PDA

View Full Version : A Truck Hit My Car :( will it be written off?

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 07:31 AM
hey guys sad day, is sad :(

yesterday afternoon a semi trailer truck didn't see that i had merged in front of him, and as he crept closer to the traffic lights he was pushing me into the car in front.

The damaged really isn't all that bad but i'm still terrified. but it is a genuine JDM integra Type R 96 spec.

what i know will need to be replaced/repaired rear bar, rear garnish, rear drivers side quater is slightly dented/creased. front bar, front grill maybe headlight not cracked or anything possible tab damage.

from what ive found on redbook, Aus delivered type R's are only worth 10k WTF? what would that make my market value worth?
ill post pictures up later

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6325/img1791u.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4364/img1792n.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9129/img1793cr.jpg

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1330/img1794y.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9407/img1783ag.jpg

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/984/img1784ws.jpg

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7712/img1785qc.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6600/img1787q.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5686/img1788ua.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2600/img1786hl.jpg

chauster
31-03-2012, 08:01 AM
hey guys sad day, is sad :(

yesterday afternoon a semi trailer truck didn't see that i had merged in front of him, and as he crept closer to the traffic lights he was pushing me into the car in front.

The damaged really isn't all that bad but i'm still terrified. but it is a genuine JDM integra Type R 96 spec.

what i know will need to be replaced/repaired rear bar, rear garnish, rear drivers side quater is slightly dented/creased. front bar, front grill maybe headlight not cracked or anything possible tab damage.

from what ive found on redbook, Aus delivered type R's are only worth 10k WTF? what would that make my market value worth?
ill post pictures up later

Your itr is import and damage is quite bad. In saying that the trucks insurance should ask you roughly how much you believe your car to be worth and then they base it on that. Good luck

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 08:06 AM
and what should i say its worth? should i add the face that is extencively modified?

it has buddy club coilovers, buddy club camber arms, toda cam gears, JACKSON RACING SUPERCHARGER, hondata, toda flywheel, 440cc injectors, 2.5'' mandrel, toda headers, around 5k worth of audio, etc. does any of this matter? what should i say the car is worth?

senna
31-03-2012, 08:11 AM
What is your car insured for? If all that gear is listed on your insurance then your agreed value is surely something you have decided on - if your insurance is at market value then you can kiss all that added value goodbye.

Judging by the daaged you have described i don't think it will be written off, but again it depends on what the car is insured for - market or agreed.

dougie_504
31-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Write off in VIC only needs to be damage to the value of about 40% of the car.

What's your agreed value?

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 08:22 AM
my car isnt comprehensively insured :( it simply is too expencive. for a 21 y/o driver, i know i should of had it insured but unfortunately thats how it is.

senna
31-03-2012, 08:31 AM
OK, i'm gonna do a told you so/son i am disappoint thing here....

Comprehensive insurance too expensive? Yet you drive a highly modified imported car? This is madness dude.

Its gonna be a hell of a lot more expensive to buy a new car or buy this one back if they write it off...

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 08:39 AM
i kno :( the thing with modifying this car is that you can do part by part and take as long as you like to modify such things, with insurance you pay the set amount or else your insurance is null and void, ive been playing with this car for 3 years now.

at the end of the day, yes your right.

dc2r-0636
31-03-2012, 08:39 AM
OK, i'm gonna do a told you so/son i am disappoint thing here....

Comprehensive insurance too expensive? Yet you drive a highly modified imported car? This is madness dude.

Its gonna be a hell of a lot more expensive to buy a new car or buy this one back if they write it off...

Would you pay $3500 per year on full comp insurance on a car worth 10k ? Where as 3rd party fire and theft is $440

Riced_Civic
31-03-2012, 08:52 AM
But as u see he was in an accident, it wasnt stolen or set on fire.

dc2r-0636
31-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Also wasn't his fault was it

chauster
31-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Write off in VIC only needs to be damage to the value of about 40% of the car.

What's your agreed value?

Lol wtf!? So wrong info. It's 70-80% I'm in the trade...

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 09:45 AM
please no domestics in the thread :P

still wondering what my car is worth ?

and how do i go about pressing that they fix my car, unfortunately im an easy person to push over, :( so i just need to know how to get the most out of whats happened, ultimately i would like the car fixed.

dougie_504
31-03-2012, 09:51 AM
please no domestics in the thread :P

still wondering what my car is worth ?

and how do i go about pressing that they fix my car, unfortunately im an easy person to push over, :( so i just need to know how to get the most out of whats happened, ultimately i would like the car fixed.

Have you spoken to your insurance company? You said you have 3rd party, yes? Should be quite straightforward. Tell them you want it repaired.

Lol wtf!? So wrong info. It's 70-80% I'm in the trade...

I doubt an insurance company would pay 80% of the value of a car in repairs rather than write it off, however if you're in the trade then I will take your word for it. Regardless, this is what my dad's insurance company told him when he gold hail damage - that the damage needed to be less than 40% of the insured value of the car otherwise they would write it off. Perhaps due to large amount of hail damage at the time?

chauster
31-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Yep they cbf with all the claims. There wouldn't have been enough time to do them all if not for a low write off.

