PDA

View Full Version : Write off?

viett
30-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Today my 98 Prelude VTI-R was hit by a lady in a Black Holden Astra.
She didn't see my car coming up at a 3 way intersection, as I drove by she rammed in to the side of my car and then kept accelerating and pushing my car on to the nature strip.
She has contacted her insurance company and asked me to get a quote, but the damages seem pretty severe and I was just wondering if this would be a write-off?

I got the car for $6,500.
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j406/itsviettyo/IMG_1468.jpg

Althought I love my car, I really do hope it gets written off due to the fact that it has a few annoying problems, such as being an Automatic transmission.

kyzz
30-03-2012, 10:56 PM
depends how chassis is - if the panel beaters cbf fixing it and think your better off declaring a write off then they'll do that. chassis doesn't seem bent from external damages but i guess that's what you'll have to find out. if anything it might just be door panel and rear QP replacement with a reallignment.. best case scenario

other best case scenario for you is = chassis bent or mechanics are lazy and insurance company feeling generous = writeoff

chauster
30-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Maybe, maybe not. That's about 4k
There

EKVTIR-T
30-03-2012, 11:23 PM
*From memory* its around 70-75% of the value to be written off from aami for example so I vote write off.

stndrd
30-03-2012, 11:26 PM
*From memory* its around 70-75% of the value to be written off from aami for example so I vote write off.

+1. I would be waiting for a cheque in the mail

curtis265
31-03-2012, 04:14 AM
I would also be waiting for a insu payout.

poor bb6 :(

e240
31-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Don't forget, unless you've got an agreed value, you might not get what you paid for the car.

viett
31-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Oh I have no insurance although the accident was not my fault.

e240
31-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Yep, be prepared to negotiate.

I would start by gathering examples of how much an equivalent car would cost on the market.

dougie_504
31-03-2012, 10:21 PM
And anything you can do to prove your car is worth just as much/ more.

viett
31-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm not really worried about getting a lot out of my car. 5K+ would be enough considering it all these little problems I have in the engine and is due for a major service soon.

So should I start finding cars similar to mine on Carsales and find an avg price? or is there an already set avg price for 98 VTIR Preludes?

drsilliez
01-04-2012, 12:03 AM
if he doesnt have insurance, how can he get a pay out? ....he is uninsured...

im not sure, im asking...

Bludger
01-04-2012, 12:06 AM

chase up the person responsible or their insurance company if they are insured.

Bludger
01-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Althought I love my car, I really do hope it gets written off
Even if it was repairable, I wouldn't want it repaired.

would never be the same again.

curtis265
01-04-2012, 12:03 PM
what sorta problems were u having? OP? Burning a bulkload of oil and the auto starting to poop out? :(

The party at fault is resposbile for repairing all damage caused. If the person at fault didn't have insurance you'll have to sue them to get the payout which can be very costly and time consuming. But in this case, the person at fault has insurance and will make a claim to fix/replace the OP's car

shoulda got 3rd party mang

Even if it was repairable, I wouldn't want it repaired.

would never be the same again.

agreed 100%.

viett
01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
It had a lot of little problems like the transmission, a lot of little dints and key marks, tires were worn and the front bumper was scraped so badly.

drsilliez
01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I cant believe u were driving around in a car with worn tyres and no insurance........ Lucky YOU didn't hit anyone!! Well hopefully it's a write off. That would b the best outcome

Indie
01-04-2012, 10:11 PM
OP, are you saying that you don't even have 3rd party insurance? You have no insurance at all?

If that's the case, you don't deserve to be on the road.

Drifter995
02-04-2012, 02:07 AM
To correct indie, no insurance at all is illegal... He would have third party. I doubt anybody is that stupid.

Alexplicit
02-04-2012, 07:49 AM
feel your pain bro :(

going through the same thing in my jdm dc2r.... sad days are sad

JDM EP3
02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
To correct indie, no insurance at all is illegal... He would have third party. I doubt anybody is that stupid.

Actually no man it isnt. There is no such crap as CTP here in VIC.

eg5civic
02-04-2012, 09:40 AM
The person who hit you is responsible to fix the damage to your car, and I'd say it'll be a write off, rear quarters have to be pulled out, panel betters won't want to do that much work more effort than its worth

NightKids
02-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Seriously anyone without insurance shouldn't be driving. It's not fair that someone has to sue & get like $5 a week repayment.

In England it's illegal to not have insurance, dunno why Vic doesn't have that rule too...

