PDA

View Full Version : Repairable or write off? Any clue?

simonchau
24-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi guys, I just got into an accident earlier this morning, which wasn't at my fault and wondering what's your guys think in regards to it

ChaosMaster
24-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Depending on the age of your car (if it's rated at 15k or less), most likely write off. Having said that, if that's all the damage done to it, you could purchase it back off your insurer at a percentage of the price and fix it up yourself (usually around 70% I think it was). Although seeing it's a lux model, most likely will be repaired though.

EK4VTEK
24-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Write off, start looking for a new car.

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Yep, its gone

start looking.

PS: if you are parting wreck... Dibs on the K24...

ChaosMaster
24-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Lolz, DIBS on the RIMS. You might actually make money if you decide to part out.

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Lolz, DIBS on the RIMS. You might actually make money if you decide to part out.

lol....

ps you comin to the meetup next saturday?

simonchau
24-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Omgs, had this for less than a year. Sighs.. Hoping I get back at least 20k :(

antony
24-03-2012, 06:09 PM
It will more than likely be a REPAIRABLE WRITE OFF.

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 06:11 PM
It will more than likely be a REPAIRABLE WRITE OFF.
no such thing in NSW anymore

Total loss is total loss

simonchau
24-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Omgs, would you guys know how market value is calculated?

Emnesty
24-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Market value will be based on

Figures / statics from Redbook,

Regular sales, repairs, insurance values, klms, age and history of driver and no claim bonus etc.

This is common for a payout figure to be calculated due to theft, loss, write off accidents.

MingZai
24-03-2012, 06:33 PM
bad luck simon btw btw are ou parting out?? I really want the rear bumper :(

simonchau
24-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm not too sure yet, sorry mingzai, I'll let you know If I can

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Market value will be based on

Figures / statics from Redbook,

Regular sales, repairs, insurance values, klms, age and history of driver and no claim bonus etc.

This is common for a payout figure to be calculated due to theft, loss, write off accidents.

Redbook and glasses guide.

simonchau
24-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Oohs, thanks guys, will need to wait for Monday/ Tuesday for inspection to see whats going to happen :s

mrgu
24-03-2012, 07:47 PM
U can still sell the modulo sides and rear lip kit haha

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 08:16 PM
U can still sell the modulo sides and rear lip kit haha

Dibbs that too :-S

ChaosMaster
24-03-2012, 09:05 PM
lol....

ps you comin to the meetup next saturday?

I want to, but working 11-4. Pretty sure you guys will be gone by the time I get there (work in Dandenong Myers so yeah, over 1hrs drive to get there).

@SimonChau
Yeah, call your insurance company and see how much their willing to sell you the car for. I reckon if you part out, you'll make a profit on it. 70% of 20k would be 14k, so you'll get a 6k payout. Parting out, Engine, bodykit, electric leather seats, RIMS!!! Should cover the majority of it, the rest would be down to luck. Lolz, I really want the RIMS.

antony
25-03-2012, 11:10 AM
no such thing in NSW anymore

Total loss is total loss

I did not realise this Euro is in NSW,I had a VW Jetta written off in Vic by hail,but that was still a REPAIRABLE write off last year.

Simonchau,maybee you will now be able to get a newer Euro,such a pity,as was such a lovely car...

chauster
25-03-2012, 11:13 AM
If you want 20k for it they won't write it off. If its 14k then you got a chance. 10k+ damage is alot.

ChaosMaster
25-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it looks like it's around the 10-12k damage mark. That's why I said it's dependant on the year. But yeah, it's a Luxury mode, which will be worth more in terms of market value. Repair seems more likely.

simonchau
25-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Its a 06 lux with all extras, like sat nav, modulo kit, etc.

natnat
25-03-2012, 01:29 PM
i think yours should be a write off, push your insurance company if they insist a repair instead.

below was a repairable write off (before the new NSW rule came out), repair quote was $21k including all suspension / wheel / intake mods. i had it insured at agreed value of $29k. the market value for a similar car was $23k back then.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4122/4904021079_90acb14a20.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4075/4906527173_15f54cb36c.jpg

since then i always pay special attention to my agreed value amount in my comprehensive policy and would avoid market value.

simonchau
25-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Oooohs, how would I push my insurance company if they insist a repair?

