PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic Sport 2012 - More power

vtegra
19-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi guys,
Got the new honda civic sport 2012 for the mrs.
But when I drive it, I want more power on it.

Any ideas on how to get more power and costs?

I was thinking of a small tune up would be a start.

Also what do you reckon of putting in a pod filter system in it as well?

bennjamin
19-04-2012, 07:59 PM
hi dude. Before anyone else asks/tells you -

There is no way of considerably "more power" than your car has.

dont listen to anyone telling you a header , intake etc will make your car faster. It wont. It will give it more noise thats it.

What do you want more power for ? fun driving ? More torque (pull) ?

Can i suggest , that realistically you have the wrong car for more "power". If you want a noteable increase in performance you will need to either engine swap for k24/k20 motor and associated parts , turbo or super charge and tune. All are probably $5000-8000 done properly and professionally. (vauge idea)

vtegra
19-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Valid points.
Its the mrs car, but when i drive it on weekends i would like it to have more power for when i drive it.
More torque, more kw.

I wouldnt mind putting on a pod filter kit as well so when it hit vtecs that I can actually hear it,

Im not going to swap the engine, just would like to work with what its got at the moment.

even to get it to 148kw would be nice too.

bennjamin
19-04-2012, 08:26 PM
hey

Well if its the ladys car Id get an intake (such as injen) to give it a nicer noise - and look at maybe a basic exhaust system to free it up abit more. Look at a header plus high flow cat but keep your standard muffler.

After a few full tanks of fuel , your ECU will adjust and give a touch more "pull". Nothing amazing but it will give abit more fun.

Can i suggest a larger rear swaybar too for handling sakes

vtegra
19-04-2012, 08:31 PM
What would the costs involve and increase kw roughly be?

injen intake
exhaust system (i would like a nice deep sound, any examples on youtube for deep sounds out there that I could achieve?)
header and high flow cat

and whats the best place in melbourne to get a really good tune? I heard that a good tune up could increase the KW a fair bit

Evok
19-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Intake & Exhaust system 10kw - 15 kw average ( depends on type etc )

Yes a tune can improve your mods so you can get the best out of them...but big money & your fuel economy will go down slightly... Mrs complaining about petrol? you don't want that cause you'll be paying for it!

Fredoops
19-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Intake & Exhaust system 10kw - 15 kw average ( depends on type etc )

Yes a tune can improve your mods so you can get the best out of them...but big money & your fuel economy will go down slightly... Mrs complaining about petrol? you don't want that cause you'll be paying for it!

It's a SOHC R-series not the DOHC K-series... I doubt IHE even makes that much of a difference.

And there's fk all aftermarket support for it.

EKVTIR-T
19-04-2012, 09:13 PM
What gain would he get if he installs voltage stabilizer and groundwire kit? Surely a little extra gain

Fredoops
19-04-2012, 09:19 PM
What gain would he get if he installs voltage stabilizer and groundwire kit? Surely a little extra gain
1hp at most, remember this is a new car, the gounds would still be at new condition.

T1R on their demo RSX with full T1R ground kit and Volt stablizer only made 2-3 hp.... and thats on an RSX

Valid points.
Its the mrs car, but when i drive it on weekends i would like it to have more power for when i drive it.
More torque, more kw.

I wouldnt mind putting on a pod filter kit as well so when it hit vtecs that I can actually hear it,

Im not going to swap the engine, just would like to work with what its got at the moment.

even to get it to 148kw would be nice too.

You are not going to get that number on the R20 keeping with bolt on's. You'll need a turbo or supercharger, or open up the engine and get stupid (or rather, not get stupid cause theres fk all parts out there for R's)

aaronng
19-04-2012, 09:19 PM

He'll get the placebo effect.

Fredoops
19-04-2012, 09:23 PM
He'll get the placebo effect.
... or till his car gets old enough that the grounds deteriorate.

xenonkuraz
19-04-2012, 09:40 PM
1hp at most, remember this is a new car, the gounds would still be at new condition.