Drifter995
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM

Really? I thought it was down here in tas...

JDM EP3
02-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Yep you can drive without any third party insurance, they should have it as a minimum i think though. Just like nightkids, I rather not get $5 a week repayments. Although Im assuming it wont be that low it will still be a hassle if your car is written off and its worth 30k. But thats why you have insurance so if some knob with none hits you then you have your insurance pay you out and let them chase them for the money.

trism
02-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Actually there is, its just included in the cost of rego, not separate like nsw.

curtis265
02-04-2012, 10:54 AM
ohh yea don't be like my mate. 25k car written off after some retard rear ended him at 60km/h

Both parties had no insu.

inb4 $10/wk for 20 years

drsilliez
02-04-2012, 11:55 AM

That's wrong. There is ctp. U pay it as part of your registration every year. It's a few hundred dollars. Check ur rego renewal papers. It doesn't cover u but the other person or something.

JDM EP3
02-04-2012, 12:02 PM
That's wrong. There is ctp. U pay it as part of your registration every year. It's a few hundred dollars. Check ur rego renewal papers. It doesn't cover u but the other person or something.

Im pretty sure thats for TAC. I could be wrong but, if you smash into someone I guarantee that wont cover their repairs and you will have to fork out for it.

trism
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Ctp in NSW and it's equivalent in other states only cover personal injury.

Optional is third party property, which covers other persons car, or if you take out a fence etc, and then you have third party fire and theft, covers all of the above and if you car gets burnt out or stolen.

Bludger
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Ctp in NSW and it's equivalent in other states only cover personal injury.

Optional is third party property, which covers other persons car, or if you take out a fence etc, and then you have third party fire and theft, covers all of the above and if you car gets burnt out or stolen.
in which the latter, it's not illegal to be without.

markismaximus
02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
CTP insurance doesn't cover you for shit as trism has said, only personal injury.

I agree with all the above posts, anyone without insurance shouldn't be driving...

kyzz
02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Reminds me - gotta pay insurance tomorrow; going full comp

Maybe op should do the same for his next car for that ease of mind

Indie
02-04-2012, 07:06 PM
To correct indie, no insurance at all is illegal... He would have third party. I doubt anybody is that stupid."Correct" me? Everything I said was correct. Of course I'm aware that it is illegal or at least strongly inadvisable to drive uninsured, it's common knowledge. With the stupidity displayed on these forums, driving uninsured is a definite possibility.

In future, don't claim you're "correcting" people; it makes you seem either stupidly arrogant, or simply a social retard.

JDM EP3
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
If it was a legal requirement to have insurance you would have the cops asking you to see your insurance papers.....

Drifter995
02-04-2012, 07:46 PM
"Correct" me? Everything I said was correct. Of course I'm aware that it is illegal or at least strongly inadvisable to drive uninsured, it's common knowledge. With the stupidity displayed on these forums, driving uninsured is a definite possibility.

In future, don't claim you're "correcting" people; it makes you seem either stupidly arrogant, or simply a social retard.

I was going to change it to 'to add to' or something else, but got rushed away from the computer -.-

curtis265
02-04-2012, 08:47 PM
dw about indie he's elitist like that

viett
02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
I asked whether this forum believes it would be a write off, not whether if i'm an idiot for not having insurance or not?
This question is mainly for panel beaters out there.

kyzz
02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
not many panel beaters on here but i'm pretty sure we've established it depends on the circumstances - it's most likely cosmetic damage

Bludger
02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
not many panel beaters on here but i'm pretty sure we've established it depends on the circumstances - it's most likely cosmetic damage
you forgot about CB paint & panel

viett
03-04-2012, 01:43 AM
so if the chassis is damaged than it's a write off?

Bludger
03-04-2012, 01:44 AM
i didn't see anyone post that information.

you're asking a very broud question.

Indie
03-04-2012, 03:56 AM
dw about indie he's elitist like thatTo correct curtis265, um... Wait, "elitist"? Huh? Elitism is the belief that people of a certain class should be treated better than others. I fail to see how that's even relevant to this discussion. Is it possible that you were searching for a certain word, but couldn't think of it, so you just chose the first derogatory term that popped into your head?

Back on topic, the OP seems to have just implied that he is indeed driving without any kind of insurance. Ridiculous. If you can't afford the basic upkeep on your car, you shouldn't be driving one. If I'm mistaken, sorry.

curtis265
03-04-2012, 04:29 AM
My mistake. "Patronising" would be a better term, would you agree?

