PDA

View Full Version : What should i get???!! Please help!

Goku
11-04-2012, 03:38 AM
hey guys im new here and im also new to the honda world. i recently bought a honda civic eg8 and i didnt realise that it had a dual carb engine cause i thought all of the civics would be fuel injected. after a couple of weeks the timing belt snapped and i had to replace it with a whole new motor. and i have spent at least a couple of thousand bucks into the car and i am regretting it now because i want a fuel injected version. what should i do? should i sell the car and get a newer civic or should i just keep the car? i love the car btw its just that cause its not fuel injected that makes me sort of want to sell it. or should i convert the car into fi??? cause i met a guy whos willing to sell me his entire 1999 ek with only 120xxx on the clock due to a rear end damge and its written off.

Drifter995
11-04-2012, 03:48 AM
you could buy that ek and chuck the engine in... or you could get a d15b7 or d16 something something... whatever the d series fi vtec is... I had a d15b7, it was a beautiful motor... I actually still have it... if you're in tas, I can give it to you if you want... if not, more for me.... to sit around and do nothing q.q

but yes, you could swap in a d15b7.. easy, probably a cheap swap. Or you could swap to fi... really up to you. Me being a man who has owned more carby cars than fi cars, I much prefer carby cars... they seem to have better response... but I think it's more a case of the car I drove being terrible (derp ford laser) the civ was pretty good...

So yeah, injected or webbers. ;D
/nonsensical nothing

simmy
11-04-2012, 05:46 AM
jdm d15b... is the way to go

youre better off selling and buyer a fuel injected car, unless

1. you have time to fuel inject your car
2. you have money to fuel inject your car

sell carby, buy fuel injected civic

engine swap - save more time money and problemz

curtis265
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
+1 swap the engine to another carby motor.

carbys are much more simpler to tune etc. (less accurate of course)

Goku
12-04-2012, 01:14 AM
thanks so much man. oh and btw what are them things called like instead of having the air filter box behind the carbs, they just have this thing around it and covers it up. im not too good at explaining it though. sorry.

Drifter995
12-04-2012, 01:57 AM
trumpets?
Or cone filter thingos... I think I know what you mean, but I don't know the name xD

Goku
12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
what are webbers? :)

trism
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Dear Goku,

Weber is an Italian company producing carburetors, currently owned by Magneti Marelli Powertrain S.p.A., in turn part of the Fiat Group.

I wish you lick,

Regards,

Sean.

Monetz
12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
i think you should get that ek and drop that engine into r u eg6

xV73Cx
12-04-2012, 11:15 AM
what are webbers? :)

webbers are the TB/IM equivalent for the carbies but is modified/unrestricted.

it allows more air into the engine, creating a higher combustion and outputs more power!

EDIT: webbers are not filters. - thanks Trism.

example
http://www.britishracecar.com/MarcusJones-Lotus18/MarcusJones-Lotus-18Jr-BC.jpg

trism
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
webbers are the filter type equivalent for the carbies.

it allows more air into the engine, creating a higher combustion and outputs more power!

example
http://www.britishracecar.com/MarcusJones-Lotus18/MarcusJones-Lotus-18Jr-BC.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondbelief/files/2012/02/Dwight-Schrute-False.jpg

Setanta
12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I feel old all of a sudden when people ask what Webbers are.

Actually, the EG carb motor's with two (Mikuni or Keihin?) carbs on them can be made to go hard to about 120bhp (done this with a ED Civic).

If you move from carb to FI then you need to do pumps, return lines etc - a big pain.

FYI: Webbers are carburettors (not filters lol) designed to let more volume in just as ITBs are on a FI motor - 1 intake hole per cylinder as opposed to a single barrel carb. In fact, in the 1960s, Honda used this setup on the S500/S600/S800 and later on the first generation 1970s Mugen Civics - except they ran four Keihin or Mikuni motorbike carbs. I have a feeling that the Coupe 7 and Coup 9s also ran this setup.

It makes more power at the top end sure, but as someone who ran 35mm Dell Orto (minature webbers) on a '76 Civic, they are sure as hell thirsty - but damn they shit all over the single carb setup.

trism
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
actually you don't need to do anything with fuel lines in a civic. They're the same between efi and carby.

You just need to upgrade the soft lines at either end.

markismaximus
12-04-2012, 12:41 PM
actually you don't need to do anything with fuel lines in a civic. They're the same between efi and carby.

You just need to upgrade the soft lines at either end.

+1. Drives me insane when people say you have to change over the lines.... when all you have to do is change the soft lines.

Goku
12-04-2012, 12:57 PM
thats the thing i was talking about. is that hard to do? because if its not too hard then i would like to try it out. is there anyone out there that has a step by step example on how to this on a twin carb d15b4? and to anyone who knows more about carbs, by doing this does it use more fuel or does basically stay the same? and is it also legal to do this? :) i heard some people saying that by doing this it uses more fuel and cause u cant get both in carbs like u do on efi. like performance and also economical stuff. cheers guys.

connorling
12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
i dont know how to convert the carby to EFi, but it doesnt cost much to get whatever d series engine which is carby and change the "soft lines" and fuel tank.

it costed me $500 for all the parts.
d series can get it for $500 or less.

and install might set you 1k or so.

how much do you wanna spend? do you want more power?

trism
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't bother Modding a carby engine. The only time I'd do it would be to a high compression b series or single cam d series vtec, with quad bike carbs on it.