ChaosMaster
25-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I would ask them how much it's costing in repairs. And prob insist on getting money for the car instead of being repaired, say stuff like you've had bad luck with repaired cars before, and you don't want to go through it again. Say you'ld prefer a new car. If not, you could say that you only trust Honda to repair (pretty sure Honda will charge more than w/e the insurance companies are using) and that you'll only accept new geniune parts. Stuff that makes it harder for them.

simonchau
25-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Ohs, thanks, I wanted genuine parts too, my insurance is budget direct, I'd they give me a low market value, could I push it higher?

marquee
25-03-2012, 02:39 PM
If they write it off you can haggle with them I got 4.5k and fixed it for 2 grand.

simonchau
25-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Oooohs, thanks! :) will need to see after inspection tomorrow

ChaosMaster
25-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Keep me updated (on the RIMS ;p) but yeah, if you need any help, I'm sure a lot of us can help you.

simonchau
25-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Okays chaosmaster, I'll let you know, thanks a lot for the help guys! :)

Irving
27-03-2012, 01:54 AM
My Wife had an accident some time back where she was not at fault. The agreed value of the car was $10k (I said I would take 9k) and the repair bill was nearly $7000 + hire car of $100 per day which came to $6500. The dumbass insurance company (NRMA) insisted on repairing the car against my strongest objections. They then decided not to pay for the hire car and had to settle on the eve of the case going to court. By this time the legal costs had mounted and it cost them some $15000 to settle up..... What a bunch of clowns.

The whole thing didn't cost me a cent as the panel shop and their hire car affiliate took care of everything.

peetah
27-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Ouch that's painful to look at. Sad to see a euro in a damaged state like that. Hope everyone pulled out of it without and injury though.

If you do decide to part it out I'd be interested in some pieces too! Need a new boot lining after the crappy smash repairers did a fail job at cleaning mine after I had a smash. Passenger seat belt also is having issues as well :(.

simonchau
27-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks peetah, yeahs everyone was safe. I'll let you know when I see what's going on with the insurance.

simonchau
27-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Do you guys know if the car gets written off, I get to keep it still or not? Like I get the payout and the car since its a total lost.

HunterZero
27-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Glad nobody was hurt. Sad to see another Euro gone though. Write off for sure.

If it's written off, you get a payout, and the insurance company takes ownership of the wreck. You may be able to negotiate to buy the wreck back, eg to part it.

If you were not at fault, then likely your insurer will still pay you out, and seek compensation from the at fault party, eg the other driver or their insurer if they have comprehensive or third party property insurance.

I would not want the car back anyway after such severe damage, especially if the frame is bent. The car will likely never track straight again, and will have fit/finish issues. Worst of all if you are in another accident, then there's chance of the repairs causing things to going wrong and safety features not working correctly a second time, eg airbags not deploying.

Hope you have good luck looking for another car.

- HZ

simonchau
27-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Ohs, thanks for the help, but apparently my friend said that if the car is a total loss, you keep it. I wasn't too sure that's why I'm asking you guys

simonchau
27-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm only wanting the car for parts otherwise, I wouldn't keep it cause I seen what happens to cars that get repairs and get smash agains.

d_evilz
27-03-2012, 02:33 PM
aw, mingzai beat me to the rear bumper :(
anyways, dibs on center compartment (below the stereo unit) =D

HunterZero
27-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Ohs, thanks for the help, but apparently my friend said that if the car is a total loss, you keep it. I wasn't too sure that's why I'm asking you guys

Check with your insurer, but it's standard for the insurer to take ownership of the wreck if they pay you out for total loss. You might have an exception or other arrangement eg, with Shannons.

