PDA

View Full Version : Ingen Cai

baboo
28-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Who's got it, where to get it?

Pum[Z]
28-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Got it...

Got mine when my friend wanted to get Injen CAI for his S2000 so thought we would be smart and save on shipping together... But then we got slammed on custom fees... *dob*

Check out ebay.com & type search Injen Acura TSX, buy it from there.. Don't think anybody in Australia is a distributor of injen....

urbanracer.com
28-02-2005, 06:31 PM
msg TODA AU..

hes got them.. he was advertising them in the traders section..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15188

Peekay34
28-02-2005, 08:32 PM
on ebay click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7957648888&category=38634&sspagename=WD2V) maybe cheaper through an ebay seller.

Matell
28-02-2005, 09:02 PM
G'day Baboo, I passed you this arvo infront of the brewery on Milton Rd :)

I'll have my Injen within a week or two as it was sent to me last week. I got it for $195US from www.optionimports.com (http://www.optionimports.com) with free shipping to the US (It's gone up in price now). Fortunately I have a few friends and work colleagues in the US who act as intermediaries for me so I purchase it online, have it shipped to them and then they remove all the invoices repackage it with kitsch gifts and other mod parts, and send it off in two lots a week apart.

There are quite a few US online stores that will ship to AUS, the hard part will be avoiding customs duties.

coladuna
28-02-2005, 09:19 PM
how much does customs charge if they find out?

Matell
28-02-2005, 10:07 PM
From what I remember on the website it's 10% of the total worth in AUD of the item above $50AUD. http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

They won't necessarily charge you. It's up to them to determine whether it's a genuine gift and waive the charges. It's more common for this to happen on regular post items. If you get something sent via evil FedEX, UPS, or DHL they'll definately hit you up with tarriffs.

baboo
02-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey Matell,

I saw you too!! I was going "Hey, I remember that number plate"

The reason I ask for INJEN is because it seems got a good review & really gives you an extra few KWs.

I have a k&N panel filter, it still feel somehow restricted on the track.

jolt
02-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Customs Duty on car parts is actually 15% of the value of the parts including shipping. You will then be charged 10% GST on the whole lot as well, so add approximately 25% to the cost of the parts.

By the way, Customs Officers are not stupid and they will know exactly what you are importing and what it is used for and approximately what it is worth. If you get through without paying any money on parts worth more than a couple of hundred dollars, you should consider yourself VERY lucky.

Rod

baboo
02-03-2005, 12:57 PM
mmmm jolt, are you a customs officer?

Matell
02-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh I know Customs Officers aren’t stupid.

I’ve had my friend label the customs declaration label with exactly what’s inside the box. And indicated the value to be 2/3rds, up to exactly what I was invoiced minus shipping on the label. However the contents of the package is varied greatly, not to the point of looking deliberate, just enough so that the auto parts are equalled out by non-auto related, and non-masculine items. There’s no invoices within it at all, and genuinely will appear to be a gift (which it is – just that I’ve paid for it).

I’ve not once had a problem with Customs when returning to Australia, with gifts, and items well in excess of the tax-free limit. I just make sure I declare everything and am forward with the information. As a result those good guy’s just welcome me through! :thumbsup: . I know it’s different when a person is accompanying the items, so fingers crossed this works as well.

If it doesn’t it’ll be less than $100 that I’ll have to pay so it really doesn’t matter as I’ll still have saved a few hundred in the long run and done the right thing. J

jolt
02-03-2005, 05:26 PM
No I'm not a customs officer!! :)

Bringing parts in with you through the airport is much easier to avoid paying customs duty/GST than it is when you just have them freighted/mailed/shipped to you.

I've brought back chassis bracing, three point strut braces, Cusco LSDs and thousands of dollars worth gauges and electronic controllers without ever paying a cent in customs duty/GST when holidaying in Japan, but only just managed to talk my way out of paying it on the Injen CAI and Hondata heatshield intake manifold gaskets I had shipped over.

All I'm saying is never assume that you won't get caught or that writing "gift" or "returned for warranty repair" will necessarily get you through.

Best of luck!!
Rod

baboo
02-03-2005, 05:55 PM
well, with trade agreement with USA, there's no duty only GST.

jolt
02-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Really?!?! That's a good point, I hadn't thought about that at all.

Not sure if my Injen Intake arrived before or after that applied, but I'm pretty sure the customs officer mentioned that if I did have to pay them anything, it would be approximately 25% of the price.

Rod

Pum[Z]
02-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Whatever the deal.. I got my Injen CAI nearly a year ago and tax & charges from customs was a whopping $90 for each CAI... It should be cheaper now with the trade agreement...

So grand total it cost me to get my Injen CAI from USA to my engine bay: AUS$470.. Mind u that was in April Last year...

Oh yeah customs aint stoopid. They asked me to bring a receipt or a copy of the reciept. If u don't have one they will ask u to search it on the internet then give them a print out of the price, if not they will ask for ur credit card statement as to the costs of it...

EuroAccord13
02-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah it's cheaper now ...

