PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

ChaosMaster
21-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, time has come for me to renew my insurance again and I was wondering who you guys would recommend. Currently with AAMI but the b*tches want to charge me an extra 30% because of their losses during the flood. Like I'm going to follow. Currently looking at thebuzz insurance, their the cheapest but their services are through the internet only, which I don't really mind. My question though, lies with mods. Buzz clearly states that they won't insure anything with mods on it. Since I'm looking at getting a CAI, Full Exhuast and ECU tune, I'm afraid they won't pay up when something does happen.

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Dude

Try shannons or justcars

They will insure unlimited modifications to your car.

Agreed value too..

Fukc aami, nrma, others

Fredoops
21-03-2012, 10:07 PM
^^^
You 25+? Cause Shannon's pretty strict on who goes to buy their insurance... But from what I've heard most of those with shannons has something like 5-10 cars with them.... And thy insure projects iirc.

Key thing? CHOICE of REPAIRER. Suncorp/GIO/Shannon's have choice of repairer. Not sure about others.

PS: JustCars is just AAMI in drag.

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Im 31 and only have 1 turbo car insured with shannons.. And i also have their greenslip with them.

Never had any issues with insurance, they actually praise you by the more mods u got the better.. Lol

Fredoops
21-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Im 31 and only have 1 turbo car insured with shannons.. And i also have their greenslip with them.

Never had any issues with insurance, they actually praise you by the more mods u got the better.. Lol

Lol cause there's less chance of you Go Elsewhere

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Lol cause there's less chance of you Go Elsewhere

Who has less chance for what ?? me or the OP? Lol

Fredoops
21-03-2012, 10:28 PM
You. Try to get insurance on an modified car is a bit**

Emnesty
21-03-2012, 10:35 PM
You. Try to get insurance on an modified car is a bit**

Lol

Yeh ive tried getting quotes elsewere and they wont insure my beast due to the amount of mods.

As i said earlier, shannons and justcars are the only hope for insurance choice for unlimited mods to ur vehicle.

ChaosMaster
22-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Lolz, well I'm 22 which is a killer. I did try Shannon but it's a no go, unless I join a car club or something. Didn't think Just Car, cos I thought they would be under SunCorp just like AAMI.

Edit: Damn, Just Car is similarly priced to AAMI, still about 500 more than the buzz.

Fredoops
22-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Lolz, well I'm 22 which is a killer. I did try Shannon but it's a no go, unless I join a car club or something. Didn't think Just Car, cos I thought they would be under SunCorp just like AAMI.

Edit: Damn, Just Car is similarly priced to AAMI, still about 500 more than the buzz.

Shannon's is also under Suncorp, but doesn't mean they are the same.

You know what, ozhonda should start a car club so we could all get cheap insurance lol.

Emnesty
22-03-2012, 10:57 AM
I had or still have a car club with registered abn.

Mayb i should do a car club again.. Lol

U knw wat they just turned u down coz ur probably not within their required age bracket.. Fukcers

ergot
22-03-2012, 11:00 AM
+1 for justcars im 23 and paying 900 annually pretty happy with it

Emnesty
22-03-2012, 11:02 AM

wow thats fckin cheap ...with mods?

how much is your excess though? did you increase excess to lower yearly premiums?

ChaosMaster
22-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Shannon's is also under Suncorp, but doesn't mean they are the same.

You know what, ozhonda should start a car club so we could all get cheap insurance lol.
^THIS! I'll be first one to join.

I had or still have a car club with registered abn.

Mayb i should do a car club again.. Lol

U knw wat they just turned u down coz ur probably not within their required age bracket.. Fukcers
DO IT!!! But nah, they said that they only accept 25yr and over, unless your in a Car Club, then they'll accept you even if your 18.