It's 70-80% a few of my friends became assessors yeah and they tell me the same.

Bludger
31-03-2012, 10:11 AM
bad luck, i know the feel.

senna
31-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Would you pay $3500 per year on full comp insurance on a car worth 10k ? Where as 3rd party fire and theft is $440

If i had a car with that many mods, yes.

Or if i didn't, i would want to be prepared to say goodbye to the car...

You can't say "Oh i think its too much to insure my highly modified car that has comparitively zero market value" and then be worried about it or wonder why people think its silly.

The owner chooses to modifiy (or buy the car) to a high state. the owner chooses to accept that he or she will never get that money back.

As the general market sees it: Stock car is worth 10K - Highly modified car is worth......10K.

Sorry OP, i didn't mean to get so off track here. I don't think the car will be written off, just let the two insurance companies sort it out. You aren't at fault, express to them that it was no fault of your own that the vehicle now needs repairs, you didn't choose to have this done. You expect it to be repaired.

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 10:41 AM
thanks heaps senna, means heaps :)

my other worry is, i have been told that they wont repair the front because i may have been to close to the car infront, however this is not the case, he rammed me at LEAST 2 - 3 metres.

thanks everyone everything is much appreciated.

lilthug
31-03-2012, 10:50 AM
supercharged on ur Ps

i hope u got exemption to drive that

else insurance might be void

Bludger
31-03-2012, 10:51 AM
worse comes to worse, part out.

WATAJK
31-03-2012, 11:07 AM
supercharged on ur Ps

i hope u got exemption to drive that

else insurance might be void

He's not at fault.
His insurance doesn't do anything in a third party claim.
Your thinking of full comp.
If your driving a car that your not be, someone hits you, yet your not at fault, his insurance still must pay for the damages.
Reverse the other way, if your at fault, then yes, your claim is void.

The truck hit him - He's not at fault (Like in most situations when a car is rear-ended)
He's hit the car in front - Usually the driver who hits the other up the ass is at fault but in this scenario is different as the truck has possibly pushed him into the other car causing the damages, so i believe the truck is at fault for 2 claims.

OP - I don't think your car is written off, but it will be close.

aaronng
31-03-2012, 11:07 AM
You are going to have to chase the truck's insurance company for the claim. Go get 3 quotes for repairs and send them to the truck's insurance company. They don't need to know the car's value. They need to know how much to repair. They can't write your car off since your car is not being insured by the truck's insurance company. Make sure your have the case number from the police for the accident.

curtis265
31-03-2012, 11:14 AM
complain your arse off so taht it doesn't get written off.. or if it is written off, offer to buy the wreck back for a lot less?

lilthug
31-03-2012, 11:15 AM
He's not at fault.
His insurance doesn't do anything in a third party claim.
Your thinking of full comp.
If your driving a car that your not be, someone hits you, yet your not at fault, his insurance still must pay for the damages.
Reverse the other way, if your at fault, then yes, your claim is void.

The truck hit him - He's not at fault (Like in most situations when a car is rear-ended)
He's hit the car in front - Usually the driver who hits the other up the ass is at fault but in this scenario is different as the truck has possibly pushed him into the other car causing the damages, so i believe the truck is at fault for 2 claims.

OP - I don't think your car is written off, but it will be close.

i was under the impression
even tho his not at fault
he would have to pay for everything out of pocket because his driving a car thats his not allowed to

Killa From Manila
31-03-2012, 11:16 AM
soo...why did you merge inbetween a semi trailer and another car. dont you know how long it takes a truck to stop.

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm not an idiot mate, I was already at the traffic lights. He pulled up behind me, then began to hit me. He could not see me, his words were I thought I only saw one car stopped at the lights.

curtis265
31-03-2012, 11:42 AM
soo...why did you merge inbetween a semi trailer and another car. dont you know how long it takes a truck to stop.

not the time and place for this

na-118
31-03-2012, 11:47 AM
this car will not be written off

androo
31-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Very true... Especially if you then brake abruptly due to a red light.

OP, if you currently have your car, part it out now. Take all your parts off especially your super charger as this is a bit of a gray area ragarding your claim. No damage to the kit whole have been done during this accident so you can make some money back anyway.

For everyone who is bagging out the OP regarding not getting full insurance, pull your head out of your arse. First of all this accident was technically not his fault and therefore besides convenience reasons, comprehensive insurance is irrelevant. Secondly, both comprehensive and third party insurance would be void if the OP is not allowed to drive a supercharged or turbocharged car (OP can you confirm?).

Regardless, most people cannot comprehend spending upwards of $3000-4000 a year to insure a car worth less than $10,000-$12,000. In only 2 years the OP has almost paid the value of his car for 'insurance'. In this case, almost all but the worse accidents can be repaired using the $4000 premium the OP would have to pay for a years cover. Does this make sense to anyone?

