PDA

View Full Version : MRP-M1000 w/ dual SWS-1243D 12" subs

90civicGL
26-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Hey guys, so I just picked up a new system. Now I've read that Type S subs from Alpine dont like to be over powered much, So having a 1000W amp would mean 500W's per sub. Is it correct that I can turn down the gain on the amp so each sub is only getting 350-400W?

This is my first system so its going to be a learning curve for me, got it for a good price.

TbM
26-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Yes if you keep the gain low it wont output at full power.

With the sub and amp combo you have named would be able to wire the voice coils on each sub in series then hook the 2 subs up in parallel giving you a 4 ohmn load which means the amp will only be outputting 600rms @ 4 ohmn

Drifter995
26-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Yes. Amps gains is like a valve, not a lightswitch.
You can run those subs off that amp easily. just means you'll have a little headroom with power.

I had two type s 1223d's running off a 900wrms amp, and they were beautiful.
If you are worried about tuning it, take it to northfield or something and ask them to give it a quick tune for you, and teach you a little whilst they do it if possible.

I was sure there was a topic on it in mea, but I can't find it >.<

as tbm said, you can wire it down to 4ohms if you wish. that'd be pretty close to perfect for the subs.

90civicGL
26-03-2012, 03:00 PM
My dad has an oscilloscope, and my friend said we can find the point where it starts clipping, raise it up a little to prevent that and then use the oscilloscope to fine tune it. So if that will work might give that a try.

Hopefully the combo will work well together, heard its always good to have a little bit of reserved power. And the Type s's should provide nice bass without being over the top. As I care about my hearing :P

Drifter995
26-03-2012, 03:22 PM
As far as I've read (mostly people tuning them on mea) they don't work overly well (like highs being a bit flat, and bass being muddy and things)... but give it a crack, and then fine tune it from there, see how you go :D

Also, isn't the oscilloscope for tuning the headunit eq's? I don't actually know, never used one before...

90civicGL
26-03-2012, 03:41 PM
As far as I've read (mostly people tuning them on mea) they don't work overly well (like highs being a bit flat, and bass being muddy and things)... but give it a crack, and then fine tune it from there, see how you go :D

Also, isn't the oscilloscope for tuning the headunit eq's? I don't actually know, never used one before...

Not sure, havnt used one myself either. Well 2 S types should be enough for me, beats no subs at all :P

Drifter995
26-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Not sure, havnt used one myself either. Well 2 S types should be enough for me, beats no subs at all :P

:( I love my type s 12. It sounds fine to me

TbM
26-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Ive never used an oscilloscope to set gains i just go by ear/experience.

Heres some info that may help you if you choose to use one. http://stason.org/TULARC/entertainment/audio/car/5-18-How-can-I-use-an-oscilloscope-to-set-the-gains-in-my-sy.html

RAD
26-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Don't forget, how well the subs cope with the additional power also relies on the box too. A sealed box will gather heat after a while, too small of a ported box/vent will not allow the cone to move enough to properly cool the voice coils.

90civicGL
26-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Don't forget, how well the subs cope with the additional power also relies on the box too. A sealed box will gather heat after a while, too small of a ported box/vent will not allow the cone to move enough to properly cool the voice coils.

That is a good point.

I know the box is made by gold coast custom stereo, but not sure if it is designed for the subs, or if it is just a dual 12" subbox they make for a whole range of subs. And it is ported. decentish size, not very small or massive as far as I can tell, but agai I dont know to much about all this.

TbM
26-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Good info + rep for you

He wont be over powering the subs tho as they are rated for 300rms each and he would need to wire up the subs to a 4 ohmn configuration so amp will only be outputting 600rms not the 1000rms @ 2 ohmn that hes quoted.

That is a good point.

I know the box is made by gold coast custom stereo, but not sure if it is designed for the subs, or if it is just a dual 12" subbox they make for a whole range of subs. And it is ported. decentish size, not very small or massive as far as I can tell, but agai I dont know to much about all this.

Heres the recommend vented pox deminsons from apline, if you take some measurments you can see if its a close fit. Your model is highlighted in red and ive linked the owners manual.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/tbmindustrys2/types.png
taken from Alpine website (http://www.alpine.com.au/files/current_owners_manuals/SWS-1243D.pdf)

Drifter995
26-03-2012, 09:48 PM
ah, that's true, he can't wire it to 2ohms, cause his subs are both dual 4ohms... and afaik, his amp isn't 1ohm stable, so 4ohms is his only option.

90civicGL
26-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks, well this makes it easy then, 600w at 4ohms it is then, since Im running the amp at 4 ohms will that provide any benefits? like cleaner sound, or lower temperatures? And would uping the gain a tad let me run the subs at 350ish watts each? Or will it stay at 300w?

Will measure up the box tomorrow sometime

TbM
26-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks, well this makes it easy then, 600w at 4ohms it is then, since Im running the amp at 4 ohms will that provide any benefits? like cleaner sound, or lower temperatures? And would uping the gain a tad let me run the subs at 350ish watts each? Or will it stay at 300w?

Will measure up the box tomorrow sometime

Your amp has a rated output, turning the gain up too much will not make it put out more than its rated output, it will just start clipping/sounding like crap.

1996_EK_Civic
26-03-2012, 10:43 PM
did you buy the subs without boxes? cos if you did and you don't know/want to know how to wire it up, i'm pretty sure Alpine includes diagrams on how to wire the subs up to be 'x' amount of ohms

TbM
26-03-2012, 11:02 PM
did you buy the subs without boxes? cos if you did and you don't know/want to know how to wire it up, i'm pretty sure Alpine includes diagrams on how to wire the subs up to be 'x' amount of ohms

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/tbmindustrys2/gyhgkh.jpg
This what your talking about? With two 4 ohmn DVC subs and 1 amp the only options are 1, 4 or 16 ohmn, you cant wire to any ohmns you want.

90civicGL
26-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks TbM, thats how i will wire it up, luckily I have a friend who knows how to wire up this kind of stuff. And yer the subs came without the packaging. The subs are already wired up in the box and im not sure how its been done, I can send of an e-mail and try and find out. So on the outside of the box ive got x1 positive and negative for each sub. Im guessing it sbeen wired like the diagram above.

TbM
26-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks TbM, thats how i will wire it up, luckily I have a friend who knows how to wire up this kind of stuff. And yer the subs came without the packaging. The subs are already wired up in the box and im not sure how its been done, I can send of an e-mail and try and find out. So on the outside of the box ive got x1 positive and negative for each sub. Im guessing it sbeen wired like the diagram above.
No worries glad to help,

EDIT: just realised you said 1 set for each sub not just 1 set of pos and neg.
You can use a multi meter to check the ohmns, each set should be 8 ohmn then you run them in paralell to the amp and it will see 4 ohmn load

90civicGL
26-03-2012, 11:50 PM
No worries glad to help,

EDIT: just realised you said 1 set for each sub not just 1 set of pos and neg.
You can use a multi meter to check the ohmns, each set should be 8 ohmn then you run them in paralell to the amp and it will see 4 ohmn load

Ok, thanks, will suss that out.