PDA

View Full Version : EG5 Sunroof problem.

projectsti
08-04-2012, 07:52 PM
So here's the problem;

My sunroof was stuttering a bit every time I opened it so I thought I'd give it clean.

Since I didn't have the allen key hex bits, I didn't remove the glass and just cleaned as best I could, I managed to get 90% of the visible dirt and grime off, however after lubing up the sunroof with silicon spray, it stutters a bit worse than before ! I've also noticed that if the I slide the sunroof all the way back, then go to close the sunroof, it'll slide forward and reach the end and then just stop. It's like the sunroof thinks it has closed itself but it's actually still in the "tilt/pop up" position. I have to then slide it back a bit then close it again for it to shut fully.

I hope that explanation was understandable, just wondering if anyone has any insight on this?

mytfoz
08-04-2012, 07:58 PM
so its sunroof thinks its close but its actually on tilt mode?
hrmmm could be motor problem
where abts u from in melb maybe i might b able to give u a hand with it.

grifty
08-04-2012, 08:04 PM
maybe use grease instead of silicon spray?

projectsti
08-04-2012, 08:15 PM
thanks for the reply guys, i just followed the DIY thread which said to use silicon spray. The sunroof closed fine before i cleaned it, so perhaps i got some grime back Into the mechanism? I'm located near parkmore SC if that helps.

mytfoz
08-04-2012, 08:20 PM
PM sent

dorikin
08-04-2012, 10:09 PM
If its staying in the tilt position when you try to close it then the lifter is binding on the glass bracket. Download the service manual so you can see diagrams of all the parts.

If it still stutters then its possible there's something broken/loose. I would recommend removing the glass, cleaning again, check for any loose screws or broken pieces, and try multipurpose grease on all the parts that come in contact with the tracks.

Bludger
09-04-2012, 12:25 AM
maybe use grease instead of silicon spray?
this.

the tracks are getting looser day by day and cleaning the grease off isn't going to help.

I never leave the sunroof open while driving. the Honda sunroof that slides out is a very poor design.

clean off the silicone and grease it up.

mytfoz
09-04-2012, 05:12 AM
well all good info we'll wait for him to give it another try. and i also PM'd him so if it fails maybe another helping hand could solve this problem :)