research via forums for some mechanical info no?

jdm18c
12-03-2012, 08:07 PM
get a dry lube stick and put on the belts or check the belts to see if there cracked ect....how ever i had the same noise on my b series and it was the water pump, the bearing was squeaky as

hope that helps

trism
12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Mate if we all did everything the mechanic instructed they'd get millions of dollars bulge each year....half the time its guesswork at our expense.

Why not ask enthusiasts for insight or second opinion before jumping in.

Pretty sure you've done some research via forums for some mechanical info no?

The point was why go to a mechanic first, then come and ask?

Come here first, get a rough idea, then if you dont know how to fix it, go to a mechanic.

ekvtir90
13-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Anyway can anyone guess what it could possibly be? before I pay someone to take a look at it and fix it? I can't seem to identify what it is I'm getting the same noise as in the video.

Bludger
13-03-2012, 07:51 PM
pm CB paint & panel or mocchi.

either one of those fine men will be willing to sort it out for you in return of sexual favors.

Lukey
13-03-2012, 08:00 PM
could possibly be a noisy bearing in one of the pulleys, a/c, p/s, alt, etc?

1900-hustler
14-03-2012, 10:30 AM
timing belts won't make squealing noises. They'll just snap.

they can

mine did

turns out one of the tensioners was on the way to failure

the noise was noticeably louder like a whirring noise rather than a constant whistling noise

whens the last time you change your belts?

Evok
14-03-2012, 12:02 PM
+1 belt as well.

Was your air con on? Might be a/c belt after a rainy day ?....mine went ape shit one time

jajaja
14-03-2012, 12:18 PM
definately belts. mine was squealing on cold start ups but recently did a full service and ita been good ever since.

ekvtir90
14-03-2012, 12:48 PM
The sound increases as the car warms up, not on cold start up. Sounds like its coming more from the right side of the engine when facing it. Thats why i was facing the camera more towards that side of the car.

jdm18c
14-03-2012, 12:53 PM
are you able to remove the drive belts one by one and see where the nosie is..

Bludger
14-03-2012, 01:11 PM
just give the belt a push and see which one gives too much deflection.....

how much is too much?

google.

ekvtir90
14-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I'll take a look at the belts when I can and find the source of the noise and get back to this thread, one more question pretty newbish but how many belts are there in the engine? I see a cam belt timing belt what other individual belts are there? or are they all lined together?

jdm18c
14-03-2012, 02:13 PM
4 belts... Timeing belt and the drive belts you wanna look at the drive belts
Look for crack, make sure there tight with the right amount of tension but not to tight
One is for the powersteering, other is air con and other is alternator....firstly I'd get some dry lube and check with that if not remove belt one by one and see how it is

Lukey
14-03-2012, 04:03 PM
we sometimes spray water on the drive belts to determine which one is at fault, as it usually stoppes squealing, then starts again once the water drys off

dougie_504
14-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I'll take a look at the belts when I can and find the source of the noise and get back to this thread, one more question pretty newbish but how many belts are there in the engine? I see a cam belt timing belt what other individual belts are there? or are they all lined together?

They're all on the front right side of the engine when you look at it from the front.

Do the water/lube trick.

ekvtir90
18-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Okay did the water trick and noticed that if I spray at this certain part of the belt/pulley the noise stops for a few seconds and starts up again I took a photo for you guys to identify which belts they are, as I'm a bit unsure of which ones they are. here you go, there are two belts that join up to the same pulley so it could be one or the other.

http://i39.tinypic.com/dqhv7m.jpg

Also looked at the manual from what I can see i think its the alternator belt and p/s belt? still unsure

http://i43.tinypic.com/24bj6tz.png

Bludger
18-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Okay did the water trick and noticed that if I spray at this certain part of the belt/pulley the noise stops for a few seconds and starts up again I took a photo for you guys to identify which belts they are, as I'm a bit unsure of which ones they are. here you go, there are two belts that join up to the same pulley so it could be one or the other.

take your car to a mechanic.

even if we told you which one (and we can't) you wouldn't know how to change them.

Lukey
18-03-2012, 06:23 PM
all 3 drive belts go off the crank pulley. but id do as bludger said and take it to a mechanic, could be something as simple as one of the belts is a bit to loose or a bit to tight.