T1R on their demo RSX with full T1R ground kit and Volt stablizer only made 2-3 hp.... and thats on an RSX

You are not going to get that number on the R20 keeping with bolt on's. You'll need a turbo or supercharger, or open up the engine and get stupid (or rather, not get stupid cause theres fk all parts out there for R's)

Adding a pod filter will NOT allow you to hear VTEC any louder...

as there is no VTEC crossover to hear.

Basic mods such as intake, exhaust, headers etc combined with a tune will net you roughly 20kw on stock

Glocker
19-04-2012, 09:48 PM
It's way too new. Wait for Japanese tuning companies to release something.

EKVTIR-T
19-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Or Skunk2

curtis265
19-04-2012, 10:17 PM
mmmmaaaaaaaaattttteeeee

the r20 will not gain much from basic bolt ons - an IHE/hiflowcat will probably get you 10kw at the most - definitely noticeable but you'd spend a lot doing that. it's nto thte kind of engine which is designed to be modded and be fullysick. That said you can make it sound wicket with a nice intake

The r20 has a really nice torque curve (really good midrange), i suggest you appreciate that and understand what the car's about rather than make it fast as such

they say you can hear a slight vtec crossover but i certainly can't.. The intake is held open for longer only when cruising to allow some of the fuel in the combustion chamber to go back into the head/mani, decreasing fuel use

CrystalSkull
19-04-2012, 10:57 PM
The r20 has a really nice torque curve (really good midrange), i suggest you appreciate that and understand what the car's about rather than make it fast as such

they say you can hear a slight vtec crossover but i certainly can't.. The intake is held open for longer only when cruising to allow some of the fuel in the combustion chamber to go back into the head/mani, decreasing fuel use

This is so very much the case, these engines have a very good midrange and excellent economy, I appreciate this and enjoy it for what it is; R series zen :)

Fredoops
19-04-2012, 11:07 PM
It's way too new. Wait for Japanese tuning companies to release something.

2 problems

1. Civics aren't sold in Japan
2. USDM civics use k20, not r20 (or k24 for the civic SI), the only r-series used in USDM civic is a high fuel efficiency (think Eco model) R18...

R20 are used primarily in south east Asian countries.

Highly doubt much will be developed for the R20.

vtegra
19-04-2012, 11:08 PM

what does this do?

curtis265
19-04-2012, 11:09 PM
lol reduces voltage fluctuations. some people swear it produces gains

curtis265
19-04-2012, 11:09 PM
2 problems

1. Civics aren't sold in Japan
2. USDM civics use k20, not r20 (or k24 for the civic SI), the only r-series used in USDM civic is a high fuel efficiency (think Eco model) R18...

R20 are used primarily in south east Asian countries.

Highly doubt much will be developed for the R20.

inb4 r15b

vtegra
19-04-2012, 11:10 PM
What could a supercharger cost and how much kw you think? The mrs doesnt mind if I do this, anyway all feedback is appreciated.

curtis265
19-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I think a supercharger will cost something like 10k i'd imagine. (on the higher side of things).

But you'll need to wait for oen to be developed.

and it won't be half as reliable as what it once was

vtegra
19-04-2012, 11:12 PM
So putting an intake system would not make the vtec noticeable?

curtis265
19-04-2012, 11:13 PM
have a read of this

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

it's not your traditional sohc engine..

and it's definitely not your traditional b/h/f/d15b series engine

vtegra
19-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I think a supercharger will cost something like 10k i'd imagine. (on the higher side of things).

But you'll need to wait for oen to be developed.

and it won't be half as reliable as what it once was

have you done a supercharge before? $10k is alot aND I would hope that a massive gain would be produced. How much gain with that?

Fredoops
19-04-2012, 11:23 PM
have you done a supercharge before? $10k is alot aND I would hope that a massive gain would be produced. How much gain with that?

You are missing the point, what you are trying to do here is the equivalent of trying to supercharge a Toyota Prius, it's a losin battle no matter what you do. It's not meant to be a fast car, R-series is not meant to be a growling Monster that was H and K series.

