PDA

View Full Version : Front speakers cut out after volume is turned up!

GucciSir
21-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Hey guys,
Basically for the past two weeks my two front speakers have been cutting out in my DC2 GSI '93 once turned up a certain volume on the head unit. I have no idea what this could be as i have little to no expertise in wiring. I've pulled out the head unit and checked the wiring as well as both side trimmings on the doors and have found no exposed cables. basically four speakers are connected to the deck with two subs connected two an amp. Any ideas on how to fix this issue would be great!

Thanks!

trism
21-03-2012, 05:12 PM
aftermarket headunit i presume?

its probably the protection circuit in the headunit shutting down so you dont damage either the speakers or the headunit.

best off running the front speakers off an amplifier

GucciSir
21-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Yes it is an aftermarket head unit, a sony MEX-R1. I was eventually planning to get an amp for it but not just yet. Is there another way to fix it ? can you reset that protection feature? Because this setup was working fine for months untill now.

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes it is an aftermarket head unit, a sony MEX-R1. I was eventually planning to get an amp for it but not just yet. Is there another way to fix it ? can you reset that protection feature? Because this setup was working fine for months untill now.

Are your front speakers OEM??

Try adjusting the bass down to 0 then turn up the volume to your desired level of hearing/noise then turn up the bass levels from there a tad bit at a time.

Make sure your trebles are at max and Mid range (if applicable) to 50%.

Otherwise if its still cutting out, then you will need to think back on who installed it, how was the speaker wires installed?? Possibly got the polarities the other way round.

And if that turns out ok, just upgrade your front speakers as the amount of power that the HU is putting out cant be handled by the oem speakers.

See how u go...

trism
21-03-2012, 07:01 PM
None of that will work.

Polarities won't make a difference.

Speakers don't have a cut out switch, they will keep working until they blow up.

Its all in the head unit, no you cant reset the protection circuit, you've probably fcuked the head unit turning it up too much.

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 07:03 PM
None of that will work.

Polarities won't make a difference.

Speakers don't have a cut out switch, they will keep working until they blow up.

Its all in the head unit, no you cant reset the protection circuit, you've probably fcuked the head unit turning it up too much.

Lol

Too much happy laps with the sounds turned up loud yuleh!!

Drifter995
21-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I'd be checking the wiring run.. make sure no wires are exposed along the lines.. cause if there was an exposed wire somewhere, and it wasn't touching anything, once you turn up the stereo, the vibrations may cause it to tap some metal and short, causing it to turn off.
Else, if it's actually stopped playing all together and doesn't come back on, You have possibly shorted your headunits internal amp... If the second is the case, I'd invest in a speaker amp... and probably new speakers if they are stock. Alternatively, if there is still no sound, you could have blown your speakers.. that's another case.

So I'll ask a question for clarification:
Does it still work at low volumes?
Did they stop working all together after they stopped working?

If the second option is yes, you've probably blown your speakers.. Most likely due to trying to push them too hard from the headunits internal amp... I would invest in some new speakers, an amp and a professional tune, so you don't blow any more speakers >.>

but yeah, speaker blow sounds most likely...

GucciSir
21-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks alot for the ideas! The speakers arnt OEM im running 4 6x9 sony xplods on the head unit and 2 12 inch subs off an amp. Ive checked the wiring as best i could and found no exposed wiring so i think i ruled that out. Yes all four speakers work at/or below volume 14. any louder than that and within minutes the front two speakers will cut out. Once those two speakers cut out at any random time they can cut back in and at any random time they can cut back out again. So i don't think they have blown. Im guessing this means the head unit is the cause, as you mentioned the headunits internal amp?

Drifter995
21-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Headunits have small internal amplifiers.. So it may be too much of a load on it.. perhaps invest in a small 2 or 4 channel amp? Might fix the issues. Cause by the sounds of it then, you're trying to get too much out of the headunit.. they aren't overly powerful >.>

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Who did the install on the HU? And the 6x9 speaker wiring??

Ive experienced in the past that when finalizing the speaker wire joints with electrical tape, if u have them each wires too close to each other and not enough insulation with cause cutting put issues at high volume.

How watts are the 6x9??

trism
22-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Ive experienced in the past that when finalizing the speaker wire joints with electrical tape, if u have them each wires too close to each other and not enough insulation with cause cutting put issues at high volume.

Nope. Won't happen. If all you're doing is electrical taping the speaker wire to the terminal, its an issue with not securing it properly. This is why you solder and heat shrink, or use terminals.

How watts are the 6x9??

This won't make a difference to them cutting out.

The power rating of speakers doesn't effect how loud they are. It simply is a rating of how much power they can take.

To further this, never go off "max" ratings. They don't mean shit.

Always go off the RMS, or continuous rating.

Emnesty
22-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Nope. Won't happen. If all you're doing is electrical taping the speaker wire to the terminal, its an issue with not securing it properly. This is why you solder and heat shrink, or use terminals.

The power rating of speakers doesn't effect how loud they are. It simply is a rating of how much power they can take.

^^^This is good shit info

Drifter995
22-03-2012, 02:17 PM

So what do we rekon? Protection circuit of some sort, trying to protect the internal amp from clipping, and to avoid damaging the amp and speakers makes sense (assuming that's what they do)

trism
22-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Yes. That is correct.

Drifter995
22-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Makes sense