PDA

View Full Version : 6 Inch Subwoofers

Azz86
13-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Has anyone tried a 6 inch subwoofers? Any opinions for or against?

Thinking that they would be perfect for any Honda being that you could install them in the rear without sacrificing boot space. Just not sure how good they actually sound. Wouldn't rival any 12 inch sub obviously.

Check out the link here for just one option:
http://www.kicker.com/CompVT

I have an EP3R which has the stock gathers front splits. Their actually pretty decent speakers.

trism
13-04-2012, 08:59 PM
in my experience, there's no point going smaller than an 8"

ericl33
13-04-2012, 09:03 PM
in my experience, there's no point going smaller than an 8"
the ones in the link, would be good for rear fill?

what you think?

trism
13-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't believe in rear fill.

However, they'd be awesome front stage mid bass drivers.

I'd use them in a 3 way setup.

EKVTIR-T
13-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Apparently they go down to 25hz.Not bad for such a small driver

Azz86
13-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Bit of background. My previous car (tegra) had 6 inch speakers all round. Pretty basic but they were all top quality Pioneers so pretty awesome system. Thinking I would like to follow the same strategy but with a little more bass. I surf a bit so not keen to clog up the boot.

Another question. Will they work ok if mounted in the standard mounting holes? Guessing you would only achieve 25Hz if it is mounted in a properly ported sub enclosure?

trism - nice build btw. Will be keen to see the finished product :)

ericl33
13-04-2012, 10:33 PM
would still be pretty good imo.

noob opinion.

Azz86
13-04-2012, 10:36 PM
would still be pretty good imo.

noob opinion.

I'm pretty keen to give it a go. What type of setup are you using ericl33?

ericl33
13-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty keen to give it a go. What type of setup are you using ericl33?
nothing special.

one car has I got no system in my cars.

Mrs car has alpine splits running off the headunit and 2x8" in the boot,

wants and needs, all about priorities atm.

CRXDEL501
13-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Too small not enough punch
No < 8"

Azz86
13-04-2012, 11:11 PM
nothing special.

one car has I got no system in my cars.

Mrs car has alpine splits running off the headunit and 2x8" in the boot,

wants and needs, all about priorities atm.

Priorities are the worst man. I'm feeling you :)

No < 8"

Yeh thinking that this will be the general opinion of most people. Might be able to fit an 8 inch if i'm a bit creative.

CRXDEL501
13-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Priorities are the worst man. I'm feeling you :)

Yeh thinking that this will be the general opinion of most people. Might be able to fit an 8 inch if i'm a bit creative.

Look into the space saver ones with built in amps... I havent used one personally but read they are ok.
Fusion or alpine make them in 8"

Azz86
14-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Look into the space saver ones with built in amps... I havent used one personally but read they are ok.

Ok. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.

Azz86
14-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Is this sort of what you mean:
http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=180

Looks pretty awesome but not sure about the price tag lol. I'll keep looking.

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I haven't seen that one before but looks good
There is also another alpine one and the fusion I mentioned
Part number fusion CPAS1080

Azz86
14-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I haven't seen that one before but looks good
There is also another alpine one and the fusion I mentioned
Part number fusion CPAS1080

Nice. Thanks for that. Looks pretty good.

Have you used one of these before?

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 09:41 AM
nahh i havent. i was going to, but with my setup i got no rear seats or rear interior, just two front components with an amp, and i didnt see the point in using a sub like that under my seat.

to be honest, im not too sure how good they would be.

depending on how much room you got... id even look into this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTX-Audio-RT8PT-Single-8-Road-Thunder-Loaded-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Box-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item43ae33228b&item=290685395595&pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures

ceekay101
14-04-2012, 10:08 AM
No < 8"

Thats what she said... haha but i was also considering hiding some 8's somewhere if i put audio back in. would be the best but with quality speakers and amp i reckon it would sound ok. wont be doof doof but will sound crisper with some mid and take the base away from the speakers. who makes good quality 8's? kickers have always been good to me but i havent had that big a range of stuff from them.

CRXDEL501
14-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I haven't had a complaint to date hahahaha oooooft

Drifter995
15-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Not enough cone area to get loud and low, if that's what you want... but if you just want it for rear sub-bass fill, it should suffice, provided you aren't playing anything lower than 25~hz... which mind you is pretty low anyway.

They should do for the job. They are designed for (or I am assuming they are) sub bass, as apposed to mid bass. Pretty ugly drivers mind you :/
But still, they should do the job for you, provided you don't want anything overly loud and low. being 6 1/2" drivers, they would probably be suited towards IB or 25l or so enclosures (whatever a door is) so probably putting them on the parcel shelf (assuming that's where you were going to put them), mounting them well, and making sure it's all solid, should get you some decent sound out of them. :)

Hope that helps in any way.

Azz86
15-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Not enough cone area to get loud and low, if that's what you want... but if you just want it for rear sub-bass fill, it should suffice, provided you aren't playing anything lower than 25~hz... which mind you is pretty low anyway.

They should do for the job. They are designed for (or I am assuming they are) sub bass, as apposed to mid bass. Pretty ugly drivers mind you :/
But still, they should do the job for you, provided you don't want anything overly loud and low. being 6 1/2" drivers, they would probably be suited towards IB or 25l or so enclosures (whatever a door is) so probably putting them on the parcel shelf (assuming that's where you were going to put them), mounting them well, and making sure it's all solid, should get you some decent sound out of them. :)

Hope that helps in any way.