This post from Honda 8th gen forum (US) sums it up nicely:

You'd be better off selling the car and buying another one. I don't understand why someone with such a lust for power didn't get the Si to begin with? Swapping a K20, then turbo charging it will probably put you into the 26 grand range. You'd be better off buying a used FI car.

vtegra
19-04-2012, 11:27 PM
lol, i understand. Im not trying to make it a 300kw car like HSV

I just wanted a bit more grunt with the vtec noticeable.

So my thoughts were to give it a tune and intake system and maybe an exhaust with a deep sound if possible but if not just the intake system

so how much for an intake system and a tune is what I think im looking for now. How much $$ and how much kw is possible with this?

You are missing the point, what you are trying to do here is the equivalent of trying to supercharge a Toyota Prius, it's a losin battle no matter what you do. It's not meant to be a fast car, R-series is not meant to be a growling Monster that was H and K series.

This post from Honda 8th gen forum (US) sums it up nicely:

Fredoops
19-04-2012, 11:43 PM
There's only 1 mob I'm aware of that tunes the R20 (EUDM).

They are in Greece iirc..... 20hp gain was why they claims

Even with all the usual bolton mods and tune I recken you'll be lucky to hit 125kw at the crank.

Considering the lack of aftermarket support, a lot of the parts would need to be custom fabricated.
... You'll probably be looking at blowing 3grand for 15kw...

Here's some interesting info for lols:

To briefly recap, in terms of the camshaft/valve-train, this implementation is basically that used in the 'power' SOHC-VTEC implementation of the old D-Series, e.g. the 130ps SOHC VTEC D15B used on the EG and EK Civics. However, Honda R&D engineers brings a new twist to this implementation. In the old D-Series implementation, a middle cam-lobe works on the intake valves and offers higher valve lift and longer opening duration, to generate more power at high rpms. In the R-Series i-VTEC implementation, the middle cam lobe is again bigger than the standard cam-lobes. However it is now an 'economy cam' lobe instead. In an unusual reversal of roles, by making the intake valve opening duration extremely long, the lobe holds the intake cam open way into the piston up-stroke portion of the cycle. In operation, this will expel a portion of the air-fuel mixture back into the intake manifold. It's like overfilling a bucket with water and then pouring away the excess fluid in order to get just the amount we want.

With this technique, the desired amount of air-fuel mixture is obtained in the combustion chambers without the need for an almost closed throttle butterfly. In fact, the throttle body butterfly can be kept fully opened and is effectively dispensed with, in the SOHC i-VTEC economy mode. This reduces pumping losses significantly and improves engine efficiency and thus fuel economy.

So somehow Honda managed to make the R-series a less performance oriented, More economical D-series!

Who who has the "d15b you wouldn't understand" needs a new motto:
"R20A you wouldnt understand...." cause hell, at least the D has a more performance oriented cam... R o f l

vtegra
19-04-2012, 11:48 PM
ok, do you know if an intake system will make a nice sound at high revs?

vtegra
19-04-2012, 11:58 PM
These guys are saying at least 15kw with exhaust and intake system
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/28713-camshaft-r18a-engine-2.html

and much more if With a camshaft+racing catalysator and stuff about piggy back to get 7400rpm

interesting, I wonder if any good honda mechanics out there in melbourne can do something for me.

Fredoops
19-04-2012, 11:59 PM
ok, do you know if an intake system will make a nice sound at high revs?
Don't think anyone makes those yet, maybe check if a CAI for R18A (FD civic) would fit in the R20A.

These guys are saying at least 15kw with exhaust and intake system
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/28713-camshaft-r18a-engine-2.html

and much more if With a camshaft+racing catalysator and stuff about piggy back to get 7400rpm

interesting, I wonder if any good honda mechanics out there in melbourne can do something for me.
R20 is already an improved version of the R18, so you need to cancel that out.

vtegra
20-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Il check it out, and come to think of it, By putting an intake system... Will it damage the new engine? or should I wait until I hit 2-5000ks?

Fredoops
20-04-2012, 12:11 AM
If you read on you'd find those people gave up and installed a turbocharger instead....

vtegra
20-04-2012, 12:16 AM
LOL very last post. Yeh a turbo would be mad to do.
I know modproject are very good, il speak to them and see what they can do.