OP, DW when I was the same age as you and was quoted $3,400 to insure a $4000 Integra VTi-R (market value)............ But some idiots out there think we should pay this amount. Worse case scenario, if I crash into someone 3rd party ($700) pays for their damage, and if my car is a total wreck I can go buy another car from the money I would have spent on full insurance.

Also, if our premiums are $4000, please don't talk about adding 'agreed value' on top of this... Then it would just get ridiculous... Everyone assesses the value of insurance vs their own position and while some people make very stupid decisions ($50,000-80,000 car, no insurance), in cases where the car has little value and full insurance is extremely high, it doesn't make sense. Especially when you're talking about your own money and not your mummy and daddy's.

Bludger
31-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Very true... Especially if you then brake abruptly due to a red light.

OP, if you currently have your car, part it out now. Take all your parts off especially your super charger as this is a bit of a gray area ragarding your claim. No damage to the kit whole have been done during this accident so you can make some money back anyway.

For everyone who is bagging out the OP regarding not getting full insurance, pull your head out of your arse. First of all this accident was technically not his fault and therefore besides convenience reasons, comprehensive insurance is irrelevant. Secondly, both comprehensive and third party insurance would be void if the OP is not allowed to drive a supercharged or turbocharged car (OP can you confirm?).

Regardless, most people cannot comprehend spending upwards of $3000-4000 a year to insure a car worth less than $10,000-$12,000. In only 2 years the OP has almost paid the value of his car for 'insurance'. In this case, almost all but the worse accidents can be repaired using the $4000 premium the OP would have to pay for a years cover. Does this make sense to anyone?

OP, DW when I was the same age as you and was quoted $3,400 to insure a $4000 Integra VTi-R (market value)............ But some idiots out there think we should pay this amount. Worse case scenario, if I crash into someone 3rd party ($700) pays for their damage, and if my car is a total wreck I can go buy another car from the money I would have spent on full insurance.

Also, if our premiums are $4000, please don't talk about adding 'agreed value' on top of this... Then it would just get ridiculous... Everyone assesses the value of insurance vs their own position and while some people make very stupid decisions ($50,000-80,000 car, no insurance), in cases where the car has little value and full insurance is extremely high, it doesn't make sense. Especially when you're talking about your own money and not your mummy and daddy's.
need to talk to you.

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 12:19 PM
@bludger ^^ ?? LOL

I unfortunately just moved into. Newcastle, and all my factory items are in dubbo :( so its quite a drive for me to get parts then uninstall then reinstall factory intake etc... And working a new full time job would be hard to juggle all these things around. I'm thinking maybe get the quotes and if they decide to write it off then worry about it. I'll probably install the b20 and take my entire setup out. Could I do this?

Bludger
31-03-2012, 12:24 PM
@bludger ^^ ?? LOL

I unfortunately just moved into. Newcastle, and all my factory items are in dubbo :( so its quite a drive for me to get parts then uninstall then reinstall factory intake etc... And working a new full time job would be hard to juggle all these things around. I'm thinking maybe get the quotes and if they decide to write it off then worry about it. I'll probably install the b20 and take my entire setup out. Could I do this?
the issue Androo's talking about is you not being covered @ all because you're not entitled to drive your car with the supposed modifications you have.

WATAJK
31-03-2012, 12:28 PM

This.
Not having a go at you OP but i drive trucks for work and i can't stand it when people go infront of me to gain one spot infront just to see how quick they can move up in line...
What you must be aware of... A semi isn't going to stop for you always.

By the way, i just remembered, you better hope he didn't film you, most truckies now have camera's recording constantly whilst there driving to show stupid antics of other drivers and to show how they aren't at fault and that it's generally a driver who has cut them off.
So if you are telling the truth which im assuming you are, you should be fine but if your pulling strings here, you'll get torn a massive new a-hole if he has caught what you've done on camera.

Hoping the best for you mate.

the issue Androo's talking about is you not being covered @ all because you're not entitled to drive your car with the supposed modifications you have.

But if he's not at fault then a claim should be processed regardless because insurance companies (when third party and not at fault) will not look for things to void his insurance as he wasn't the one who caused the accident (assuming).
They will be assessing to see at first if they can void the truckies insurance if he has an unroadworthy truck etc.

I do agree on the matter that if he has heavily modified his car, regardless, full comprehensive is a must.
Each to there own, i originally didn't have full comprehensive in my first year of ownership of my DC5 but now have had it for 2 years.
You do feel alot more comfortable driving.

Feel free to say other wise.

Bludger
31-03-2012, 12:34 PM
But if he's not at fault then a claim should be processed regardless because insurance companies (when third party and not at fault) will not look for things to void his insurance as he wasn't the one who caused the accident (assuming).

mate.

WATAJK

if he's not following the law by driving a vehicle he's not meant to be, it's his fault regardless.

watajk

WATAJK
31-03-2012, 12:39 PM
mate.