- HZ

simonchau
27-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Ohs, I'll check with them,

d_evilz, I'll see how it goes and I'll let you know about it

HunterZero
27-03-2012, 02:43 PM
They're effectively buying your wrecked car from you at agreed/market price.

- HZ

peetah
27-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Glad nobody was hurt. Sad to see another Euro gone though. Write off for sure.

If it's written off, you get a payout, and the insurance company takes ownership of the wreck. You may be able to negotiate to buy the wreck back, eg to part it.

If you were not at fault, then likely your insurer will still pay you out, and seek compensation from the at fault party, eg the other driver or their insurer if they have comprehensive or third party property insurance.

I would not want the car back anyway after such severe damage, especially if the frame is bent. The car will likely never track straight again, and will have fit/finish issues. Worst of all if you are in another accident, then there's chance of the repairs causing things to going wrong and safety features not working correctly a second time, eg airbags not deploying.

Hope you have good luck looking for another car.

- HZ

I could be wrong but in NSW I believe there are no more repairable write offs so if an insurance company declares it a write off then it cannot be re-registered and would only be good for parts. If it were to declared a write off and then end up in the hands of the insurance company (ie. you don't purchase it off them) it would be sold at auctions to a wrecker. At least that's my understanding of the current system.

simonchau
27-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Ohs, if thats the case, I guess bad luck for me for the parts. :(

peetah
27-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I could be wrong but that was my understanding of the current process in NSW. Of course you could offer to buy the wreck off the insurance company. In this scenario they're basically selling you the wreck instead of taking it to the auctions and selling it there. In that case they'll take that amount out of your payout from the insurance claim. Unfortunately I haven't had any experience in this so can't really help you there :(

HunterZero
27-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I could be wrong but in NSW I believe there are no more repairable write offs so if an insurance company declares it a write off then it cannot be re-registered and would only be good for parts. If it were to declared a write off and then end up in the hands of the insurance company (ie. you don't purchase it off them) it would be sold at auctions to a wrecker. At least that's my understanding of the current system.

Correct, but you can still negotiate to buy the wreck back for parts, or apply for an authorisation to repair under exemption "Same registered operator for at least 28 days", although no guarantees of approval, especially if the car has structural damage. It's not worth the effort for this car.

Otherwise the VIN chassis/engine nums go onto the written off car register, and can't be reused to register a car.

- HZ

simonchau
27-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I just asked a friend of mine, recently her car been a total lost and her instance offered her if she wanted to keep the car, so I was just wondering if they would let me. That's why

ChaosMaster
27-03-2012, 04:51 PM
The thing is, if you want to purchase it to repair (which Simon clearly doesn't) then it's a no go. But if you want to purchase it to part out, then there's nothing wrong with it. Again, from my past experience, the insurer will want 70% of the payout for you to keep the car (in my car, it was hail damage so nothing wrong with the drive-train).

simonchau
29-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Sighs, the insurance isn't going to write off my car for me, they're willing to fix it. :( I told them I don't trust damaged parts, they went on saying they would use genuine parts. Now I need a expensive and good repairer in Sydney. Any recommendation?

dale_s15
29-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Hard to believe they are fixing that.. I swear my old CL9 got written off for less..

Did your air bags go off?

How much was the quote to fix it? Did you rear-end someone??

Petest4
29-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I feel for you.. My daughter has just pranged mine on monday.. its a 98 model..damage looks so similar.. I still don't know which way to go myself..As she is only on Ps the excess is friggin super high..8-(... Pity as only had the car since Feb..

simonchau
29-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Air bags didn't go off, I was turning right on a green light and the guy on my right was speeding down red light and smash into me

ChaosMaster
29-03-2012, 03:14 PM
If you get to chose ypur repairer, you got 2 options. one is to take it to Honda themselves and get it done right with genuine part replacement only. tell them you want new parts on everything including foglights and headlights. can maker them just to make sure. be pedantic and charge the insurer more. or you could take ot a friendlier local trustworth repaier and ask if their willing to grab some custom parts for the repair with the money their getting from the insurer.