Indie
03-04-2012, 05:08 AM
My mistake. "Patronising" would be a better term, would you agree?Yes, I agree, that would be more fitting. Anything would have been, really.

Drifter995
03-04-2012, 08:47 AM
doesn't elitist mean, to look down upon people if they don't follow a certain way, because you believe you are superior to them, and elite in the sense.. I'm talking games elitist here.. If any of that made any coherent sense... I am dozing off whilst writing this... *coughs*

mugen_ctr
04-04-2012, 12:01 AM

anything that requires the chassis to be straightened most places wont touch straight up as they dont have the facilities and tools to do so, and is freakin expensive! In most cases, insurance companies do a complete write off, as anything that damages the chassis is deemed statutory write off, deemed un-road worthy/safe from what ive been told.

THOUGH, if u wanna proceed with it, GL with it, tryna find a place that does chassis realignment, wont be cheap!

viett
04-04-2012, 12:25 AM
okay thanks mugen_ctr, well i hope there is damage to the chassis cause i really want a write off.
i'll keep you guys updated if anyone is even interested.

bennjamin
04-04-2012, 06:59 AM
guys keep the off topic name calling out of Ozhonda. Any more you get banned. Grow up ! Keep it vaguely on topic thanks.

Twisted
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM

A very valid point! He would have to sue for damages from the hitter. Been on the receiving end of this scenario myself, receiving a "letter of demand" from their lawyer.
If the hitter is clearly at fault, then this shouldn't be a problem. Is there a police report?

viett
04-04-2012, 12:14 PM
No police report, but the lady that hit me understands that it's her fault and has contacted me and asked me to get a quote from a panel beater so she can contact her insurance company.

Twisted
04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Getting some quotes wouldn't hurt, I guess, but just be warned that as you have no insurance, there would be no demand for compensation from your insurance company (if you had insurance), against her insurer, and ergo, no payment to you. The lady may have the best of intentions, but as well all know, insurers will not pay unless they have to.

I'm not trying to put a downer on things, just trying to clarify or be clear about it, cos I've been in this situation before.

Mikecivic78
05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I suggest you get some legal advice, get a lawyer to pursue the debt if need be. Milk her insurance co.

viett
13-04-2012, 08:25 AM
If anyone was still interested, yes my Prelude is being written off.

Mikecivic78
13-04-2012, 08:55 AM
If anyone was still interested, yes my Prelude is being written off.

where are you located? If you are in Brisbane any chance I could buy the wreck?

viett
13-04-2012, 09:11 AM
no sorry I'm from Victoria, Melbourne :(

chauster
13-04-2012, 07:34 PM
anything that requires the chassis to be straightened most places wont touch straight up as they dont have the facilities and tools to do so, and is freakin expensive! In most cases, insurance companies do a complete write off, as anything that damages the chassis is deemed statutory write off, deemed un-road worthy/safe from what ive been told.

THOUGH, if u wanna proceed with it, GL with it, tryna find a place that does chassis realignment, wont be cheap!

80% of panel shops have car-o-liners. Yes it's not cheap but if it's less than 70-80% of your cars value then they will fix it.

In sayin that viv in Vic now no lingers allow chasis rails to be fixed. They need to be replaced. Also in the engine bay insurance now requires no bog at all. Must be metal finish.

grifty
13-04-2012, 07:37 PM
lol replace chassis rail, no one will do that. Cut and shut time.

chauster
13-04-2012, 07:40 PM
lol replace chassis rail, no one will do that. Cut and shut time.

so if a M3 gets t-boned and repairing is 40k and the car is valued at 170k, do you think they will write it off?
you ****ing high buddy. besides i've changed over many chassis rails. Chassis rails are not one WHOLE long rail. There are about 5 different parts to it which can be cut and fitted. Know before posting.

grifty
13-04-2012, 10:39 PM
i know chassis rails lol, most common cars on the road (holden,ford, toyota,honda etc) if the chassis gets damaged is it worth replacing? probably not with all the time you need to spend dropping the motor all the sussy, replacing the rail, painting the bay etc.

A mate of mine had a replace the front chassis rail on a SLK200, fkn not worth it in the end, the rail itself was 5k.

Mikecivic78
13-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Why bother, its not a 100k beamer

the car will be a repaired write off

Its value will plummet

chauster
13-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Everyones a panel beater in here.

viett
14-04-2012, 07:29 AM
yeah, some guy crashed in to my house.
my carpenter said it was a write off so they gave me the money and now i'm homeless.