WATAJK

if he's not following the law by driving a vehicle he's not meant to be, it's his fault regardless.

watajk

Your an absolute turd considering i only quoted and replied kindly.
He's driving a vehicle he's not meant to be mate, yes, then again he never caused the accident.
Details were exchanged, he won't have any problems with his own claim as he isn't fault.
If he caused the accident then his insurance would be void because he's driving a vehicle he shouldn't be.

THE only way they would have voided him (regardless if at fault or not) was if the police were called and he was issued a penalty notice that said he was driving a car not within his limits.
If the police were called and no notice was given then im sure this will be resolved with no problems towards OP provided he isn't at fault.

Don't like my answer to bad.
You mad bro?

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 12:40 PM
If they can spot the kit then so be it. Factory intake car looks stock in engine bay

Bludger
31-03-2012, 12:41 PM
you must be joking bro.

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 12:41 PM
He would make a fool of himself if he were to show a video lol... I was parked at lights then he crushed me .

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Explain.

Bludger
31-03-2012, 12:44 PM
you interrupted in a friendly conversation between me and watajk.

WATAJK
31-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Explain.

Only asked that's all.
Question that only can remain that he could argue which would be hard, when your overtook him, if you left him enough room to stop which in theory it's the same concept of merging between cars, you should always allow enough stopping room.
Truck's require alot more.
That's all.

you interrupted in a friendly conversation between me and watajk.
Im not going to troll your ass anymore you tool.
Your a waste of time.

Bludger
31-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Im not going to troll your ass anymore you tool.
Your a waste of time.
thank you, I class you in the same boat as EG52NV

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh so that wasn't to me?? Lol sorry

levi R
31-03-2012, 02:32 PM
off topic -i saw this driving through charlestown the other night, you were chopping and changing through traffic and i thought to myself only a matter of time before you had an accident.

but i feel ya pain. sucks ass- hope it workd out for you. if you get it back on the street put the oem wheels and bonnet back on asap! not many jdm front tegs in newcastle let alone genuine imports!!!

aaronng
31-03-2012, 03:30 PM
i was under the impression
even tho his not at fault
he would have to pay for everything out of pocket because his driving a car thats his not allowed to
No, that's not true

dougie_504
31-03-2012, 03:47 PM
No, that's not true

Yeah. He's not covered at all by his insurance company if his car is modified and they're unaware (and the accident was his fault).

Stay on topic please dudes, no personal banter or we'll just end up closing the thread for the timebeing.

OP just call your insurance company.

flipfire
31-03-2012, 03:59 PM
1) Get quotes from 3 repairers, show it to the guy and get an insurance claim number off him.

2) Give the chosen repairer the claim number so they can file the repair job with the insurance company.

3) Assessor will come out a week or two later to inspect your car and approve of the repairs.

4) Once its approved you just leave the car at the repairers for a few weeks.

Thats how it worked for me anyway.

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 08:21 PM
one more question, when I was hit, I wasnt in Newcastle, I was in umina for my sisters wedding, can I take it anywhere I like to get inspected?

And a big thanks to everyone for your time to help me out.

Alexplicit
31-03-2012, 09:06 PM
@levi R, tell me more about this cause I would love to question the driver of my car the night it was taken to Charlestown. Not impressed. Pm me please

androo
31-03-2012, 09:25 PM
So you Weren't the driver? =O

grifty
31-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Btw your car will not be written off since u dont have full comp insurance.

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Explain grifty.

Stevil
01-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Did the Semi have time to pull up ?? their braking distance is a lot greater ? not trying to play the blame game cause hes run into you.

I would suggest you engage a cheap solicitor if you want a good outcome. Truck insurance is effing expensive and minor accidents cost em dearly in much higher premiums. For your claim to be taken seriously by his insurance you need your corrspondance on a solictors letter head. Good luck.

also did you go to a police station and do a traffic accident report ?

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Lol I was already pulled up at the lights. He was way behind he said he just did not realize I was at the lights. And as he crept up to the carthat was infringing of me , which he could see he just crushed me. It was not a collision crash, he just kept pushing me cause he didn't know I was there :(

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 10:15 AM
God damn auto correct * in front of me **

na-118
01-04-2012, 10:31 AM
every ****'s stressing out, end of the day you will not be paid out, this vehicle will be repaired,
if they find out you driving supercharger and you're not suppose to, warranty voided
if supercharger not engineered and it goes to assesment centre you're ****ed,
same goes with all your parts,

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
I like these straight forward answers. :D I'm not worried about te supercharger, for those who have seen my setup will know it's not visible from in front of, or side on view you would literally have to lay on top of engine and look down the back of the engine.

Reguarding other modifications, should I be worried about the coilovers? Other then that there is nothing that I can think of?

slingsy
01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I paid $1300 with a lowered agreed value of $13,750 (was $14,5k previous year)

There is cheapish insurance.. and the younger/less experienced you are the more expensive it is, this is why Just Cars is popular for younger drivers they keep their prices reasonable.

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 02:13 PM
When And if car is fixed I will look deeper into getting insurance. Just car will insure me you think? I'm 21 and my car is an import?