Last time when I ordered my K&N Typhoon Kit, I paid close to 500AUD landed and delivered after all the tax and yada yada.... now I think u can get it for like 300 bucks or so.....

cmf
03-03-2005, 04:07 AM
If you guys need someone to ship it over for you, let me know. I have been helping out a guy in Slovenia as well shipping goods. Gotta try to save money somehow. Sucks all the extras you guys have to pay.

Peekay34
05-03-2005, 08:32 PM
There no guarantee that you will be hit with duty I have bought plenty of stuff in with no issues. Deliver it to your home address and you will be lees likely to be hit. That is what a customs officer told me. Always get the sender to send it with a lessor amount on the decleration forms. If you get hit you get hit ...

Matell
05-03-2005, 09:42 PM
I installed my Injen CAI today baboo. I have to tell you I love it!!!!. You really should pursue getting one of these puppies.

I've got videos that I would post if I had a server. It sounds and feels awesome.

Oh and not wanting to Hi-jack your thread do you or any readers out there know anyone interested in an RSX/Civic Si/CRV Hondata heatshield gasket for $50.00AUD? Never installed just opened the packet. Arrrrghhh attempted Hi-jack over... ;)

VirIIx
06-03-2005, 07:47 PM
I know i had a CAI in my old car, and man it sounded cool, i got back into the car the other day and man i miss the sound, but i have to admit that i've also out grown the noise it makes.

Is there any CAI that is quiet? so the car still sounds stock ? :)

Matell
06-03-2005, 07:54 PM
To me it sound's almost stock during all normal cruising/stop start situations. 100km @ 2500rpm in 6th sounds exactly the same as stock. Possibly a little louder, and slightly deeper/more bass but not enough to lose the luxury feel or sound level's. Until of course you drive your right foot into the firewall ;)

Here's a little video I put together. Hopefully I won't get stung by sharing it with other forum members. Be warned...evil, evil wheel hop!!!!! :

http://www.streamload.com/Matell/2004_EuroInjen_CAI.wmv

Oh and I'm still trying to sell that Hondata Heat Shield Gasket. Damn my being an observer around here and not posting enough to be able to post it in the Buy/Sell forum. :(

baboo
06-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the advice in the PM, I'm defintately getting one of these Ingen CAI!

Why are you selling the hondata gasket? doesn't fit the Euro?

baboo
06-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Just watched your video, Awesome sound !!

The sound of wheel hop is quite strange...did you turn off the VSA?

Matell
06-03-2005, 09:42 PM
You bet VSA was off. With VSA on it just bogs down. When I have the RSM installed I'll see what the 0-400m, and 0-100kmh times are with the VSA on and evil wheel hop VSA off. I should really get motivated and save for some grippy 18" wheels, followed by a suspension upgrade.

Unfortunately a little of the sound quality was lost converting from *.avi to *.wmv, but you get the idea.

I'm selling the hondata gasket because the shysters I ordered it from invoiced me correctly for the TSX gasket which I ordered, but shipped a K-Series gasket for the RSX/Civic Si/CR-V. And in short, no it doesn't fit the Euro :(

http://img220.exs.cx/img220/9159/hondatagasket0px.th.jpg (http://img220.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img220&image=hondatagasket0px.jpg)

The gasket for our K24 has an extension on one side that has two oblong holes at 45deg to each other that match up to the cylinder head and injector manifold. If you have a look at your's (as you don't have the cover on) you'll see what I mean when you look at the standard thin gasket between the manifold and head towards the right. I've circled the area in the photo.

http://img199.exs.cx/img199/9549/img2731intake1tq.th.jpg (http://img199.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img199&image=img2731intake1tq.jpg)

baboo
06-03-2005, 10:03 PM
oh bummer, $50 for the gasket is good price!

Matell
06-03-2005, 10:08 PM
:) That's what I figure :D

Better get back on topic ;)

cmf
07-03-2005, 12:21 PM
I know i had a CAI in my old car, and man it sounded cool, i got back into the car the other day and man i miss the sound, but i have to admit that i've also out grown the noise it makes.

Is there any CAI that is quiet? so the car still sounds stock ? :)

Mugen and Comptech would be pretty quiet.

Matell
07-03-2005, 12:31 PM
I agree with you cmf. After my 86km drive into work this morning I think the Injen CAI might have been slightly more intrusive, and maybe a little more fatiguing than a box style intake such as the Mugen (if you've got deep pockets) or Comptech Ice Box.

I'm not getting rid of my CAI though not a hope in hades!. hehe the ears will just have to get used to the extra sound! I'd love to get an SPL meter and find out how loud the cabin now is.

VirIIx
08-03-2005, 12:32 AM
haha i did look at the mugen and comptech.. but yes the deep pockets for a mugen (if only...) comptech might be a solution ($160 USD) which seems rather decent!

I know too well how a cai sounds.. quiet when it's in low revs, as soon as you hit 2,500rpm (in my old car) it would open right up.. and put any rice burner next to you with an exhaust to shame :D :D :D

Watched your clip.. damn.. love the sound.. brings back memories..