PDA

View Full Version : How many litres to paint civic EK and where to buy?

dOOb
17-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi guys and gals

Did a quick search but nothing exactly am looking for came up. I am looking to paint my EK hatch and wanted to know how many litres of prima/paint and clear do I need approximately for this car. Only going to paint outside, staying with the original white.

While I am at it, if anyone knows of where I could buy reasonable to cheap paint around western area that would also be most appreciated.

Thanks

EKVTIR-T
17-04-2012, 11:47 PM
PM Chauster or me might reply at some stage anyway

He recently painted his EK

XB-16-AX
17-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Just to be safe you will need;

Approx:
4.5ltrs of prime,
4ltrs of full coat paint
2-3ltrs of hardnener
3ltrs of clear coat

These figures were based on spraying a EG sedan with full bodykit. Only clear was sanded back and only sprayed outside of the car.

All depends on how many layers of primer, paint, clear u wish to spray on will depend on how many ltrs u will need.

EKVTIR-T
18-04-2012, 12:00 AM
He has a hatch

XB-16-AX
18-04-2012, 01:21 AM
He has a hatch

Yes im aware of that bra...

Hence why i said its an example.

ericl33
18-04-2012, 05:16 AM
Yes im aware of that bra...

Hence why i said its an example.
why isn't emnesty posting much these days?

XB-16-AX
18-04-2012, 06:36 AM
why isn't emnesty posting much these days?

Dunno bra..

Why dont u PM him or her and enquire within...

U need to post more informative posts mun so i can +rep ya.

chauster
18-04-2012, 08:04 AM
I heard my name.

Depends on what kind of job you want. If its white already you could just flow through a coat of white and clear it. Or you can go full job which could make the car look better which is prime whole car and then colour and clear. Which uses alot more paint.

Also if you want budget then ask the shops for direct gloss which you don't need clear for. It's colour and when it dries it comes shiny.

If you wanna full prime with full intensive damage on your car;
Roughly get a full 4-5lt primer kit, inc primer and harder
3lt base coat colour
And a clear kit 3lt, inc clear and harder

If you wanna get direct gloss you just need about 3lt of that and you're goo to go.

If you wanna just flow through fresh paint on it get 1.5lt of base coat colour and a full clear kit.

Any questions just ask.

For my ek I just flowed mine through. I bought paint for $100/lt and bought a premium clear kit set me back $350. I'm in the trade though so don't be expecting those prices. I dunno any western areas selling I know eastern subs but just buzz I you got more questions

chauster
18-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Don't forget to pull out all your dints first as it will make your paint job shit. Good luck

dOOb
18-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the a thorough replies guys, and thats the first I heard of direct gloss, curious to see what the result are. The car has got a few scratches so I might have to double check how deep the scratches are and go from there. I am hoping the body isn't too bad, that way it will save me time and money otherwise I am gona have to put in my annual form.

Cheers

As for the paint, I remember I bought some paint years ago for another car in carramar next to Tempe tyres on the horsley drive. I just thought if someone knows of any other places other then them.

zhong
18-04-2012, 05:04 PM
There are a few types of paint methods you can use:

- Acrylic (Safest for home use, not illegal and is cheaper) - Need primer, colour, clear, thinner.
- 2 Pack (Bad for your lungs, illegal to use without proper equipment, costs add up) - Need primer, primer hardener, colour, clear, clear hardener, 2 pack thinner.
- 2 K (Bad for your lungs, illegal to use without proper equipment, not as much as 2 pack) - Need primer, primer hardener, colour/clear in one, 2 pack thinner. This method is only available for SOLID colours.

In my experience, I have used about 2.5L of paint whether it be base colour/clear to paint an entire hatch with 3-4 coats of each - this included all the jambs and trims as well. So it really depends on the colour your changing to (in this case your not) that determines how much paint is required etc. 2L should be plenty for you IMO. If you just want a fresh coat of paint, as chauster suggested, you don't need to re-primer but just to sand off majority of the clear coat - leaving a dull finish then apply the fresh coats accordingly. This will save alot more paint doing it this method, just ensure that you use ATLEAST of up to 1200gr for the final sanding to have smooth finish - that's if you're going to DIY!

Whatever it is, take your time and use the right equipment!

Goodluck!

chauster
18-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Please don't use acrylic. It's old and no one uses it anymore. If you're going white, I'm assuming taffea white or csw direct gloss is best. It's easy to paint an saves out on clear. Best way is to hire out a spray booth and paint it. Else you'll get dirt and grim on your work. I remember doing a home job in y backyard and I was almost finished clearing when it started to rain..... It ended up ****ed.

I usually paint my cars if just flowin through, 1 medium coat base > 1 control/dust coat then hit it with 2 coats of clear.
If you're going dg then hit it with 1 coat of medium and then hammer the 2nd coat on. If the finish is good then leave it. If you dont like the peel then hit it once more.

chauster
18-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Which ever way you take to spray please wear protective gear. That shit really ****s up your lungs.

chauster
18-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh yeah if you end up primin the whole car.... I wish you luck sanding it!

chauster
18-04-2012, 05:39 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/ca7c58a7-6fc0-d535.jpg
Here's something I did today

zhong
18-04-2012, 05:59 PM
^^^ Nice! What tip did you use for the clear?