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 03:42 PM
and also what sort of car is that?

slingsy
01-04-2012, 04:03 PM
When And if car is fixed I will look deeper into getting insurance. Just car will insure me you think? I'm 21 and my car is an import?

Yea they will definitely insure you.. I've got a '00 dc2r.

grifty
01-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Im 20 and my car is an import and im insured with them.

na-118
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
why would you not be worried about supercharger but you are worried about coilovers?

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
You can NOT see it, I'll put up a picture

mugen_ctr
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Interesting read to say lol...

my 2 cents, IMO an experience, if the truckie has admitted at fault, as u stated he didnt see you and only one car than the fault is withing the truckie, there for regardless of whom is driving and the status of the car, modified or not, still has to be repaired or compensated one way or another... I know because some bitch hit my car last year, (im with AAMI btw), yet they still repaired my car, even though the policy states the vehicles is unmodified in any way, an mine is far from being standard LOL

SO long as ur not at fault, i can see this swinging in ur favor, so long as the truckie sticks to his words and not twists it

flipfire
01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
I dont think your mods really matter because your on third party. Your insurance company isnt even involved.

Its the truck drivers policy that covers the property he damaged. I doubt his insurance company will refuse repairing your car unless the supercharger had a major role in the accident, which it didnt.

Even if your car was dead stock, the accident still would have happened.

On the other hand... if you didnt have a licence, it would be a different story because you wouldnt even be on the road at all. Now this is a good reason for them not to pay out.

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 08:00 PM
:)

yay more positive feedback :)

i had to play with the front end today, cause i couldnt see at night :( and the front bar was falling off

Touge Tom
01-04-2012, 08:56 PM
@ alexplicit. brother I feel your pain. a few weeks back i rear ended a commonwhore. in my DA9. thank **** i wasn't in my DC2(jdm front end). i know its the SHIT! to cruise 'round in a genuine jdm teg. but maybe you should get some prices from a HONDA dealership or spares supplier on the oz spec front end, and fittings. i'm only saying this due to it being a hard front end to find, and most smash repairer's would most likely just slap on oz spec panels anyway, if their honda savvy?

Danzvtil
01-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Hey alex
its my understanding under the circumstances that the following will happen:
1- The car in FRONT who you hit will make a claim on you for their damage
2-Your 3 rd party will cover this by then claiming on the truckies insurance company.
3-You will then have to demand damages from the truckie for repairs to your car.As stated earlier, YOU will have to send demand letters, get quotes etc, because you are not comp covered.
4-You may have to pay your excess for the car in front.

Id first call your 3rd party company to confirm the above and what advice they may give you (if any) about how you may get your claim from the truckie.
Let us know how you go :-)

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
the car i hit took off, he looked at his ea falcon and just said looks fine to me, and took off lol

i would write the car off entirely and build a civic before i put a oz front end on. i still have a jdm front sitting at my house but front bar has crack. reguardless it would be more expencive to weld an entire new front end on then it would be to find just the front bar. *surely*

mugen_ctr
01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
the car i hit took off, he looked at his ea falcon and just said looks fine to me, and took off lol

i would write the car off entirely and build a civic before i put a oz front end on. i still have a jdm front sitting at my house but front bar has crack. reguardless it would be more expencive to weld an entire new front end on then it would be to find just the front bar. *surely*

before jumping to conclusions, ask around to see if the bumper is still repairable, usually its on the spot quote, yes the easiest option is the replace the bar, but its still possible to save the bar but wont be cheap, plastic weld an heating an reshaping it, the rear end of the car, i wouldnt know for sure, few other guys will know for sure :)

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
thanks man, will take this into concideration! sounds like an easier way then for the m to find me a new front bar.

i wonder if smash repairers could find JDM panels and parts easier then us?

tiksie
01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
wanna sell your front lip ?????

Bludger
01-04-2012, 11:16 PM
wanna sell your front lip ?????
LOL

dis guy.

Alexplicit
01-04-2012, 11:27 PM
i have a spare... what are you offering for it? pm sent

tiksie
01-04-2012, 11:43 PM
lol

dis guy.
:ddddddd

zedries
01-04-2012, 11:44 PM
1) Get quotes from 3 repairers, show it to the guy and get an insurance claim number off him.

2) Give the chosen repairer the claim number so they can file the repair job with the insurance company.

3) Assessor will come out a week or two later to inspect your car and approve of the repairs.

4) Once its approved you just leave the car at the repairers for a few weeks.

Thats how it worked for me anyway.

This is the best thing to do.

Everybody banging on about how cars are written off are in the most part incorrect.

The simple explanation is that if the insured/market value (in your case market value) is less than the cost of repairs and any applicable salvage value of the vehicle then it will not be written off.

As an example:

Market value = $10K
Cost of repairs = $4k
Salvage value = $2K

therefore repair and not write off.

It's a simple economic equation.

Things which affect the car value are things like the amount of kilometres, factory accessories, pre-existing damage and the general condition.

