PDA

View Full Version : Red learning key

sensei_
12-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Hi guys,

As mentioned earlier, I have taken possession of a Legend over from my parents. Now when I was going thru the box file from day one of ownership, I notice that there is one black keys and matching remotes, and one gray (valet) key.

However, I cannot find the red key, my dad claims never to have seen it, my mom claims to have seen it, but cannot locate it. When they purchased the car, one week later they had a another set of transponder key/remote set made for the car at the dealership. Am I right to say that the red key would have been given to the dealer to program the new key set?

I intend to make another set of keys so that a third driver can use the car without using the existing key.

Anyone know if it is possible to duplicate the transponder key, or am I royally screwed without the red learning key?

manolii
13-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Talk to a locksmith, I have been told i can get a copy of my black key (car only came with black key). But it will cost me something like $120 - $150 because of the transponder, they all claim that it will work like it was the black key. Just ask around, maybe talk to honda aswell?

evolution
13-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Not sure in the case of a Legend (what year is it anyway?), but my cars have never had a red key and from what i know, each car can only have 2 keys matched to it interms of the immobilizer.
Having said that, my Honda's have mostly been post 2006 cars.

sensei_
13-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Will speak to the dealer today, my mom has confirmed that the red key was given to the dealer to program the new key, but being they are clueless when it came to cars, they didnt think much of it. I dont have much much hopes but one can only try before making assumptions.

@evolution: my legend is 96. (KA9).

evolution
13-04-2012, 10:12 AM
^^^ you can ignore what i wrote then :p

good luck with finding your answer

sensei_
13-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Just got off the phone speaking to the dealer; they claim that when you buy preowned there is no guarantee that you will get a red learning key.

i was told that i can program up to four keys and as long as i have a mint master, then that is all that matters.

fwiw programming a new master key from an existing key is $80. key cut is about $30-35 from the locksmith, and you have to source your own T5 key.