They are too difficult to tune right, you can't really do it yourself, they will use heaps of fuel because they are only good for full throttle driving.

connorling
12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
^ agree!

straight to b16a if I were him.

Setanta
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Option b is you can drop a mild cam and headers with the existing motor and it will do fine too. There are also little tweaks that can be done to the twin single throttle body carbs but you are getting into voodoo territory there. Oscar Jackson in the USA ran these motors with twin webbers as did AT Engineering and pulled up to 160bhp out of them. They respond exceptionally well to mods but TBH, it's going to be expensive (webbers and manifold etc). You can get good mid-range response out of them as well as top-end - but that pretty much sums up every NA Honda :D

Why do you want EFI? This is the first question you should ask - fuel economy is comparable so there's no gain there. More power? You're going to struggle to get more than 10-20 bhp more with the base Fi motors (and unless your friend's car is a VTiR) then that's hardly going to be worth the cost either. Anything not B16A minimum is pretty pointless for a disposable car that you will probably sell off.

How much money are you prepared to spend? If you really want more power, then sell off the existing car and buy a 5th gen Si or VTi or a 6th Gen VTiR.

There's nothing wrong with carby cars when they are built by Honda - now my old EH and A9X Holdens - there I could tell you some horror stories :D

Goku
13-04-2012, 03:24 AM
thanks a lot for the help guys but i did some thinking and i will just most likely sell the car. :/ now another question i want to ask is what do yous think is the best? i love civics especially the egs but im more to the sedan tho but i also love integras. should i go for a vti civic or a gsi integra or vtir integra? hardly find any of the vtir around though. saw one for 8k in great condition but im not in a hurry to dispose my current car. :) cheers. oh and btw i do not know about the power difference in these cars so i would be glad if someone could like explain it to me. i know the vtir is a dohc vtec b18c2 n the vti civic are d16y8 and im not sure bout the gsi tegs. b18b2 is it? but any how i still want to know about your opinion guys. and if i do sell my civic i want to keep the next car for a fair long amount of time. :)

FAITHLESS
13-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Go with vtec b series. These are the civic vti-r, the integra vti-r and the integra type r.

Goku
13-04-2012, 06:05 PM
thanks a lot for the help guys but i did some thinking and i will just most likely sell the car. :/ now another question i want to ask is what do yous think is the best? i love civics especially the egs but im more to the sedan tho but i also love integras. should i go for a vti civic or a gsi integra or vtir integra? hardly find any of the vtir around though. saw one for 8k in great condition but im not in a hurry to dispose my current car. cheers. oh and btw i do not know about the power difference in these cars so i would be glad if someone could like explain it to me. i know the vtir is a dohc vtec b18c2 n the vti civic are d16y8 and im not sure bout the gsi tegs. b18b2 is it? but any how i still want to know about your opinion guys. and if i do sell my civic i want to keep the next car for a fair long amount of time.

Goku
16-04-2012, 12:57 AM
hey guys so i need a bit of help again. im thinking of actual selling the car now and im not sure how much is the car worth. but just to let u know that the car is running sweet and it is clean. a couple of tiny dent here n there but nothing major. i got the car last year and a couple of weeks later the timing belt snapped so i got a new motor fitted in and also changed the clutch, thrust bearing, flywheel, all the fluid flushed and filled with genuine honda oil, new radiator, new brake pads, new front and rear bumpers cause i reversed into a trolley pole (complete idiot of me) and all up ive spent about 3k on it. so any ideas guys? :) cheers

Drifter995
16-04-2012, 03:21 PM
how many km's has the engine done, how many has the body done? and how clean is it? and pics would help...

As for the eg's.. Both the eg and teggy look nice, and go hard. I had an eg gli, and that was a great car. Only problem I had with it is the now current gigantic dent in the side of it... *coughs* but yes, either or of them. I do love me a sunroof... I do like that poking up at the back thing with the sunroof, looks cool.

Goku
17-04-2012, 02:08 AM
well the engine has done just under 130xxxkms and the boday has done about 219xxxkms. i love both of them and i am just so confused at the moment. i would definately get a car with a sunroof for my next one because they just look awesome. i would post up some pics when i get my memory card back from my sis. :/

Drifter995
17-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Fairo. Iunno, but somewhere between 2-3k? that sound right to anyone else? maybe around the 3k mark? I don't think the carbie ones get a huge amount...

but, being me... If I found a vti shell (yes a shell) and I actually had money for once, I would buy the shell, rip the engine out of my currently bannaized eg, and roll that... d15b7 in a vti. Never had a vtec, kinda don't want one just yet, and kinda need a body for my d15... kinda sucks having no money q.q

Goku
18-04-2012, 12:37 AM
yeah i know what u mean. im paying off the car atm and im going to try my best to save up until i get enough to get something newer. i just want vtec to be honest. but can u even hear the sohc vtec crossover and is it powerful? i know it wont be as powerful as the dohc versions.