simonchau
29-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't really know any local repairer that would get me custom parts, I'm planning to take into honda, but the guy was being a dick saying who you going to bring to? Honda? Where Honda going to fix it? That point I felt like Punching him on the face! >:(

simonchau
29-03-2012, 03:50 PM
I feel for you.. My daughter has just pranged mine on monday.. its a 98 model..damage looks so similar.. I still don't know which way to go myself..As she is only on Ps the excess is friggin super high..8-(... Pity as only had the car since Feb..

Sorry to hear about that petest4, hopefully everything sorts out for you, and insurance would be generous enough to you

ChaosMaster
29-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Go around asking. Depends on your area though, I know in my area there's a lot of tuning shops. Well I call them tuning, it's more like their panel beaters who also specialize in ordering and fitting bodykits and co. Some repairers are willing, some aren't, so just ask. Who knows, considering the price of a genuine front bumper here, you could prob purchase a Euro R lip from overseas. It's a thought, although you've already got the Modulo kit on so your prob not too concern about it. Damn, and I wanted those rims, lolz.

Petest4
29-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Sorry to hear about that petest4, hopefully everything sorts out for you, and insurance would be generous enough to you

Thanks for the kind words but unfortunately we only had third party fire and theft so the car will be a loss... She hit a au falcon so at least we are covered for that.. No one was hurt.. I'm waiting on an offer from the wreckers or try selling it for parts myself.. BTW airbags didn't go off on this one either..

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/PeteST4/front.jpg

Cheers Pete.

ChaosMaster
29-03-2012, 04:32 PM
@Petest4

Damn, that's some serious damage. Had it been comprehensive, def would have been written off. See how much the wreckers offer, as I don't think the parts would sell too easily.

simonchau
29-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time dealing with my insurance about it, my car is sitting in there assesment centre, could I ask them to tow back home and get call the other party to deal with it? Thanks

Fredoops
29-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time dealing with my insurance about it, my car is sitting in there assesment centre, could I ask them to tow back home and get call the other party to deal with it? Thanks

Whats wrong? and whos the insurer?

Fredoops
29-03-2012, 05:32 PM
i think yours should be a write off, push your insurance company if they insist a repair instead.

below was a repairable write off (before the new NSW rule came out), repair quote was $21k including all suspension / wheel / intake mods. i had it insured at agreed value of $29k. the market value for a similar car was $23k back then.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4075/4906527173_15f54cb36c.jpg

since then i always pay special attention to my agreed value amount in my comprehensive policy and would avoid market value.

You know my car was link that 2 years ago, insurance got it repairered for less than $4k

Now it's back in the shop, gonna cost insurance another 3k for rectification work.

so... yeah.

simonchau
29-03-2012, 05:42 PM
What you mean by retification works?

Fredoops
29-03-2012, 05:58 PM
What you mean by retification works?

repair complaint.

rework.

simonchau
29-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Ooohs, they Give you warranty on the work?

Fredoops
29-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Ooohs, they Give you warranty on the work?

Yep, AAMI gives lifetime warranty if you use their people.

had to use the warranty twice out of the 4 claims over the past 10 years.

I took the car back 2 weeks ago for reinspection, the 1st assessor wasnt very forthcoming, refused to do anything about the front bumper sagging, said he'll only cover the front guard not sitting flush with the bodywork.

after I took it in, another assessor had a look, the problem wasnt the guard, it's the bonnet sitting lower than the guard, so the front driver side sags 10mm front the passanger side.

So now they are taking the whole front end apart and refit everything.

they might also need to replace the front bumper cause the previous repair only "stuck" the bumper on, the hooks were actually broken, hence why the front end sags....

That'll teach AAMI to fix a non-driveable car in 5 days and costing only $3500..... But at least some people do their job right.

peetah
29-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Yep, AAMI gives lifetime warranty if you use their people.

had to use the warranty twice out of the 4 claims over the past 10 years.