Damn man, I got quoted 1.7k for justcar with mods, and 1.5k without. 900 with TheBuzz though, still not as bad as AAMI who reckon 1.8k without mods, especially since it was 1.2k last year.

ergot
22-03-2012, 11:40 AM
oops my apologies its 1100 and ive got air intake, RBC, bodykit, headers, exhaust, full audio, tinted windows, coilovers, strut brace, underbody brace, and some bits and pieces mods. excess is 400

sxmachine
22-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Im with shannons and im 21 car is highly modified and cost me 1100 a year and insured for 20000$ agreed value... Btw its a delsol as well and my weeknd cruiser

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Fredoops
22-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Im with shannons and im 21 car is highly modified and cost me 1100 a year and insured for 20000$ agreed value... Btw its a delsol as well and my weeknd cruiser

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Bleeding good price.....

pitiek
22-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm paying $785 a year for my CU2 lux MY12 with Suncorp, including 15% combo insurance discount, $500 excess.
no mods and the insurance is under my wife as a primary driver (lie) and me as the secondary driver..
We are both over 25 if that make any difference..
Is it cheap or just normal premium?

Fredoops
22-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm paying $785 a year for my CU2 lux MY12 with Suncorp, including 15% combo insurance discount, $500 excess.
no mods and the insurance is under my wife as a primary driver (lie) and me as the secondary driver..
We are both over 25 if that make any difference..
Is it cheap or just normal premium?

Good-ish price for QLD.
Especially when Suncorp's got 'your choice of repairer'
Every other state gets sharfted.

ChaosMaster
22-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Check out theBuzz if you don't have mods. Pretty confident that they'll be a lot cheaper.

Was talking to a rep of TheBuzz though, and he said that having a CAI is illegal because it's an open pod filter? This right?

roony
22-03-2012, 05:13 PM
just got a renewal notice from justcar. Surprise surprise they are increasing it. Will try out shannons. When I checked last the min age was 30, glad they reduced it.

Check out theBuzz if you don't have mods. Pretty confident that they'll be a lot cheaper.

Was talking to a rep of TheBuzz though, and he said that having a CAI is illegal because it's an open pod filter? This right?

well as far as I know, it is in Vic.

Fredoops
22-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Have you tried bingle insurance as well.

Just be mindful those cheap repairers will shaft you when you claim.

ChaosMaster
22-03-2012, 06:26 PM
So if I have the pod filter exposed in the engine bay, it's illegal, but if I have it hidden behind the bumper, down where the resonator used to be, is that fine? Or if I went for something like J's racing, where there's a carbon fibre cover, will that still be illegal?

roony
22-03-2012, 07:17 PM
So if I have the pod filter exposed in the engine bay, it's illegal, but if I have it hidden behind the bumper, down where the resonator used to be, is that fine? Or if I went for something like J's racing, where there's a carbon fibre cover, will that still be illegal?

even hidden behind the bumper it is illegal. But alot do it as euros are not as such a cop magnet. If it has a cover on, legal. Like the CT Icebox CAI too.

ChaosMaster
22-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Not sure if the J's racing cover still considered as a cover.

ChaosMaster
16-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Hey guys, just another question. I know that theBuzz charge an extra 800 excess ontop of hte regular 600 if I have mods on my car, do other companies charge this?

fmx990
22-06-2012, 09:37 AM
has anyone recently received a renewal letter from their insurance company? just cars has decided that the $700 or so they decided to charge me last year was too little and now they want about $1100. everywhere that i obtain quotes from seems to have jacked their prices by more than just a few quid and most want over $1000. i got a bingle quote for just under $800 which was not bad but if in the event of an accident will they be useless and not help out?

oh and the buzz insurance has now closed so couldnt obtain a quote from them..

is there a reason for all this crazy price hike business?

Fredoops
22-06-2012, 10:46 AM
^^ storms, flood, panel beaters having 2 price scheme (1 for cash job, 1 for insurance).

European set crisis

Insurance CEOs need another holiday home.

Who knows.

