PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump - swap or not ?

lovenoodles
26-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I need your advice on a yes / no question.

I currently have 2 identical model 2006 Accord Euros. Both are standard model.

Car A - Currently has 97k mileage. During last year (2011) it had a power steerring pump issue. It was determined that the power steering hose (which was recalled last year) may have caused the pump itself to be damaged. Because the car was still under warranty at the time, the dealership replaced the entire power steering pump under warranty. I do not know if the dealership used a new genuine Honda pump or aftermarket Honda pump. Car A has been using the new pump for around 5k mileage now.

Car B - Currently on 75k mileage. It has never had any major issues. It had its power steering hose recall done last year.

Car A is now being sold. My question is, do you think it will be worthwhile for me to swap the pump in Car A into Car B (and of course B's pump back into A) ? The swap will cost me $350.

Benefits of the swap: I can see how the "as new" pump in car A can bring more peace of mind into Car B. Also, car B was also affected by the power steering hose issue, so i have no idea if any damage has been done overtime to its pump as well.

Cons of the swap: the $350 labor fee. Also, I have no idea as to the quality of the warranty pump the Dealership used in car A. It may have been refurbished, i just dont know. Also, i guess one could argue the "as new" pump is less proven since it has only done 5k, while car B's pump has been ok for 75k.

What do you guys think ? Swap or just leave it as is ?

Your input is much appreciated.

Cheers.