I won't get into the garbage about non disclosures for your insurance and what type of car you should or shouldn't be driving because.. quite frankly I don't want to...

I do this for a living (insurance companies are my clients) and have recently had a similar experience with a taxi driver who rode into the rear of me and i'm in the process of having his insurance company cut me a cheque after I took the car home, detailed the shit out of it and made the assessor come see it at my home in some soft lighting you could say.. lol.

Needless to say, the market value of my mums micra I was driving at the time was greatly increased by the low kilometres and the fact I made sure it was gleaming and looked totally stock when it was assessed.

Go somewhere for a quote who will not bend you over. explain to them you don't want the car written off.

Best of luck.

Zaahir

Vvvtec
02-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Your car is so dirty

na-118
02-04-2012, 12:49 AM
im sure if you're with aami they;ll see it cause ill pump your ass

Alexplicit
02-04-2012, 07:53 AM
wahhhhh??

and as for the car being dirty, i had just driven 300ks..

Alexplicit
02-04-2012, 08:34 AM
After realigning headlight so I can see hopefully they can repair the bar and just realign everything back up

Evok
02-04-2012, 10:39 AM
:( omg...seen this at a meet...shame to see it get hit!

Alexplicit
02-04-2012, 12:12 PM
sad day was sad. im going to get some quotes done within the hour.

ill update when i get back

CrystalSkull
02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
You're lucky this time, good luck getting a payout, I can't offer advise based on experience as my P plater car was a rusty pulsar n15 (which I bought from a vietnamese catholic, it included pictures of mother mary on the visors, but smelt of bong water like her son had been pulling cones down the freeway) as such I decided on 3rd party property insurance but here's my unsolicited idea: your car should be crushed into a cube and you should start again, save up some money (interesting idea http://www.barefootinvestor.com/free-cars-buying-plan/) buy a jazz or something else 'slow', buy full comp insurance & get some more driving experience - all of us we can never have enough experience. Speaking of which the one thing you've gained from this is experience :)

akjdfnn
02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
mate.

WATAJK

watajk

not true bruv. when you buy an insurance policy, you agree to the T's and C's, and it's implicit you tell them the truth. With any insurance policy, your asked specifically "Have you provided us true, and accurate information to the best of your ability" etc. You MUST agree to do this or they will not offer you an insurance policy. If he has lied to his insurance provider, regardless of who is at fault, whether the mods have contributed to the accident or whether the mods are legal or not, his insurance policy CAN be nullified.

That said, if he only has 3rd party, HIS insurance company has no responsibilities to him in this instance anyway. As he is not at fault, he will be dealing with the truck drivers insurance company only. If the police were called, they would have taken photo's and determined who was at fault. Obviously it was the truck driver, if you hit sum1 from behind, you have not left yourself enough time to stop, and this is categorised at negligent driving, and he will be charged with that offence, and as he will be determined at fault, his 3rd party insurance policy will cover the damage caused to the integra (or whatever action they take based on the assessment).

The owner of the integra could have been issued with penalty notice at the scene for driving a banned vehicle, or given defect notices for non-compliance, but it would not have affected who was at fault in the accident, and therefore, who is liable to pay for the damages.

^^he can probably be charged with negligent driving for this, leaving the scene of an accident without exchanging details is an offence.

Stock car is worth 10K - Highly modified car is worth......10K.

Very true, +it's x50 harder to sell.

My advice to op is to take off anything thats illegal., so probly all your mods. Better to be safe than sorry, regardless. It's also a good idea because if they write off your car they will take it, audio gear/mods and all, and you wont get them back, and if you can you will be paying for them.

They damage doesn't look bad, but on most newish japanese cars it doesn't have to look bad for there to be real damage underneath. The assessor WILL look behind your engine, and they will see the supercharger. (If they're doing thier job correctly, that is. They need to determine if the car is safe to drive, i.e inspect engine mounts, exhaust mounts etc). That said, whether or not an assessor will know a supercharger when they see one, is another matter. On top of that, there is a good chance they won't know your a p plater, unless you keep your p's on your car when they come.

zedries
02-04-2012, 04:03 PM
akjdfnn,

Don't take this the wrong way but you are only partically correct on just about everything. Now I may sound like I am splitting hairs but when people speak about "liability", we are talking about property damage and NOT "fault per se. The distinction is important as you have so accurately described, for the truck driver to have rear ended the OP it is almost inevitable that he could be charged with negligent driving.... the issue is that is dependent on any attending police officers.

Whether the OP is fined/cautioned/defected for said modifications is also something that is determined by the attending/reviewing/OIC - ie the Police.

Now, when an you go to take out a policy of insurance, being for example, a conprehensive policy, the insurer will ask a number of questions. Some may relate to your driving record and any modifications to your car. These factors are taken into account and are known as the underwriting guidelines which will assist the insurer in deciding if they extend a policy of insurance to the driver/owner (depending on who gets teh policy).

if it turns out the insured person did not disclose certain things to the insurer then the insurer MAY have the ability to deny the claim. The insurer can only deny the claim as it relates to the prejudice they suffered. For example, if the insurer says "if they told me there were bolt on mods I wouldn't have insured", then the insured person may be boned however if all it meant was the insurance premium would go up then the insured person can pay the premium difference and insurance would continue.

