PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions

90civicGL
11-04-2012, 06:40 PM
First off, my transmission fluid filler bolt is stuck, I cant get a breaker bar in due to space, and cant undo it with a regular spanner or even doubling up spanners. So any tips on undoing this?

And second, after watching a video on how to, I noticed the guy replaced the crush washers. A 20mm one and a 14mm one. Do I need to replace these as I currently don't have any, and if yes do they have to be plastic or metal crush washers?

XB-16-AX
11-04-2012, 07:11 PM
First off, my transmission fluid filler bolt is stuck, I cant get a breaker bar in due to space, and cant undo it with a regular spanner or even doubling up spanners. So any tips on undoing this?

And second, after watching a video on how to, I noticed the guy replaced the crush washers. A 20mm one and a 14mm one. Do I need to replace these as I currently don't have any, and if yes do they have to be plastic or metal crush washers?

jack the car up as high as u can - using stands on both sides and put wheels under the car for extra support incase of the misfortune.

use a mullet and gently tap once or twice the nut/bolt into locking position then gently tap again towards to anti clockwise position (loosening way)

what your doing here is releasing/breaking any locked tension on the thread which should allow easement of the nut/bolt removal.

dont smash the shit out of the nut/bolt just tap it like a mofo.

and yes when replacing washers - always use the same time and size.

90civicGL
11-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Ok thanks, also the guy at repco sold me castrol VMX 80 gearbox oil, I assume this is the correct stuff. In the owners manual I cant remember what exactly it said. Like SA and CE oil or something like that, for aus temperatures 20-40W, but all the stuff I saw was like 75-80W

androo
11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
If you're only on jack stands you can use your socket set/spanner and a jack. Spanner on the bolt resting on the jack (making sure it's in the direction you want to turn the bolt) and jack slowly and carefully. Once the bolt moves just a bit you should be good to stop and use your hands.

Bit dodgy but works fine. You're welcome =]