PDA

View Full Version : Noob rebuilding a EG Civic

simonhaha
11-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanna ask lol, does everyone that rebuild a car know everything about cars? It feels like people either know a lot of stuff or know nothing at all..

I pretty much know nothing but I am willing to learn, I have no mechanical back ground experience at all as I am just am IT techie.., apart from replacing a fuse under the bonnet and replacing a leaking radiator hose that is all i know...

Im thinking of buying an EG civic with more than 200,000 kms. I would love to take it apart install maybe a new motor in it, do a full respray, change this and change that and put new components into it to make it last longer or/and have more power.

Would i be able to pull all this off by myself and OZ honda threads?

Just pretend i have lots of money to throw around, but i want to do most things myself...

Thanks
Simon

mocchi
11-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi Simon,

first thing you gotta do before buying a socket set
is to download service manual for your car of choice (EG hatch/sedan) and study the procedure to do teardown.

http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals

I wish you lick,

Regards,

Sean

FAITHLESS
12-04-2012, 01:57 AM
basically if you don't mind stuffing a few things up along the way and spending money on things that you never expected, you can do it. just be prepared to make mistakes.
it's good to start on something cheap and simple. a carby eg would be a great start as you don't have the added complication of more wiring and sensors.
here's a list of a few things that are essential or will make your life easier:
- good socket set with 1/2 inch drive
- good spanner set
- torque wrench
- RTV sealant
- degreaser
- high temp grease
- engine hoist

you can find engine rebuild kits on ebay for pretty decent prices.

and as mocchi said, don't touch anything without a manual. i would just buy one for $50. haynes do some great manuals.

kyzz
12-04-2012, 02:36 AM
short answer = yes - it can be done, and has been done countless times; you'll have neough information on the internetz and on ozhonda to take it apart and put it back together with ease

I wish you lick,

Regards,

Sean

trism
12-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Simon,

You can do anything you put your mind to, with the right equipment, and plenty of research. Just make sure you search every question you have. Not just here on OzHonda, but use Google to your advantage, most likely the information you need will be out there already, without needing to ask again.

The most important thing is, don't use your daily as a project car. If you want to go to the extent you are, have another car that you drive every day, and this car that you work on, as a project. There is nothing worse than having it pulled apart, only to rush and put it back together so you can drive to work in the morning.

I wish you lick,

Regards,

Sean.

mocchi
12-04-2012, 05:27 PM
fkn lol. good info here guise.

Setanta
12-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I've been building cars for 20 years now... I have a good general knowledge and can usually work things out. I learn more and more every time I work on a car. That doesn't make me a good mechanic, just a capable one.

The best knowledge you can ever have is where you put down the tools and acknowledge that you need to take it to a qualified mechanic rather than stuff it up yourself.

ericl33
12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I recommend dc2 or ef.

mooshie
12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
why a DC2 or EF? EG would be just as easy as both

Mikecivic78
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Your question is extremely open-ended and hard to answer in a simple post. Here goes anyway...

Engine swaps are not for beginners and you'll need what faithless said, which is a more than modest outlay. One thing he didn't mention was a nice, good trolley jack and 4 jack stands. That and spanners/sockets etc are the basics of DIY

You can work up to an engine swap, but it could take a very long time DIY for someone who is a beginner atm, and it could end up unfinished or f++ed.

Also, what trism said, if that's your only form of private transport then (during the engine swap at least) you will be spending some time on the Cityrail or whatever it's called where you live. Consider that

Alternatively, you could do some handling mods to the car and enjoy it for what it is while you save for something better (ie; B series or turbo car etc)

Mikecivic78
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
why a DC2 or EF? EG would be just as easy as both

because DC2 and EF CRX come with B-series engines stock. They are getting pretty darn cheap these days.

trism
14-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Actually Aussie delivered EF crxs had a d series. Only the Japanese ones had the b.

jdm_b16a
14-04-2012, 07:27 AM
NOOB? Don't!

Peter

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Good info here guiseeee

Mikecivic78
14-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Actually Aussie delivered EF crxs had a d series. Only the Japanese ones had the b.

I'm pretty sure eric meant the JDM EF

void-
14-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes it can be done, it needs time and patience. If you dont have either one of them then forget it. Rebuilding a car isnt just a hobby its a way of life, its Ozhonda's way of life. We all cut our hands, cumed on our hands, bruises and had our fingers dipped in oil but its the passion that seperates us from others.

I wish you lick,

Regards,

Sean.

Setanta
23-06-2012, 02:43 PM

That's why they are called ED Civic/CRXs, not EFs :)

ceekay101
23-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Try take it apart with manual/guides you could be ok. Alot of non mechanical minded people have learnt alot from diy, Plus if you get stuck someone mechanically minded will chime in and give you advice. If your into diy id say stick d series as its all relatively cheaper. Then if your having luck and liking it you could do a possible engine swap?

If your keen maybe buy something with a factory b series? Makes it easier to figure out whats in it, with b series swaps you wont be sure what components were used until taken out. Which can come with some headaches as parts could have been frankenstiened, such as driveshafts etc.

connorling
23-06-2012, 04:29 PM
i would say start off with oil and oil filter change, coolent change, gearbox oil change.
then move on to brake pads and bleeding the brakes.
learn how to solder wires by installing gauges

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?149893-DIY-60mm-Water-Oil-temp-and-Pressure-gauge-install-on-a-DC5&highlight=oil+change

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?35408-DIY-Gearbox-oil-fluid-change-(b16a1)&highlight=gearbox

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?25233-Changing-Front-Brake-Pads-DC2R&highlight=brake+pads

you need to know how to look after the car before start modding the car