There are a number of things to be taken into consideration but i just wanted to clear up a couple of the misnomers in what you wrote.

Moral of the story -
1) third party insurance at your own risk;
2) modify your vehicle at your own risk; and
3) don't lie to your insurance company - they will catch you and you will not get insurance from anyone for at least 5 years if you are lucky.

That is insurance law 101... to be continued at a fee! LOL...

Sorry to go off track OP...

How are those quotes coming along?

Alexplicit
02-04-2012, 04:29 PM
before you all read this, for those who have personally dealt with me, i am a nice friendly person, and will listen to any helpful advise that isnt complete and utter bullshit. so sorry guys but i am not going to sit back and take this one.

@ CrystalSkull
who are you troll?? wake up to yourself, telling me im not an experienced driver, and saying my car should be crushed into a cube, trying to get me to bu a jazz?
sorry mate, just because you had a shitter for your first car, means that i should have one? i have paid for every one of my cars out of my pocket and my integra is built by me and paid for by me!

Ive pored everything i have got so i can become a better driver and making my car sound and road worthy, i don't have shitty mods that are just dangerous and ridiculous. so what i drive a supercharged car, i have NEVER been pulled over for driving like an idiot, speeding, etc. because i believe i am somewhat of an experienced driver, ask anyone, the streets are NOT for driving like an idiot, i live an hour away from Sydney if i wanna go stupid.

you sir are an idiot, if you actually took 5 minutes to read this, you will clearly see that i am not at fault of this crash, and ive never had any bad strikes against my name regarding a car crash! at any time i will happily take guided advise, but you are a joke.

Alex

CrystalSkull
02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Not trolling, like I wrote, just an unsolicited suggestion.
Buying a Jazz is my solution to everything.
Glad you let loose a little rage.
Ready to chill? if this were a pub your choice of drink would be my shout :)
Take care and good luck with your car.

Bludger
02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
You're lucky this time, good luck getting a payout, I can't offer advise based on experience as my P plater car was a rusty pulsar n15 (which I bought from a vietnamese catholic, it included pictures of mother mary on the visors, but smelt of bong water like her son had been pulling cones down the freeway) as such I decided on 3rd party property insurance but here's my unsolicited idea: your car should be crushed into a cube and you should start again, save up some money (interesting idea http://www.barefootinvestor.com/free-cars-buying-plan/) buy a jazz or something else 'slow', buy full comp insurance & get some more driving experience - all of us we can never have enough experience. Speaking of which the one thing you've gained from this is experience :):wave:

akjdfnn
02-04-2012, 06:48 PM
All of what i said was based on the assumption he didn't have an engineer's cetificate for his modifications. If he doesn't, then his mods are illegal. Insurance companies will not knowingly insure a car with illegal mods (not even shannons lol), nor will they honour an insurance policy on an illegally modified car involved in an at fault collision, particularly if it's going to cost them alot of money.

Any modification that "does not comply with standard", and isn't accompanied by a complete engineers certification is considered illegal.

Wheel size is a good example of this, your allowed to legally change the size of your wheels within certain limits, without being hassled by police or having to tell your insurance company. (width/diameter/wheeltrack)...but once you go beyond that, your required to get an engineer's certificate to certify that it still meets the ADR. You can easily bolt on a new set of rims thats alittle bigger than that, with no drama's, but the fact that you and i know it's safe, has nothing to do with it being certified legal. Most insurance companies will state that they will only insure LEGAL mods. It's never a matter of udjusting the premium to cater for illegal mods. That said, it's not good for an insurance to deny too many claims. I think they would probably use some discretion as to which claims are honoured and which arn't, based on the extent of the modifications.

The fact that he is driving a banned car, that has illegal modifications, would almost certainly void his policy, provided he was in a situation where he was making a claim on his own insurance company, and they had all the damning evidence lol

As you said, it's all about risk. Most big insurance companies arn't equipped to properly deal with the minority groups of people who modify thier cars, and don't tend to thoroughly investigate most claims. They repairers wan't to repair, and the customer want's his car back, it's nearly always that way.

Some insurance companies don't allow ANY mods. They draw up the terms under which they will insure you, you agree and abide to those terms, and in turn pay for the service. Legally, if you violate the terms of the contract, there are penalties. That said, what can happen, and what regularly does happen are quite different.

btw, nothing shit about a jazz...very good car, and a jazz is definatly a smarter choice for your first car, particularly while ur on your p's than a supercharged integra. Dunno what the point of saying the car should be crushed into a cube came from though?

CrystalSkull
02-04-2012, 10:20 PM
btw, nothing shit about a jazz...very good car, and a jazz is definatly a smarter choice for your first car, particularly while ur on your p's than a supercharged integra. Dunno what the point of saying the car should be crushed into a cube came from though?