I took the car back 2 weeks ago for reinspection, the 1st assessor wasnt very forthcoming, refused to do anything about the front bumper sagging, said he'll only cover the front guard not sitting flush with the bodywork.

after I took it in, another assessor had a look, the problem wasnt the guard, it's the bonnet sitting lower than the guard, so the front driver side sags 10mm front the passanger side.

So now they are taking the whole front end apart and refit everything.

they might also need to replace the front bumper cause the previous repair only "stuck" the bumper on, the hooks were actually broken, hence why the front end sags....

That'll teach AAMI to fix a non-driveable car in 5 days and costing only $3500..... But at least some people do their job right.

How much grief was it dealing with AAMI? I'm with them and have noticed some rust on my boot lid where the repairer resprayed it. Do I have to go back to the original repairer because in all honesty I don't want anything to do with them ever again. Would rather pay the money to someone else to fix than deal with the clowns who repaired my car last time.

PS. Sorry for thread hijack simon. For what it's worth my car was hit from the rear about a year ago, all airbags on both the passenger side went off (not the front though) and AAMI decided it was better off repaired rather than being written off. As you can probably tell from above I would NOT recommend the guys I was told to use. 6 week wait for my car to come back and 4 of that was spent sitting in the workshop waiting for the go to start work.

Was kind of chucking a sickie that day so karma got me good lol.

simonchau
29-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Oooohs, I'll probably go through the other party which is insured by aami, probably get them to inspect it

chauster
29-03-2012, 07:02 PM
i lol at this thread. heavily.

simmy
29-03-2012, 07:13 PM
i lol at this thread. heavily.

some good info here guise

chauster
29-03-2012, 07:30 PM
sikaflex everything. cbf fitting. thats exactly what i do.but then it depends whos the owner.

simonchau
29-03-2012, 07:36 PM
All good peetah, :) did aami give you choice of repairer or no?

antony
29-03-2012, 07:58 PM
You must at least have it repaired by a HONDA APPROVED repairer,or by a Honda bodyshop.

I think it was not written off because the front airbags did not go off.

chauster
29-03-2012, 07:59 PM
You must at least have it repaired by a HONDA APPROVED repairer,or by a Honda bodyshop.

Thats if for warranty proposes. If not that i dunno wtf you're saying byuddy

natnat
29-03-2012, 09:17 PM
You know my car was link that 2 years ago, insurance got it repairered for less than $4k

Now it's back in the shop, gonna cost insurance another 3k for rectification work.

so... yeah.

some of the items in the quote that i still remember:

front left headlight + ballast + D2S bulb = $2000
Buddyclub coil $1700
1 x new Enkei PF01 $750
1 x new Conti CS2 $450
plus plus plus...

total quoted repair + parts + paint = $21000

then they decided to write off and made a payout instead. they sold it in auction for around $13000.

peetah
29-03-2012, 09:36 PM
All good peetah, :) did aami give you choice of repairer or no?

I don't think I had a choice of repairer. Tow truck driver just took it to the place it ended up getting repaired and they took care of the rest. Regret them ever touching my car. The guys there were so dodgy it's not funny. I took the car back to them the next day when one of the cabin lights didn't work but worked before the accident and they just stole one out of a red euro sport that was also in for repairs. The seat belt also locks too early, the badge was crooked, they ruined my boot lining when they cleaned, broke a rubber stopper on the boot and super glued it back on (only found this out when I changed the license plate lights lol). Numerous scratches on the interior trim, dirt marks, mismatched screws. Little things that just annoy me. Went a bit off topic there but yeah less than happy with the result. Only discovered these things after a few months as tbh I was just glad to have my euro back after driving the POS loaner A class Merc they gave.

