PDA

View Full Version : Sound system stock head unit

sab0r
16-03-2012, 07:11 PM
I have an 07 gd3. I had a system professionally installed but I now need the boot space.

Just curiou. I had tweeters installed at same time. If I take out the after market head unit and put my stok one back in; can I keep the tweeters?

GU357
16-03-2012, 07:34 PM
hmm unless the tweeter are running seperate wires from the HeadUnit, i would guess the tweeters can stay.
good luck with changing it back to OEM.
takes a few goes to get good at.

but im no expert on stereos ahaha.

ouch
17-03-2012, 09:35 AM
depends if your crossovers are connected to the amp or headunit. (and where did you get your tweeters installed? i had to drill a hole in my door)

if your speakers are connected to your amp, you gotta rewire your lines back up to the stock wiring. This being said, you would probably have to share the power and you wont get the same power from an external source.

hows your system set up now? so i can get a better idea.

sab0r
17-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Mmm. I'm not w big audio guy so don't really know much.
I've got after market speakers all round as well as tweeters drilled into door

Ivemgot two amps and a sub. So assuming th speakers are all powered by the amp

GU357
17-03-2012, 07:50 PM
if the amp is powering the speakers i doubt it the stock HU will be compatible.

The Amp requires signal from the HU to tell it to turn on.
The Remote cable is connected at the HU and amp, it gives the commands to turn on, other wise the amp would drain the battery if its on all the time.

The Stock HU wouldn't have a Remote cable, or at least its very unlikely.

If the amp wont be able to run with the stock HU so there goes any speakers connected to the amp and any subwoofers.

fillit
17-03-2012, 11:02 PM
it's unlikely that the tweeters will be connected to the amp, well it's almost impossible, amp is to power your sub.

your speaking will be powered by the headunit.

as for the tweeters, it is also unlikely to be compatible with the stock hu, best to just leave it there to save having holes in your doors.

essentially the way it works is.... Headunit powers the tweeters/speakers and is connected via a live wire with the ignition. Amp powers the sub and is powered by a cable running straight from the battery, it receives it's signals via a wire to the back of the headunit (and as GU357 said, it gives the command to turn on), if that makes sense.

GU357
17-03-2012, 11:49 PM
i have seen amps run speakers tho.
so its not entirely far fetched.

he says he has 2 amp and 1 sub, 1 amp for sub another for speakers

TbM
18-03-2012, 07:25 AM
it's unlikely that the tweeters will be connected to the amp, well it's almost impossible, amp is to power your sub.

your speaking will be powered by the headunit.

as for the tweeters, it is also unlikely to be compatible with the stock hu, best to just leave it there to save having holes in your doors.

essentially the way it works is.... Headunit powers the tweeters/speakers and is connected via a live wire with the ignition. Amp powers the sub and is powered by a cable running straight from the battery, it receives it's signals via a wire to the back of the headunit (and as GU357 said, it gives the command to turn on), if that makes sense.
Nice try but your knowledge/logic is flawed. op has 2 amps, you dont use 2 amps to power 1 sub so we would have to assume one is for the sub and the other is running the speakers.
Why would the tweeters not be compatibal with the stock HU? It would stand to reason he has splits so all he would have to do is hook up the crossovers input to the stock HU. They wouldnt be recieving enough power to drive them to their full potential but it would work.

To the OP Are you intending on removing the sub and amps then just running stock HU and the upgraded speakers? or did you want to keep the speaker amp and run stock HU?

You say you need boot space so i dont understand why you need to change the HU back, i would recommend keeping your current one and moving the amp that powers your speakers under the drivers or passengers seat, remove sub and sub amp, that way you retain decent power and have boot space.

sab0r
18-03-2012, 08:48 AM
I was thinking of removing everything but the sub and putting everything ack to stock.
One cos I wanted extra boot space and can't put stuff on top of the amps while seats down and assumed can't keep speakers without the amps

TbM
18-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I was thinking of removing everything but the sub and putting everything ack to stock.
One cos I wanted extra boot space and can't put stuff on top of the amps while seats down and assumed can't keep speakers without the amps

If you want to remove everything but the sub and put everything back to stock then thats not possible. your head unit will not run a sub and 4 speakers and you wont gain much if any boot space, the sub is whats taking up the space.

