PDA

View Full Version : Ek speedo is 20 km/h off

Cvik_ryda
22-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Everyone
My 96 Ek speedo is off, 20km/h faster than the actual speed.
It got a K swap, JDM 5 lugs and Ek 9 R cluster.

Where should I start to look to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

trism
22-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Its because you've got a different cluster, and that's designed for a different gear ratio.

You'll either have to put up with it, knowing its out, or do some searching and find out who corrects them

xclusive_eg8
22-03-2012, 03:38 PM
always thought this is why people swap in s2k clusters? could you not swap in OEM D or B series speed sensor to gearbox?

ECU-MAN
23-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Jaycar Sell a Kit that will allow for speedo corrections.

I have one to sell if you need it, You have to wire it to the VSS signal from the VSS and then out from the kit to the Cluster/ECU

Emnesty
23-03-2012, 11:31 AM
what you will need to do is identify the below;

1) What gbox are you using? 5/6 spd?
2) What year model is the gbox?
3) Where is the VSS located top or on the side front of the gbox?
4) Wheels and tyre size.

Reason to this is because the Kseries have upgraded the way the speed signal is being read/converted from the gbox signal sent to the ECU then to the Cluster.

Taken into factors as well are:

DC5/EP3/CL7/9 - wheels and size, cluster type etc.

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the 2005 and up K-series transmission uses a different output signal that is not compatible with the 2002 to 2004 ecu, or the original gauge cluster on many K-swapped vehicles. This means that in swap situations a converter must be used to properly display speed on the cluster. There are similar products available from other companies that are not adjustable, inaccurate or difficult to install and calibrate.
The K-Tuned Adjustable Speed Converter is perfect for anyone using a 2005 and up K-series transmission in a swapped car. The unit comes preprogrammed with calibrated settings for a 205 50/R15 tire with a 23” diameter. The overall 23” tire diameter is very common on swap vehicles. We didn’t stop there though… Our converter is also fully adjustable allowing it to be used as Adjustable Speed Calibrator for anyone who wants to dial in the cluster 100% to display the accurate speed of the vehicle.
The K-Tuned VSS converter was designed to be wired into the engine harness on the interior of the car near the ecu. Installation is very simple with only 4 wires to connect. Power, ground, speed signal input and speed signal output. The converter comes complete with install instructions plug in harness and jumper plug. This allows the unit to be easily disconnected if needed, because there is a separate wire harness that plugs into the box and the jumper plug reconnects the input and output signals back to stock.
K-Tuned also has two more speed converters available. One unit is specific to guys doing S2000 cluster swaps in cars using 02-04 transmissions. The other unit will be a general Speed Calibrator that can be used in cars with complete 02-04 transmission setups that are currently out of calibration.

Taken from:
http://www.k-tuned.com/blog/products/speedo-healer-and-converter/

So depending on the 3 questions i asked earlier, will depend if you require the Speedo Healer kit or similar etc.

ive got the same issue in my kswap, but ive been testing the speed difference in different speed zones and mine is only off by 10klms.

im on 17inch with 205/40/17 tyre combo.

using OEM EK manual cluster.

so if the road speed limit is 100klms, my cluster MUST show 110klms to be inline with the road speed limit.,

how do i know this, there are several methods,

1) GForce meter/reader detects Gforce/vehicle speed.
2) Most Aftermarket speed/rev/limiter units shows real time speedo (if accurately wired into the ECU directly and not from the Cluster).
3) GPS Units with high signal (but this is not really 100% accurate but will give you an idea).

EDIT: S2K clusters conversions have speedo healers - hence why people also use this path to fix inaccurate speedo issues. / and for the looks too :P

just be safe, and drive to just a tad under the speed limit until you sort out your issues.

CRXDEL501
23-03-2012, 03:52 PM
+1 for jaycar kit
Or you can find a place that recalibrates speedos

Mine is out by 10km and I got f20b in my eg too

Cvik_ryda
25-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks guy ill look into all the options