ChaosMaster
22-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah the Buzz has gone down. Such a shame though. They claim they will continue to honour my policy so I'm going to stick with them until the policy is over. The next cheapest I found was Youi, who you can actually negotiate with as they can bring the prices down even more if you can be bothered. How does Bingle compare, I'm not sure. Do either Bingle or Youi accepted modified cars I've no clue.

tony1234
22-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Look at Progressive Online.Quite reasonable.Don't think you get choice of repairer but i know they have some decent ones they recommend.

akjdfnn
22-06-2012, 06:40 PM
real insurance is good and cheap..only no performance mods :(

buddah51au
22-06-2012, 07:51 PM
At the moment I have everything with Suncorp - Car, Home Contents, Banking & Investment. After a recent claim I made on my home contents insurance they have completely lost me & I am in the process of looking elsewhere. I had a full Carbon Fibre Road/Race bike insured with them (for an agreed value of 3,800). It was stolen last april. They originally offered to replace it with a Hybrid Bike (part alloy, part carbon fibre) valued at appox 1/2 of the 4 month old bike I had stolen. After many phone calls I was left with no choice but to settle for a product less than what i had. If that is how they do business they have lost me.

ChaosMaster
22-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Shannons is good. Way cheaper than Just Car. If you're under 25 like me, call them instead of using the online quote. They just need to make sure that you are an enthusiast, and apparently being a member of OzHonda counts.

roony
22-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Im looking around as justcar increased their amount by a fair bit. Called Shannons, got a qoute for 1800$ :\. I think I have no choice but to go back to aami.

Fredoops
22-06-2012, 09:21 PM
At the moment I have everything with Suncorp - Car, Home Contents, Banking & Investment. After a recent claim I made on my home contents insurance they have completely lost me & I am in the process of looking elsewhere. I had a full Carbon Fibre Road/Race bike insured with them (for an agreed value of 3,800). It was stolen last april. They originally offered to replace it with a Hybrid Bike (part alloy, part carbon fibre) valued at appox 1/2 of the 4 month old bike I had stolen. After many phone calls I was left with no choice but to settle for a product less than what i had. If that is how they do business they have lost me.

Have you taken that to their dispute department?

buddah51au
23-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I took it as high as I could Fredoops which was above the dispute department. so much for agreed value

Fredoops
23-06-2012, 03:07 PM
I took it as high as I could Fredoops which was above the dispute department. so much for agreed value

the ombudsman agreed with the insurance company?

buddah51au
23-06-2012, 08:51 PM
I didn't involve the ombudsman, but my dealings with Suncorp will soon be over. there are other Insurance companies & banks. Now that I am wiser for the experience I know the right questions to ask before they get my business

Fredoops
23-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I didn't involve the ombudsman, but my dealings with Suncorp will soon be over. there are other Insurance companies & banks. Now that I am wiser for the experience I know the right questions to ask before they get my business

vote with your feet I guess.

Im stuck with suncorp for home insurance because the flood business. Cant get decent flood insurance elsewhere sadly.

blabla
23-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Ppl read ur pds don't complain about the decisions that are made by the company. Day in day out I hear customers wing about insurance premiums being to high. Ok so the way insurance works is that all premiums payed in Aust goes into a pool of funds. Now from this pool of funds they pay out the claims that are logged. The more claims that are logged it starts to drop so the company has to inc there premiums to keep paying claims out. And unfortunately everything that happens around the world affects us too.

ChaosMaster
24-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Ppl read ur pds don't complain about the decisions that are made by the company. Day in day out I hear customers wing about insurance premiums being to high. Ok so the way insurance works is that all premiums payed in Aust goes into a pool of funds. Now from this pool of funds they pay out the claims that are logged. The more claims that are logged it starts to drop so the company has to inc there premiums to keep paying claims out. And unfortunately everything that happens around the world affects us too.

There's the pool of funds, then there's their profits. The problem isn't that they aren't making enough money to cover for the looses done by the floods and hail and w/e. The problem is that the companies have an annual profit margin, which they want to keep increasing every year. E.g. If AAMI made $30 Mill in profits last year, they'll aim for $31 Mill this year. That the reason insurance prices rise every year regardless of natural disasters or not.

Now the thing is, after the Natural disasters, a big chunk of their profits have been lost. Their still making money, but their not happy with it. E.g. AAMI would still be making $15 Mill in profits for the year, but their original goal was $31 Mil. So they think; "Hey, we aimed to make $31 Mill, and we will reach our target and charge them double to make up for it. Best thing about this is, if there is no natural disasters next year, our profits would have jumped to $60 Mill, as we're not going to reduce the price after it's risen anyway." Thus the consumers are charged double so that the company can make much more money. If you look at RACV (again, as an example), they too were making $30 mill last year, and aiming for $31 this year, thus a slight increase in the insurance price. After the disasters hit, their profits for this year dropped to $15 mill, but their not going to jack up the prices to make up for it. They think; "Hey, we're still making a profit, and next year we'll be back on track again if nothing bad happens. Our customers have been loyal so lets not screw them over."

