PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a qualified mechanic to engine swap an EG!

viett
10-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Okay here's a quick introduction.

Anyway my pride and joy WAS a Honda Prelude VTI-R BB6 running on a H22A. I won't go in to much details about my modifications and such but as you may have noticed, it WAS my pride and joy after being smashed by another driver. The accident was not my fault and she has offered to compensate for the repairs of my car via her insurance company. Most likely it would be a write off.

After a decent amount of research, I've decided that I rather engine swap a clean stock EG with low KMs instead of buying an EG with a swapped engine already. Mainly because I believe the previous owner would have thrashed their car and simply I just don't want someone's old toy.

Okay now I was wondering if there are any mechanics around Melbourne's Western Suburbs that are willing to do this engine swap for me?
How long will it aprox take?
How much would you charge in labor?
By the way the engines I'm considering are: B18C2, H22A or a K20 If I can get the funds.

Also I was wondering If I could hang around a bit and learn a few things, I'm quite noob at cars and I don't know much about the engine other than your simple bolt ons.

So in simple terms, I'm looking for a friend/mechanic that could help me with this.

Also just to simplify things, I'm edging more towards the B18C2

simmy
10-04-2012, 07:07 AM
B18c2 will be the simplest motor to go in then h22 following with the k20.

Labour will range from 1-5k from place to place and depending on which swap you are considering.

And time frame will depend on who does it for you and if they're busy, b swaps can be done in a day or two. The more complicated will take longer

Here's one http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-eg-ek-dc/b18c-full-swap-pictures-into-1992-civic-hb-si-523968/

Search up on google. Swaps all over the world, dun be lazy

Pm cb autos in Melbourne

jdm_b16a
10-04-2012, 07:12 AM
My pride and joy WAS a Honda Prelude VTI-R BB6 running on a H22A. I won't go in to much details about my modifications ...

So, you owned a Prelude with a modified H22A. Probably a reasonably powerful car then?

After a decent amount of research ...

What sort of research did you do? Online web searches, talk to people who have done engine swaps, read "Fast Fours & Rotaries"?

I've decided that I (would) rather engine swap a clean stock EG ... mainly because I believe the previous owner would have thrashed their car and simply I just don't want someone's old toy.

So are you saying your research showed that everyone who has ever had an engine upgrade thrashes their car? What about people who own Preludes with H22As and undisclosed modifications? What about people who buy EGs and do an engine upgrade?

So, I guess by now you see the error of your logic!

Not to mention you also bad-mouthed everyone on this Forum (and others) that has ever done an engine swap. Not a good way to make friends!

Peter

grifty
10-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Do some research buddy, plenty of threads like this laying around.

viett
10-04-2012, 07:28 AM
So, you owned a Prelude with a modified H22A. Probably a reasonably powerful car then?

What sort of research did you do? Online web searches, talk to people who have done engine swaps, read "Fast Fours & Rotaries"?

So are you saying your research showed that everyone who has ever had an engine upgrade thrashes their car? What about people who own Preludes with H22As and undisclosed modifications? What about people who buy EGs and do an engine upgrade?

So, I guess by now you see the error of your logic!

Not to mention you also bad-mouthed everyone on this Forum (and others) that has ever done an engine swap. Not a good way to make friends!

Peter

LOL I think you got me wrong, no my prelude was slow a shit and modifications I meant bolt ons. By reasearch I googled and looked at a few threads and guides, I read a few reviews on the different engines and I searched up a few prices of certain engines. I never related my 'research' to the engine thrashing.

Snoop_gee
10-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Seeing as everything is driven by $$$$$ generally.
If your looking at saving sometimes gettin an EG with already the conversion done can save you heaps.
Actually going thru or doing the conversion while it starts off cheap it really doesn't. Factor in all the bits that are required and needed it adds up and you will at times spend much much more than actually buying one thats already converted.

While you have pointed out your concerns of buying someone else's old toy. Hardly because you can still make it your own thru a paint job, wheels, and who knows what else.

The bigger blocks like h22a, k20's may have alot more involved regarding fitting it as appose to the smaller b series.
With that in mind i found the article already posted on Ozhonda. USEFUL

Motor Change guide for EG * B / D / H / K SERIES !!!! (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?47020-Motor-Change-guide-for-EG-*-B-D-H-K-SERIES-!!!!)

mocchi
10-04-2012, 09:17 AM
post your budget.

grifty
10-04-2012, 09:38 AM
+1 post your budget. If you have an extra 13k laying around then go K series.

CRXDEL501
10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Good info here guise!

Dude not everyone gets a conversion done to rape the engine lol

I'm sure the majority of people take pride and care in their Hondas and service them regularly

Doing a conversion, I don't think will be cheaper.

Also, how do you know the engine you don't buy isn't shot anyways or hasn't been thrashed?

Either way, car with engine done has been thrashed or not and engine you get has been thrashed or hasnt

If you find a clean car with a conversion why not just get it. Save yourself a headache

stndrd
11-04-2012, 08:11 AM
I can do a JDM B18C2 drive in drive out for 4.5K that includes timing belt kit, new clutch, new fuel pump & front brake upgrade if it is an EG hatch. If you want to go K swap, PM me and we can talk.

I'm located in S.E suburbs

viett
12-04-2012, 05:28 AM
I can do a JDM B18C2 drive in drive out for 4.5K that includes timing belt kit, new clutch, new fuel pump & front brake upgrade if it is an EG hatch. If you want to go K swap, PM me and we can talk.

I'm located in S.E suburbs

That 4.5K labor and parts right?

and my budget is around 10K-15K? I guess the better the stock car, the more I'm willing to spend on it.
and this is just a few questions before I get serious about it, I still have plenty of time to decide what I'm going for.

also I was thinking if I go K swap, would it be better in an EG or EK? are there any differences?

stndrd
12-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Yes that is 4.5k for parts & labour.

If you are wanting to go K swap, either chassis is good, tho if you go EK, it is best to change to an EG subframe as you get better axle geometry.

For a K swap drive in drive out prices start from around the 13k mark. Let me know when you get serious and he can chat

dougie_504
12-04-2012, 08:47 AM
+1 for stndrd.

Have dealt before, always happy!

viett
13-04-2012, 04:05 AM
4.5K is that with the JDM Dc2r engine? and how long wuld it roughly take?

stndrd
13-04-2012, 07:46 AM
JDM SiR engine. PM for further details