PDA

View Full Version : DC2/EG vs EM/EK9 Front sussy FORKS interchangeable?

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanting to know what do i need to do/use/swap over to get the DC2/EG front Forks fit into an EM/EK9?

what do i need to make this happen?

LCA's? subframes? endlinks? FSB from DC2/EG? or could i get away with just using the LCA's and Forks from the DC/EG?

from the pic below, it appears that EK fork look wider and narrower towards the Eyelet (bottom) compaired to the DC2/EG.

LEFT = DC2/EG | RIGHT = EK
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/z00mxracing/TROLLING/Ek-fork.gif

has anyone done this swap/changeover?

did my search and answers were not clear.

thanks.

EG52NV
21-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Not sure what youre trying to do but keep the current forks just swap the shock..

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Not sure what youre trying to do but keep the current forks just swap the shock..

what do i need to do/use/swap over to get the DC2/EG front Forks fit into an EM/EK9?

im wanting to fit/use the DC2/EG FRONT STRUT FORKS into a EM/EK.

what do i need to make this happen?

LCA's? subframes? endlinks? FSB from DC2/EG? or could i get away with just using the LCA's and Forks from the DC/EG?

stndrd
21-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I am using EK9 coilovers in my EG and there was no modification required for the EK9 coilovers to fit the EG forks, so there should be no modification required for the other way round. Don't change lca's and FSB unless you are going to use an EG subframe, but unless you are going for a K-swap, its not worth it.

If you are using EG rear suspension, you will have to get a modified rear lower mounting bush to suit the EK LCA as the EG/DC and EK rear LCA's are different lengths and mounting bushes are different sizes.

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 03:50 PM
I am using EK9 coilovers in my EG and there was no modification required for the EK9 coilovers to fit the EG forks, so there should be no modification required for the other way round. Don't change lca's and FSB unless you are going to use an EG subframe, but unless you are going for a K-swap, its not worth it.

If you are using EG rear suspension, you will have to get a modified rear lower mounting bush to suit the EK LCA as the EG/DC and EK rear LCA's are different lengths and mounting bushes are different sizes.

Thanks champ.

What i have is an kswap using ekk1 mounts.

Due to the nature of the mounts the engine sits closer to the radiator support frame which causes the dshaft to be on an angle which scrubs the RHS ek forks on 40-60klms and causes vibrations.

Comparisons from the two forks the dc/eg appears to be wider towards the eyelet (bolt position) than the ek which narrows down early from the top curves.

So im trying to avoid swapping the subdrames etc, why i asked if the lcas and forks will fit the ek...

Not worried bout struts, hubs etc.

Any ideas?

stndrd
21-03-2012, 05:17 PM
If you have both the EG & EK lower forks, I would fit the EG forks, take it for a spin & see what happens.

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 05:57 PM
If you have both the EG & EK lower forks, I would fit the EG forks, take it for a spin & see what happens.

Tru

Prob is i dont have the dc/eg forks

But i also heard that the bolts used on the dc/eg are 12mm and ek are 14mm to bolt up to the lca...

Can sum1 confirm diz??

G-Stick
22-03-2012, 07:40 AM
do u have eg front lcas as last i tried to fit ek front forks on an eg it doesnt fit and looks slightly different

heres a link to verify the forks

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99804

Emnesty
22-03-2012, 08:15 AM
do u have eg front lcas as last i tried to fit ek front forks on an eg it doesnt fit and looks slightly different

heres a link to verify the forks

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99804

nah i dont have nay EG LCA's

from what ive read and heard from people, is that to be able to use the EG LCA and forks i have to use the EG subframe is this right?

cant i just use the complete EG LCA with forks and install this on my EK subframe?

stndrd
22-03-2012, 08:26 AM
There are differences between eg and ek subframe and suspension geometry. If you are going to change to eg front lca etc, I would order hasport ekk2 mounts, eg subframe, lca's and forks so that all these issue's are fixed and you are not having a mix-n-match suspension setup that will give abnormal geometry

G-Stick
22-03-2012, 08:34 AM
agreed

Emnesty
22-03-2012, 08:35 AM
There are differences between eg and ek subframe and suspension geometry. If you are going to change to eg front lca etc, I would order hasport ekk2 mounts, eg subframe, lca's and forks so that all these issue's are fixed and you are not having a mix-n-match suspension setup that will give abnormal geometry

yeh i know ...but i cant afford to buy another set of mounts. :: and the eg subframe etc. easy $1k+. :(

the EK is used as a daily so i dont really care about geometry of the sussy.

might have to look further into this once i have a set of front EG LCA and forks and match the two against the EK and see if it will fit ...

i dont have to change the shocks as this will fit into the forks easy ....the only other thing im worried about is the FSB mounting is different from the EK to the EG LCA.

hmmmmmm

G-Stick
22-03-2012, 08:43 AM
subframes aint 1k+ surely there are heaps of guys in nsw wrecking dc2rs or egs willing to settle for alot less, i know i did.
no use going half arsed if your doing a kswap. might as well make it right the first time around or it will cost you more in the long run.

Emnesty
22-03-2012, 08:51 AM
subframes aint 1k+ surely there are heaps of guys in nsw wrecking dc2rs or egs willing to settle for alot less, i know i did.
no use going half arsed if your doing a kswap. might as well make it right the first time around or it will cost you more in the long run.

$1k incl. ekk2 mounts ... w/subframe, lcas etc.

i already got the kswap ekk1 in ..just having dshaft vibration issues which needs to be sorted which is hitting the EK fork (RHS) ...the EG forks appears to be wider and will solve my problem.

the thing is trying to fit the EG LCA's without needing to change to the EG subframe.

breaking dshaft will cost more in the long run ...so its a 50/50 situation im in. :(

G-Stick
22-03-2012, 08:57 AM
ahh yeaa i see,

imo get the subframe sorted. driveshaft problems are the worst to deal with. its just going to make u hate your car more and more