So yeah a trip to the wreckers is in order, just haven't found the time to go yet.

simonchau
30-03-2012, 03:52 AM

Yeahs, I'm planning to go to a Honda approved repairer or Honda bodyshop but don't know any in Sydney. :(

simonchau
30-03-2012, 03:54 AM
I don't think I had a choice of repairer. Tow truck driver just took it to the place it ended up getting repaired and they took care of the rest. Regret them ever touching my car. The guys there were so dodgy it's not funny. I took the car back to them the next day when one of the cabin lights didn't work but worked before the accident and they just stole one out of a red euro sport that was also in for repairs. The seat belt also locks too early, the badge was crooked, they ruined my boot lining when they cleaned, broke a rubber stopper on the boot and super glued it back on (only found this out when I changed the license plate lights lol). Numerous scratches on the interior trim, dirt marks, mismatched screws. Little things that just annoy me. Went a bit off topic there but yeah less than happy with the result. Only discovered these things after a few months as tbh I was just glad to have my euro back after driving the POS loaner A class Merc they gave.

So yeah a trip to the wreckers is in order, just haven't found the time to go yet.

Damn, that got to hurt, but I think you have the rights for choice of smash repairer

HunterZero
30-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeahs, I'm planning to go to a Honda approved repairer or Honda bodyshop but don't know any in Sydney. :(

Scott's at Artarmon is a Honda dealer repairer. Don't know if I can recommend them though. It's very hard to recommend a body shop because the quality of the repair is highly dependent on the person who repairs your car.

Often convenience is the reason for choosing a smash repairer.

Prestige Auto Salon in Rydalmere seem good. I've heard a few good things about Currans. Quite a few smash places in Alexandria. Try a few places, meet and talk to the repairers.

Note that you have more say in the repair of your car because you are not at fault. Make sure you tell them it's a not at fault repair. They may also try to use refurbished or aftermarket parts because the car is older than 3 years and out of manufacturer's warranty (insurers aren't obliged to use new parts, only parts in condition that is comparable to the age and condition of the rest of the car), so ask them upfront if new or refurbished parts will be used. You might have to pay extra out of pocket if the insurer will only pay for refurbished parts, and you want new parts.

If chassis damage is detected, you should double check with the insurer about writing it off.

You should also be provided with a courtesy car at the other party's expense.

- HZ

simonchau
30-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Well apparently It's been inspected by my insurer and they say it could be repaired, but the front bar is damaged, so Im going to try call the other party to get it checked out on, would that work?

HunterZero
30-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Well apparently It's been inspected by my insurer and they say it could be repaired, but the front bar is damaged, so Im going to try call the other party to get it checked out on, would that work?

The other party is insured? Deal with your insurer and chosen repairer, let your insurer deal with the other party, that's what you pay them for.

- HZ

ChaosMaster
30-03-2012, 01:08 PM

As HZ said. You pay for comprehensive so that you don't have to deal with the other party. Or do you mean you want a separate inspector to come check it? If that's the case, you're going to need the insurance companies approval in the end anyway. It's best have them send another inspector over.

antony
31-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Thats if for warranty proposes. If not that i dunno wtf you're saying byuddy

Not for warranty purposes,for a good repair on the car,so that it will be as good,if not better than before the accident .
I personally would insist on that,not that difficuilt to understand chauster.

Fredoops
31-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Not for warranty purposes,for a good repair on the car,so that it will be as good,if not better than before the accident .
I personally would insist on that,not that difficuilt to understand chauster.

Ive got experiences with "BMW Approved" and "LAND ROVER Approved" repairers....

They are like "honda dealers" when it comes to servicing, it's a marketing ploy.

Theres no real difference between them and any other panel beater, the only differences are:
*Manufacturer checks to make sure the workshop isnt completely shoddy
*A day course and a factory-approved/geniune workshop manual
* internet/disk access to Honda Part number's

and shebang, you're a "Factory approved" repairer......

