PDA

View Full Version : B20 EK Legal in QLD?

EvilJDM
11-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Hey guy's

Just a quick question, Is it legal to put a b20b3 block into my "Ek1 97"
I wont have any probleme's getting it registered in Queensland?
Or will I just have to confirm this with DOT, I dont fully understand there rule's and regulations...

Thank's guy's

simmy
11-04-2012, 05:39 AM
hey bud, i dont live in QLD myself, but this should give you a quick idea

"Modifications can be approved in three ways:

Minor modifications

Many minor modifications can be carried out with the approval granted by this booklet. Details of these modifications are outlined in Section 1.

[ from Section 1]

Replacement engines (from Section 1)

Replacement engines that are offered by the manufacturer as an optional engine for that model of vehicle may be fitted. For such conversions, all components, including suspension and brakes, must be identical to those of a vehicle originally produced with the optional engine.

[snip]

Complex modifications (Section 2)

Complex modifications such as engine, gearbox and rear axle, steering and brake replacements require approval from an Approved Person. Details of these modifications and the Approved Person Scheme are outlined in Section 2."

in simple words, to put a biggerengine (10% increase in displacement) in you have to get it approved/mod plated by an approved inspector (i'd say call qld transport for more info).

or running the appropriate brake and suspension setup which may be the brake/suspension setup from where your motor came from or just bigger brakes in general.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c792a0c9-92b1-43ee-933b-7bdd8b20842f/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

if you search up some in the for sale 'cars' thread for some queensland boys with engine swaps, you could also pm them for some info.

hoped this helped mun

edit:

also found this for ya

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?160745-Mod-plate

manolii
11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
like simmy found, rule is that if the engine size is the same you dont need a mod plate if the engine size is bigger you need a mod plate also if ur on ur P's you wont be able to drive it

CRXDEL501
11-04-2012, 09:03 AM
in simple words, to put a bigger engine in you have to get it approved/mod plated by an approved inspector (i'd say call qld transport for more info

This is wrong

You dont need a mod plate for every engine conversion

In this particular case he will, due to a 10% increase in displacement

eg5civic
11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
This is wrong

This mun noes

I went d16a8 to b16b with no plate.

B20 will require a simple mod plate, due to capacity increase you'll probably need uprated pads if not bigger brakes to get the mod plate. If its got vtir/dc2 brakes you should be fine

CRXDEL501
11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
This mun noes

I went d16a8 to b16b with no plate.

B20 will require a simple mod plate, due to capacity increase you'll probably need uprated pads if not bigger brakes to get the mod plate. If its got vtir/dc2 brakes you should be fine

Yeahhhh munn ;)

oopoc
11-04-2012, 03:22 PM
This is wrong

Just saying its 10% increase in power and or displacement is classed as a simple modification. Otherwise it's a complex mod and needs to be engineered and mod plated.

But a similar engine I.e d16 twin cam for a b16 twin cam, all you need is to tell them the vin is changing (some times you will also need an engineers cert)

CRXDEL501
11-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Just saying its 10% increase in power and or displacement is classed as a simple modification. Otherwise it's a complex mod and needs to be engineered and mod plated.

But a similar engine I.e d16 twin cam for a b16 twin cam, all you need is to tell them the vin is changing (some times you will also need an engineers cert)

Yeah....

Mullensxxx
11-04-2012, 04:59 PM
thats interesting because the fellow who does my mod plates said that **quote** "if the engine and box wasnt avilable if u were buying the car off the show room floor u will need a mod plate"

in saying that im sure a majority of transport people/cops would have no idea

eg5civic
12-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah mullens the mod plate guy that did my seats ect said that it should be plated as its a "high performance" engine swap, but cops never said anything when checking bay, they just ask is motor regod to chassis.

Oopac...... Dafaq?

manolii
12-04-2012, 02:05 PM
thats interesting because the fellow who does my mod plates said that **quote** "if the engine and box wasnt avilable if u were buying the car off the show room floor u will need a mod plate"

in saying that im sure a majority of transport people/cops would have no idea

didnt some EG's come with a B16?

trism
12-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Not Aussie delivered ones.

EvilJDM
15-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Bit of a late reply I know...

I was more so asking is it legal to put an older block into my ek with a newer head, and still be legal, I understand I will need a Mod Plate for it, If it's legal that is..

Thank's guy's