Good to have a 'slow' car while learning to drive i.e. on your Provisional licence... and if you can do it in style by having a Jazz then all the better because of all the safety equipment. The point of saying the car should be crushed into a cube comes from my odd sense of humour, the OP asked "will it be written off?" My answer yes, after hearing your tale of being slightly crushed between a truck and a car your car should be crushed into a cube. Won't happen if the car is written off but the idea is amusing. Also a Jazz is cube-esque ;)

Alexplicit
02-04-2012, 10:32 PM
this isnt my first car lol also, im almost on my blacks.

i dont see the sence in having a slow car then making a huge jump to a fast car, i think if anything thats more dangerous.

not that its entirely relevant, but ive raced cars ever since i was able to, started off in speedway dirt events, and i was brought up on a farm, and believe it or not, please dont hate on me, but my first ever car that was my own when i was 13 years old... was an ae86 :( i didnt even know what i had... i think im lucky in a sence to have been brought up in a world of cars, and being able to drive them at such a young age.

i do not believe for a second im the worlds best driver, all im getting at is ive had an extra 4-5 years of driving/operating a car. even though driving on a track/farm/bush/wannabedirtdrifter... is nothing like driving on the streets, i think that it has its advantages of not having to go through the *getting the feel for a car, its was all natural, i could from the moment go focus 100 percent on my surroundings, blind spots, traffic, padestrians etc..

GSi_PSi
03-04-2012, 02:00 AM
im getting a headache reading the responses in this thread.

Alexplicit
03-04-2012, 07:07 AM
:) how do u think i feel!

CrystalSkull
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
please dont hate on me nah bro, i'd listen to jack johnson with any ozhomo including you, even Bludger.

EG52NV
04-04-2012, 12:14 AM
thank you, I class you in the same boat as EG52NV

Yeah the titanic and Bludger is captain

WATAJK
04-04-2012, 12:35 AM
akjdfnn,

Don't take this the wrong way but you are only partically correct on just about everything. Now I may sound like I am splitting hairs but when people speak about "liability", we are talking about property damage and NOT "fault per se. The distinction is important as you have so accurately described, for the truck driver to have rear ended the OP it is almost inevitable that he could be charged with negligent driving.... the issue is that is dependent on any attending police officers.

Whether the OP is fined/cautioned/defected for said modifications is also something that is determined by the attending/reviewing/OIC - ie the Police.

Now, when an you go to take out a policy of insurance, being for example, a conprehensive policy, the insurer will ask a number of questions. Some may relate to your driving record and any modifications to your car. These factors are taken into account and are known as the underwriting guidelines which will assist the insurer in deciding if they extend a policy of insurance to the driver/owner (depending on who gets teh policy).

if it turns out the insured person did not disclose certain things to the insurer then the insurer MAY have the ability to deny the claim. The insurer can only deny the claim as it relates to the prejudice they suffered. For example, if the insurer says "if they told me there were bolt on mods I wouldn't have insured", then the insured person may be boned however if all it meant was the insurance premium would go up then the insured person can pay the premium difference and insurance would continue.

There are a number of things to be taken into consideration but i just wanted to clear up a couple of the misnomers in what you wrote.

Moral of the story -
1) third party insurance at your own risk;
2) modify your vehicle at your own risk; and
3) don't lie to your insurance company - they will catch you and you will not get insurance from anyone for at least 5 years if you are lucky.

That is insurance law 101... to be continued at a fee! LOL...

Sorry to go off track OP...

How are those quotes coming along?

Point of the fact.
Third Party insurance doesn't chase up the other person's insurer, you have to do it yourself.
That's from my experience. This is also the reason why as you said, they won't cover modifications.
BUT
As i spoke to my insurer about this.
If i were to have an accident which im not at fault for, ANY damages caused by the accident must be repaired/replaced.
The amount of times car's with Carbon Fibre Bonnets have accidents and yet they still get covered (NON-ADR), provided you are not at fault.
When your at fault, it's a different ball game, insurance will look at any possible way to not pay you out.

Your car + modifications will be covered as your not at fault, regardless there not part of your policy etc.
That's why other have insurance to cover your damages, the other person's insurance had no idea they were going to hit a modified car.

Get your quotes done, speak to the repairers about your modifications and see what they say but they will tell you as i just said, it's a third party claim. Your insurance company won't even go check the repairs, the other insurer will.

You'll be sweet, i'll reply your PM OP, shortly.

Alexplicit
04-04-2012, 09:36 AM
thanks man :)

CrystalSkull
22-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Any updates on the cube? After so many questions I'd like to read about the outcome.

Alexplicit
22-04-2012, 01:31 PM
got all my quotes done, faxing them all off to his insurance tomorrow, hopefully be sorted within the month!

SuiJin
22-04-2012, 01:45 PM
if your in vic, you can turn around not get it fixed through insurance and sue the driver. umm pm me if your in the west, i know a panel shop that would do it, were cops involved?

Alexplicit
23-04-2012, 03:12 PM
im in newcastle nsw man