ChaosMaster
01-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure if the Honda Repairer at Astoria Honda is an "approved" or an actual Honda repairer. They seem to work only on Hondas anyway, and are based in the dealership service and parts area. Would assume there would be one in NSW that's similar. I recommended them, because for a bump in the door, the amount they wanted to charge me (8k worth! for a bump in the rear passenger door) because they were insistent on replacing everything, and repainting the panels that weren't involved but surrounding the door. Saw their work though, it was clearly up to standard. But the main reason I recommended them was that they charged an arm and a leg, just to screw the insurance company over. I reckon they would charge 30k on OP's car if they saw it. Make them think twice about not writing it off.

antony
01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Funnily enough I insisted that Astoria Honda repair my car,and their work was exceptional.

Its coincidental that I bought my Euro from them,and service it there,and convenient as its 5 minutes away from home...

HunterZero
02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
repainting the panels that weren't involved but surrounding the door

It's not uncommon to do that when you are doing a proper job, to make sure the paint matches. If you eg have a damaged door and just repaint the door and don't do the surrounding panels, any slight mismatch in colour can be very obvious, especially in bright sunlight. The need to find suitable places on the car to 'lose' the edges of the respray usually means respraying an area much larger than the actual repair.

- HZ

ChaosMaster
02-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I know that a good repairer will blend it in. But these guys will re paint the whole next panel, and blend in the one after. Just incase, Lolz.

Fredoops
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I know that a good repairer will blend it in. But these guys will re paint the whole next panel, and blend in the one after. Just incase, Lolz.

and you wonder why your insurance is so high......

HunterZero
03-04-2012, 11:46 AM
and you wonder why your insurance is so high......

Insurance is so high because people keep doing stupid things on the road and having accidents in expensive cars.

- HZ

Fredoops
03-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Insurance is so high because people keep doing stupid things on the road and having accidents in expensive cars.

- HZ

.... then gets stupid high quotes for irrelevent works....

HunterZero
03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
.... then gets stupid high quotes for irrelevent works....

It's not irrelevant work if the new paint would be noticeable from the old paint otherwise. But obiously some repairers think as you do and cheap out. I've seen a few cars around where you can tell one door or quarter panel has been sprayed and it doesn't match the panels next to it.

Solid colours are much easier to repair than pearlescent and metallic colours with clear coat. In the old days it was much easier to do a spot repair. Now, they have to also find ways to hide the edges of the clear coat repair as well as blend the colour and match the pearl. Often it's not possible to get a perfect repair (or near enough) without repainting a large area. I have heard of repairers spraying the entire side of a car to get an imperceptible colour match and clear coat blend with the rest of the paint. Because if the repairer doesn't get it right, it's going to be out of their own pocket when they have to rectify any repairs that are unsatisfactory. They can even go to the trouble of matching orange peel and gloss.

Besides, it's the insurer footing the repair bill, and usually when the insurer deals with choice of repairer, they aren't going to employ repairers who overquote repairs.

- HZ

simonchau
03-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi guys, my car is still in progress with the stupid insurance, well apparently I picked Scott's paint and panel in artarmon, they quote the Damage to 18k, which they considered is a total loss, my insurance said it could be fix from there repairer, so is it possible of I have a choice to tell them to get it as a total loss since the repairer I wanted declared that it's a total lost and I don't want to pick one of there repairer? Cheers

ChaosMaster
03-04-2012, 05:14 PM
You pay for the quality. Some people don't notice it, some people will. Like in my case, I found a repairer who was willing to fix my door for $1900. I figured, excess cost more than that, and I don't want a premium rise (which happens anyway cos insurance companies are run by vampires after our blood money), so I had it fixed. Very nice job, I could hardly tell the difference (slightly lighter graphite colour as compared to the others, but was well blended in, and only tell under direct sunlight). I was happy. Then, one day(about 2 months later), I got a scratch in it (typical bitch parks in carpark next to you and opens door with all the force she's got). I decide to use wax on it, only to find the wax is eating away at the paint. Now the mark is very noticeable. Went to Honda this time to get it fixed (they only charged 200 this time as it was just a paint over or something). Tried waxing it a week after the repaint and no problems.

