PDA

View Full Version : B18 vtec swap da9

Aleks
25-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey Guys...

just wondering where i can get a b18c vtec engine for my da9 ? and also whats the best engine to put in the da9 i was thinking B18c5 ????

im been looking all over the internet cant seem to find any places that do it

Cheers

impossi13le
25-03-2012, 09:20 PM
if you look in the for sale section there are a couple of people selling b18 packages. Most of the b18C7 go for around 5K for the whole kit.
Im not too sure about installing into a da9, pretty sure itll be a bit more work than an eg/dc/ek but anythings do-able.

Just go through the for sale section - you don't even need the search function to find a b series engine for sale in there lol

also; we don't have b18c5 in asutralia, our equaivalent is the b18c7 from the dc2r

Emnesty
25-03-2012, 09:41 PM
K20 or K24 all the way..

Fukc these Bseries . theyre old skool.. Lol

Aleks
26-03-2012, 05:14 PM
oh ok yeah im pretty new to all this stuff lol ill have to have a look at that ... i thought it would be a straight swap as they come stock b18 ? .

cheers for your help appreciate it !

Aleks
26-03-2012, 05:15 PM
haha i heard the k20 in the da9 are like nearly impossible to do ? id rather the k over the b aswell lol ...

EKVTIR-T
26-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah the height of the engine is an issue.DA have very low bonnet line and undercarriage

And if you think B series is oldskool then youre a moron.B18c is a simple swap but depends what gearbox you want.
Easy option is b16 cable box with 4.4final drive or convert to hydro setup and use the type r box which would be ideal

Aleks
26-03-2012, 05:30 PM
oh ok yeah thought so .... im not sure what box id want as i said before im pretty new to all this stuff haha
Im just tryin to find out what would be the best set up for my da ...

mooshie
26-03-2012, 06:18 PM
it is not a difficult swap just a couple of key pointers to think about-

ECU- if you keep standard B18C need to convert for VTEC and whichever OBD you go to (1, 2 or 2A) pretty easy really and www.rywire.com (http://www.rywire.com) have conversion kits as do some other companies.
Axles- are interchangeable, just need the correct midshaft
Mounts- if you go with a hydro box you will need stronger DA mounts as you lose the front gearbox mount, plus a hydro converted top gearbox mount
Gearbox- close ratio B16 is the easiest, but they are not that common these days and most will need a rebuild, you can get hydro conversions but do it properly, none of these engine bay brackets stuff! do it like this- http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2472947 ( they do a DA kit too)
Clutch- you will need to match whatever gearbox you go with- Pre '92 are different to '92 onwards
Intake- most DA style ones can be made to fit, DC ones you have to move the battery.
Power steering- the pumps are different and not interchangeable, get a front cut so all this is included.

uh, thats all i can think of right now. you need to decide which engine to get anyway. B18C5 is US spec R(unlikely to find these), B18C7 is Aus spec R 141kw, B18C2 is Aus VTiR 125kw. other options are the JDM B18C in either spec R or SiR/SiR-G, both have about 8-10kw more than the Aus spec equivalent.
Type R full package is gonna be about $5k plus labour to install if you cant do it yourself, VTiR/SiR about $3.5k. Then consider replacement parts which are easier to do while the engine is out- water pump, timing belt, seals etc, etc..

oh and if you have a spare couple of hours there is a wealth of information covering pretty much every DA question out there in this thread- http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?81824-Dedicated-DA9-Q-amp-A-thread

Aleks
26-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey mooshie ... yeah i was looking on the net and everyone was sayin go for the b18c5 but yeah now it makes sense lol my bad all new to this stuff pretty keen on learning and getting right into it ... id probly go with the JDM b18c to be honest id rather go the best of the best straight up if you know what i mean .... are these engines hard to get ???? ... im from qld brisbane so yeah .... id probly get a professional to do the swap lol ... but yeah looks like you know your stuff buddy ! ... appreciate your help mate !!