Thanks for your help. I think I have been talked out of them though. These compact subs are looking the part. Still thinking about it.

The plan was to install them inside the proper rear speaker holes. These are located either side of the rear seat in the civic. Good location but I was worried about vibration. They mount directly onto the body of the car. Probably be alright if mounted properly. I'm not a big fan of parcel shelf mounting. Though it is a simple solution that can get you some pretty good bass.

NightKids
16-04-2012, 12:44 AM
The spot that you were thinking of mounting in the Civic will cause a lot of vibrations. Slimline subs are probably the way to go. They don't take up that much room at all.

XB-16-AX
16-04-2012, 12:48 AM
As someone mentioned

The fusion active sub is perfect for space savers.

Plenty of bass and no need for seperate amps.

Can fit under seats or anywhere for your liking.

Fusion makes them dunno bout others.

Azz86
16-04-2012, 06:04 AM
The spot that you were thinking of mounting in the Civic will cause a lot of vibrations. Slimline subs are probably the way to go. They don't take up that much room at all.

You've tried this location?

That's what I was thinking. Alright for regular speakers but a sub would just have more power. Not sure I'm keen to put them in then realise they're not suitable.

Azz86
16-04-2012, 06:05 AM
As someone mentioned

The fusion active sub is perfect for space savers.

Plenty of bass and no need for seperate amps.

Can fit under seats or anywhere for your liking.

Fusion makes them dunno bout others.

Have you tried the fusion model?

I've been looking at alpines which I'm keen on but they are real pricey in comparison to other brands. Pioneer and kicker look alright too. Not sure how to make a choice between them lol.

XB-16-AX
16-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Have you tried the fusion model?

I've been looking at alpines which I'm keen on but they are real pricey in comparison to other brands. Pioneer and kicker look alright too. Not sure how to make a choice between them lol.

yes i have - i borrowed a mates fusion active sub and worked like a treat.

but i like my bass loud and low 10-15hz - so ive got the top end fusion DVC running @ 1ohms 2500rms in my daily.

androo
16-04-2012, 08:52 AM
You've tried this location?

That's what I was thinking. Alright for regular speakers but a sub would just have more power. Not sure I'm keen to put them in then realise they're not suitable.

I've had speakers in that location and once amped, when the bass hit it would vibrate. Try as I might I couldn't find any of the rattles. Maybe if you find them and deaden them it should be OK. But I would go with NightKids and not mount them there...

Drifter995
16-04-2012, 03:16 PM
bit of dynamat would stop the rattles, probably.

Also, I don't like the fusion brand... but if you wanted something for under seats, focal makes under seat subs, and they are meant to be pretty great for small subs...
but yes... rear doors are doors... I don't see why they would be any different to front doors... bar a little less deadening... I imagine they'd work quite well, and if you wanted them to sound even better, cover up any service holes with mdf, dynamat the hell outta the door... should give you some nice bass... assuming it requires the same amount of space and stuff as a normal 6inch speaker...

But if you wanted the underseat option, those focals come in two different sizes, and are quite good (from what I've heard) so might wanna check them out, too.

Azz86
16-04-2012, 06:41 PM
yes i have - i borrowed a mates fusion active sub and worked like a treat.

but i like my bass loud and low 10-15hz - so ive got the top end fusion DVC running @ 1ohms 2500rms in my daily.

Nice. Glad to hear from someone who has used them. I'm not that keen on having a big system. Just something that will get the job done where this should be perfect. Sounds like you have a pretty intense system.

I've had speakers in that location and once amped, when the bass hit it would vibrate. Try as I might I couldn't find any of the rattles. Maybe if you find them and deaden them it should be OK. But I would go with NightKids and not mount them there...

bit of dynamat would stop the rattles, probably.

Also, I don't like the fusion brand... but if you wanted something for under seats, focal makes under seat subs, and they are meant to be pretty great for small subs...
but yes... rear doors are doors... I don't see why they would be any different to front doors... bar a little less deadening... I imagine they'd work quite well, and if you wanted them to sound even better, cover up any service holes with mdf, dynamat the hell outta the door... should give you some nice bass... assuming it requires the same amount of space and stuff as a normal 6inch speaker...

But if you wanted the underseat option, those focals come in two different sizes, and are quite good (from what I've heard) so might wanna check them out, too.

Probably should of clarified. 2 door car so no door mounts, no lock mechanism, no window mechanisms so should be a little better than an actual door mount. Probably still not ideal though.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s514/Azzle_01/photo.jpg

Drifter995
16-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Ah, well that's a bit different then... Dunno... never used a spot like that before, I've only ever had 4doors.

NightKids
16-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I upgraded the rear fill and amped it, put the bass up a bit and it was already vibrating and rattling. Couldn't imagine a 6 inch woofer in there!

Azz86
16-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I upgraded the rear fill and amped it, put the bass up a bit and it was already vibrating and rattling. Couldn't imagine a 6 inch woofer in there!

Oh really? I guess an EG would be pretty much the same as an EP. Think I've officially been convinced into getting a compact sub.

Thanks guys. Awesome.

NightKids
18-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Excellent! Let us know how it goes!

Azz86
21-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Will do mate. Probably troll eBay for a while lol