ChaosMaster
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi guys, my car is still in progress with the stupid insurance, well apparently I picked Scott's paint and panel in artarmon, they quote the Damage to 18k, which they considered is a total loss, my insurance said it could be fix from there repairer, so is it possible of I have a choice to tell them to get it as a total loss since the repairer I wanted declared that it's a total lost and I don't want to pick one of there repairer? Cheers

Yeah, you can ask them again. Or ask the repairer to tell them. Just be insistent, that is unless your car's market value is 28k or something, then they'll just ignore you.

simonchau
03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Well I asked honda, they say your car is worth 15-16k

Fredoops
03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Well I asked honda, they say your car is worth 15-16k

Well the "no repairable writeoff" rule in NSW is really having a lot of unintended consequences.... Just hope there is no hail storm soon...

HunterZero
04-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Remember, it's your car, you are not at fault, it's your say who repairs your car and how your car gets repaired, so don't be pressured into using one of their cheaper repairers if you don't want to. At any rate, the other driver's insurance should cover your repairs, your insurer shouldn't be out of pocket, they shouldn't care less if your car is repairable or written off or not unless they're too lazy to deal with the other insurance provider or chase the at fault driver if uninsured - was the other driver not insured?

Scotts are a qualified registered repairer, they can't dispute the quote for repairs from them. Was the quote from Scott's using new parts? The insurers probably won't like paying for new parts, they like repairers to use cheaper refurbished parts or parts "appropriate to the age and condition of the vehicle" if they are available since the car is older than 3 years.

- HZ

simonchau
04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
The other driver was insured by aami, the quote was sent in yesterday by Scott's paint and panel, but I have yet to recieve a call from my insurance in regards to it. Im planning to tell my insurance what you have quoted, my car, I'm not at fault, so I get to choose my repairer. Scott's Honda is using near new 2nd hand parts I think or aftermarket

HunterZero
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
The other driver was insured by aami, the quote was sent in yesterday by Scott's paint and panel, but I have yet to recieve a call from my insurance in regards to it. Im planning to tell my insurance what you have quoted, my car, I'm not at fault, so I get to choose my repairer. Scott's Honda is using near new 2nd hand parts I think or aftermarket

Scott's would tend to use new parts I would have thought, or refurbished geniune Honda parts where new parts not available. I doubt they'd use non-geniune aftermarket parts for body repairs, and you wouldn't want this. Talk to Scott's about the quote if you think it's too high, but basically if you've indicated your choice of repairer, that should be up to the insurers to sort out.

The hard place you're in is if the car is borderline write-off, it seems other repairers are quoting under the threshold that the insurance company deems the car to be a write-off, but Scott's quote might be over? Of course the insurer who is going to be out of pocket wants the cheapest repair and won't want to write it off and pay out the full amount and deal with the wreck if they can avoid it.

At the end of the day, it will be unfortunately up to AAMI as the other party's insurer to decide if they are going to pay for the repair or total loss, not your insurer, and I've heard bad things about AAMI being difficult to deal with. Your insurer should be the negotiator for you and they will deal with the other party and chase them for the $$$, remember they are supposed to be on your side since that's the service you pay your premium for.

Another option is to get some more quotes from other repairers, or check out the repairers that NRMA recommend.

If you get the car repaired, I'd think seriously about selling it or trading it in afterwards.

- HZ

simonchau
04-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Well my insurer called me saying that Scott's Honda sale it's a total loss, now they declare it a total loss and he is going to talk to his boss about the price cause mine is market value, once again, if it's too low value would I be able to push them to fix it and I'll sell it myself afterwards, cause I seen similar model to my car going for at least 19k on carsales

Cheers

mrgu
04-04-2012, 07:29 PM
19k with np if you have low ks. plus u got modulo lip kit.

simonchau
04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeahs, mine all good, only done nearly 75000kms

mrgu
04-04-2012, 09:54 PM
75000km Lux Silver 07 FL auto model market private sell value is around $2000 plus u got modulo kit