But yeah, acrylic is really old type of paint - but atleast if you're not using proper saftey equipment etc you won't die of cancer. You can get the same finish with acrylic - but you need to buff it when it's cured etc.

Something I did in the garage recently! C/O/B. Frost White.

http://www.zcd.com.au/eg/dc2jdm.jpg

Peace.

chauster
18-04-2012, 06:07 PM
1.4 iwata w400. Acrylic doesn't last long too. I strongly advise not to use it.

You did a cob at home?!? Iu have compressor? Props to you. I wouldn't have the balls to do it

XB-16-AX
18-04-2012, 09:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/ca7c58a7-6fc0-d535.jpg
Here's something I did today

Thats a nice metallic paint job bra..

Curious to knw is it still ok to mix the clear coat with a pearl clear/paint effect?

Or would you spray the pearl effect then the clear final?

chauster
18-04-2012, 10:07 PM
its candy apple red.

to answer your question, you put your base colour down then pearl coat then clear.

XB-16-AX
18-04-2012, 10:18 PM
its candy apple red.

to answer your question, you put your base colour down then pearl coat then clear.

Gotcha,

Thanks bud.

Been always curious to knw how the pearl effect is sprayed.

zhong
18-04-2012, 11:20 PM
1.4 iwata w400. Acrylic doesn't last long too. I strongly advise not to use it.

You did a cob at home?!? Iu have compressor? Props to you. I wouldn't have the balls to do it

Yeh I did it at home with compressor and face mask etc. Dust is your enemy!

NeedVtec
18-04-2012, 11:45 PM
pm Cb.Paint&Panel

dOOb
19-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Why does everyone keep repeating to wear safety equipment, how bad is that shit? i did a paint job before with just a dust mask, the cheapy white ones, i dont do it often so should be okay ;-) Thats a nice candy red chauster, and from the sound of things, you sound like a perfectionist, thanks for the advice.
zhong, thats not a backyard job, does it have any dried strain of grass behind the clear coat, if not then from the photo it looks too good to be a backyard job. i'll keep that 1200gr in mind. cheers

ericl33
19-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Why does everyone keep repeating to wear safety equipment, how bad is that shit? i did a paint job before with just a dust mask, the cheapy white ones, i dont do it often so should be okay ;-) Thats a nice candy red chauster, and from the sound of things, you sound like a perfectionist, thanks for the advice.
zhong, thats not a backyard job, does it have any dried strain of grass behind the clear coat, if not then from the photo it looks too good to be a backyard job. i'll keep that 1200gr in mind. cheers
cancer imminent

jdmek
19-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Just hire spray booth bro get a better job and u will not get fine white take around 2.5ltr but just buy 3ltr search R&D from revesby and get 2ltr of hardener

usaco
22-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I bought paint from a place in chipping norton years ago... they might still be around. give em a buzz - ColorsRUs 7/15 childs rd, chipping norton.. tel 9724 0655 /0410 256 195.

dOOb
22-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks usaco, i'll give them a call tomorrow, doesnt hurt to call around t see whats on offer...cheers

kj9438
22-04-2012, 10:21 PM
hi u can get it from VG paint . search on Google .

usaco
23-04-2012, 12:13 AM
No probs dude... Let us know if they are cheap or not.

PGB
25-04-2012, 08:30 PM
4-5 litres of primer :confused: 12 coats on each panel? lol

chauster
25-04-2012, 11:25 PM
4-5 litres of primer :confused: 12 coats on each panel? lol

3 coats of primer, 3 coat of base, 2 coat of clear.

PGB
26-04-2012, 12:11 AM
I know man, Just saying you'd be hard pressed to use 2.5L on a hatch bud. Not that it would hurt buying a 4L kit anyway.
On my Sedan I did 3 load coats and 2 reduced coats to make it easier to rub and plenty at about 3.5L.

I'd just like to add aim for a good mid-range clear. Don't buy cheapest alternative.Bargain on the paint also. You should be able to drop it 15%-20% for cash. I saved $100 on mine which helps a bit I guess.

chauster
27-04-2012, 06:22 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/ca7c59e4-5716-d74e.jpgJust did a repaint on an Evo in direct gloss. Only used 1.5lt of paint. exclude boot though

zhong
27-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Good job chauster, do you paint by trade or paint for cash? Lol an I'm assuming the Evo was already white right? 1.5L is bargain!

chauster
27-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Yeah it was already white. I'm painter by trade. I don't really do cash unless I need to. Cbfed. Work 9-5 then go home and do more work? Get fkt

zhong
27-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Good s hit!

How long did it take you to mask? I like how you used drip sheets for everything - I never thought of it that way. If you over spray on glass what do you use to remove it? Kerosene?

Sorry OP for changing topic, but yes 1.5L of straight clear is good for a car like the evo! :P

Peace.

chauster
27-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Scratch it off with a blade yo! If dried wax and grease won't get rid of it.