Of course both are examples, but AAMI currently charges as much, if not more, than RACV, and their quality of service is much much lower. Makes you wonder why anyone would go with them in the first place.

As for you Bla, did you even read what Bud said? He signed up for market value. Say you've got a 5 year old NSX (just as an example), it's written off, and the insurance gives you a brand new base model Jazz instead. Would you be happy? Just because the insurance company judges your NSX to be worth the same as a Jazz, doesn't mean it is. A 5 year old NSX would be work in excess of $60k, where as a Jazz wouldn't even make $20k. Examples a bit exaggerated, but you still get the picture.

Fredoops
24-06-2012, 11:30 PM
There's the pool of funds, then there's their profits. The problem isn't that they aren't making enough money to cover for the looses done by the floods and hail and w/e. The problem is that the companies have an annual profit margin, which they want to keep increasing every year. E.g. If AAMI made $30 Mill in profits last year, they'll aim for $31 Mill this year. That the reason insurance prices rise every year regardless of natural disasters or not.

Now the thing is, after the Natural disasters, a big chunk of their profits have been lost. Their still making money, but their not happy with it. E.g. AAMI would still be making $15 Mill in profits for the year, but their original goal was $31 Mil. So they think; "Hey, we aimed to make $31 Mill, and we will reach our target and charge them double to make up for it. Best thing about this is, if there is no natural disasters next year, our profits would have jumped to $60 Mill, as we're not going to reduce the price after it's risen anyway." Thus the consumers are charged double so that the company can make much more money. If you look at RACV (again, as an example), they too were making $30 mill last year, and aiming for $31 this year, thus a slight increase in the insurance price. After the disasters hit, their profits for this year dropped to $15 mill, but their not going to jack up the prices to make up for it. They think; "Hey, we're still making a profit, and next year we'll be back on track again if nothing bad happens. Our customers have been loyal so lets not screw them over."

Of course both are examples, but AAMI currently charges as much, if not more, than RACV, and their quality of service is much much lower. Makes you wonder why anyone would go with them in the first place.

As for you Bla, did you even read what Bud said? He signed up for market value. Say you've got a 5 year old NSX (just as an example), it's written off, and the insurance gives you a brand new base model Jazz instead. Would you be happy? Just because the insurance company judges your NSX to be worth the same as a Jazz, doesn't mean it is. A 5 year old NSX would be work in excess of $60k, where as a Jazz wouldn't even make $20k. Examples a bit exaggerated, but you still get the picture.

I don't disagree with you, but I gonna play the devils advocate here

The insurer increased cost by about 25%-30% over the past 2years.

Insurer's reinsurance gone up by about 20-25%% since the qld floods. So the company's that offer flood insurance got screwed royal by the European reinsurers.

So they slap the price increase to the consumer.

Those insurers who doesn't offer flood insurance, their reinsurance didn't go up as much.
Yet they increase the price by a similar amount. Now who's taking the customer for a ride here?

Also, so you know that the gross margin for car/home insurance is only 10-15%? Coles makes more selling chips and veggies.

Now about that thing there, A more valid comparison would be a 2009 Civic sport vs. 2012 civic sport. The old one has a superior K-series engine. The new one has a cheap Thai made R-series engine. There isn't any more K-series civics. Its still a civic, its still a civic SPORT. What do you do? Buy a k20 and fit it in a 2012 civic? Unlikely.

I recken the insurance company should've negotiated a settlement... But they didn't.

ChaosMaster
25-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Just out of curiosity though. How does the rating system work? As in, for the past 5 years, I've had my car insured under my dad's name. If I change it over to mine. Will I still be on the worse rating or do I get a slightly higher rating for having no accidents in the past 5 years?

Fredoops
25-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Just out of curiosity though. How does the rating system work? As in, for the past 5 years, I've had my car insured under my dad's name. If I change it over to mine. Will I still be on the worse rating or do I get a slightly higher rating for having no accidents in the past 5 years?