You can keep the speakers without external amps, thats how it ran in the first place, standard Hu has an internal amp its just really low powered compared to most external amps, aftermarket HU will have a better internal amp than the standard HU so long as its a decent HU and not a deadhead.

GU357
18-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Dont forget that the amp won't go under the gd3 front seats due to the lack of space and petrol tank.
If he wants bootspace just temporarily remove the amps n sub. For now. Then plug in later.
But if the speakers require high power to run the stock headunit won't be good enough.
And it defs won't run the sub.

TbM
18-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Dont forget that the amp won't go under the gd3 front seats due to the lack of space and petrol tank.
If he wants bootspace just temporarily remove the amps n sub. For now. Then plug in later.
But if the speakers require high power to run the stock headunit won't be good enough.
And it defs won't run the sub.
Ah righto is there absolutely no clearence? havent worked on a gd3 so just have to go on previous experience with similar cars, in alot of the hatchbacks ive worked on the seat is high enough to mount an amp under it.

GU357
18-03-2012, 04:41 PM
the clearence is very little as it rises up almost all the way under, maybe a very thin sub would fit, but the sliding mechanism or anything under the seat would probs hit it.

plus im not sure if its safe to drill there because the rise is to give space for the petrol tank

ouch
18-03-2012, 07:37 PM
there are boxes made for gd3 back seats. ive seen someone here sell one. but a 10'' though.
if you want space, just bolt the amp to the sub (given you dont have too much doofdoof) and when you want space, just unplug all the wiring.

GU357
19-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Yeh that's what I've done. But otherwise u could always just unscrew the amp from the backseat anyway.
Either way near OP to tell us what his plans are

androo
19-03-2012, 01:42 PM
If the amp is small put it under the boot floor. That is where my 2 amps are in my civic

ss-rotel
22-03-2012, 12:49 PM
ok, back to the main issue... the speakers, (tweets and woofers), will run to some sort of cross over network, and a wire till lead back to the amp for power.
it will depend on how the installer wired up the speakers, weather you can just plug in your old headdeck if it will work.

when i wired mine up, i left the stock wires in place, and ran a new 12g wire to the mids(woofers), and ran a wire for the tweets both back to the boot so i can bi-amp the system. To fix the confussion, and i know it's not the case here, you CAN run a tweeter directly off an amp, but wth a full active crossover, as long as the tweet isn't pushed out side it's limits, then you can run it off an amp.

anyway... if you speakers were running off the amp, then CHANCES are, they cut the wire between the speaker in the door, and the wire @ the back of the headdeck, so pluging it in wont work... they'll have done this cos its it's REALLY hard to run fresh cable into the doors.

You'll need to find were the crossover is, and trace back the wire.

Another thing that you need to think about, the an aftermarket Headdeck has a different anteana plug then the back of the stock one, and if they have cut it, you'll have a very hard time trying to get that to work. I cut mine, but i'm never going to use a stock deck

BTW the new Slim line Alpine R-type 10 (swr-t10) will run in a box with a volume of .3 cubic feet, (REALLY REALLY SMALL), which would easily fit in then spot were you have that little cavity in the back drivers side with some lateral thinking. AND it sounds better than a pair of 12inch woofers, (we just installed one in the boss's car, replacing a pair of Boston Acustic Pro 12's), and with enough power, these things sound AWEsome. tight, loud, not boomy, (something that's a problem with slim line subs in super small boxes).

In perspective, i'm running Imagedynamic gear and focal gear, Boss's other car's running all focal gear, we reset the processor to flat, and set the xovers quickly, were all smiles after we cranked it up. Street price on these things are like sub $600.

sab0r
23-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Appreciate the replies
Will leave the system as is
Sounds like a lot of extra headache

GU357
24-03-2012, 12:47 AM
sure is! have u tried taking the head unit out, JESUS!!! when i did my DIY most painful experience getting it back together so affraid to break something but getting frustrated and sh!t!!