Depends on the company's guidelines.

Usually what people do is have the insurance under joint name for a while. Then dad calls up to remove himself. The rating should retain whatever it was on

ChaosMaster
25-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Depends on the company's guidelines.

Usually what people do is have the insurance under joint name for a while. Then dad calls up to remove himself. The rating should retain whatever it was on

Yeah, well having my dad's name on it doesn't really help. Might as well leave it as in my own name as they charge based on youngest driver.

eurogo
25-06-2012, 03:19 PM
had my civic with shannons, didnt have to be apart of a club just interested in cars etc. Prices were pretty expensive due to me being 22 at the time. Had a car accident and the car was writeen off, they didnt want to know me after that.
Currently have my euro with aami, cheapest i've found, nrma are wanks they quoted me 400 more then aami. This year i got a quote for $1400 from aami, rang them up as it was $200 more then last year. They ended up with a computer glitch as it said i was only meant to be paying $794, they had to honour it so i payed it a week later, $794 for a 24 yr old with 2 loss of licence and one at fault, thankyou aami!

buddah51au
25-06-2012, 09:09 PM

When you Insure a product for an agreed value & it is lost within the first 12 months (in my case less than 3 months old) you should get a new replacement. That is generally how car insurance works, but I now know home contents is totally different. A classic example that was given to me is laughable - lets say you have a top brand 50" Plasma TV that is lost for whatever reason, Suncorp claims that as long as it is replaced with a 50" Plasma they have met their obligation, even it the replacement is of a lesser brand & quality. That is unfair on any customer, we expect the product to be replaced with 1 of similar value & quality. I say similar value & quality due to what I had being very rare & hard to get.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/IMG_0433.jpg

Fredoops
25-06-2012, 10:44 PM
When you Insure a product for an agreed value & it is lost within the first 12 months (in my case less than 3 months old) you should get a new replacement. That is generally how car insurance works, but I now know home contents is totally different. A classic example that was given to me is laughable - lets say you have a top brand 50" Plasma TV that is lost for whatever reason, Suncorp claims that as long as it is replaced with a 50" Plasma they have met their obligation, even it the replacement is of a lesser brand & quality. That is unfair on any customer, we expect the product to be replaced with 1 of similar value & quality. I say similar value & quality due to what I had being very rare & hard to get.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/IMG_0433.jpg

Sad part is that Suncorp dont have people who know anything about bikes, im pretty sure they have a bike shop working for them, someone in the industry to quote on bikes (like with any other crap), so some knucklehead in a bike shop somewhere obviously dont care enough.

hence why I always get my own comparison quote on the item outlining the specs so if they complain about "item replacement based on features" i got something to go on.

I dont trust some big appliance/computer/bike shop to actually know what they are doing

PS: thats a Fondriest isnt it? mum had one of these she complained it was to light and swapped it for a Giant.... Told her to get the new R20 for like $2 grand shipped from the states... woman said no.

Mind if I ask what Suncorp offered as a replacement? that looks like a R10? so logically you should get the R20 I told my mum to get?

buddah51au
26-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Yes, it was a Fondy R10, Suncorp originally offered a Flight CR1 as a replacement, Flight Bicycles are built by a company that also owns Supercheap. I got an independent comparison done by a bike expert & forwarded it to Suncorp which is how I found out the Flight was a hybrid alloy / carbon construction & was not even close in comparison with a Fondy. Yes, Suncorp deal with only 1 bike shop in QLD & it was them that recomended the Flight CR1 as a replacement. As of last Friday the claim was settled as I was able to get a Fondy replacement at cost price from where I originally got the R10.

Yes, Fondriest are very light, but ultra strong & stiff, they are 1 of the few bikes that are full carbon fibre & dont use alloy tips like most road bikes.

Fredoops
26-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Flight?!? The F$&@?
No wonder

roony
02-07-2012, 01:45 PM
ok AAMI ftw i guess. Quoted 998$ for an agreed value of 16K including mods. A good 300$ cheaper than justcar (currently with them) and 850$ cheaper than shannons.