If you read on you'd find those people gave up and installed a turbocharger instead....

curtis265
20-04-2012, 10:54 AM
have a read how the R series vtec works seriously, you will not ever hear a cam change because vtec 'high cam' doesn't ever engage unless your cruising.

I think it's important that you understand these things first before trying and then getting upset over why it's not working

Il check it out, and come to think of it, By putting an intake system... Will it damage the new engine? or should I wait until I hit 2-5000ks?

i doubt it, but it's probably a good idea to let the engine break in first anyway for good measure. And i think it'll sound great as an intake always does

vtegra
20-04-2012, 05:23 PM
So If I were to put an intake system I wouldnt hear the difference when hitting vtec?

have a read how the R series vtec works seriously, you will not ever hear a cam change because vtec 'high cam' doesn't ever engage unless your cruising.

I think it's important that you understand these things first before trying and then getting upset over why it's not working

i doubt it, but it's probably a good idea to let the engine break in first anyway for good measure. And i think it'll sound great as an intake always does

CrystalSkull
20-04-2012, 05:43 PM
If you want to 'vtec' in this car, drive to 90km/h - 110km/h then hit the cruise-control button.

curtis265
20-04-2012, 05:51 PM
^ya that

So If I were to put an intake system I wouldnt hear the difference when hitting vtec?

so vtec only comes on when you have light pedal input, which is when the car's making no noise at all.

there is no 'vtec yo' as such to hit

vtegra
20-04-2012, 05:51 PM
why are there ppl like you? If you want to vtec drive 90km,...... Seriously....

All I wanted to know what peoples thoughts ON what do you think of how much it would cost and how much power I would get out, if I was to put intake system, tune it.

some have given ideas on turbo/ super charge etc which is good. But I dont need stupid comments like urs and anyone else that decides to after this just to be a smart ass.

curtis265
20-04-2012, 06:01 PM
are you talking to me?

how is that being a smartass?

volunteering my time trying to help you understand how it works and why nothing you can do will ever make a vtec yo sound, because you don't seem to have any understanding of how the R series works

vtegra
20-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Fair enough, you could of just said it the vtec in R series dont work how the other series engines out there.

It is a shame that such a nice car, that I cant make the vtec noticeable when giving it when I want to, to wet my appetite ;)

curtis265
20-04-2012, 06:08 PM
unfortunately yes everything's headed the whitegoods direction :(

EG52NV
20-04-2012, 06:10 PM
If you want to 'vtec' in this car, drive to 90km/h - 110km/h then hit the cruise-control button.

Not sure if SRS but I think he's trying to say if you want to stay on VTEC do this?

CrystalSkull
20-04-2012, 06:44 PM
why are there ppl like you? If you want to vtec drive 90km,...... Seriously....

All I wanted to know what peoples thoughts ON what do you think of how much it would cost and how much power I would get out, if I was to put intake system, tune it.

some have given ideas on turbo/ super charge etc which is good. But I dont need stupid comments like urs and anyone else that decides to after this just to be a smart ass.

Please read this, it will help you VTEC. Yours truly Smart ass.

have a read of this

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

it's not your traditional sohc engine..

and it's definitely not your traditional b/h/f/d15b series engine

CrystalSkull
20-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Not sure if SRS but I think he's trying to say if you want to stay on VTEC do this?

Yes, totally SRS iVTEC for 30 minutes twice daily. Cheers!

vtegra
20-04-2012, 07:43 PM
So if an intake system on the sport was put on. Would it sound like these two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDsXsH1XM4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtZonac_oAI

I would love it, if it could sound like this, but different engine the Si isnt it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_N8lnoVKE

Even for a bit of fun at the lights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAxerXWpuV4&feature=related

Fredoops
20-04-2012, 08:10 PM

That how the R-series works, ther is no hi-cam of the traditional sense.

There's Eco cam - urban and extra Eco cam-highway.

Setting the car on highway will engage the eco cam-highway as opposed to Eco cam-urban

CrystalSkull
20-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Thread haiku:

Clarkson wannabe
Wrong vtec fuel eco
Thinks smart Obamas

vtegra
20-04-2012, 10:11 PM
What do you think of this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?161659-Which-CAI-for-my-07-civic-sport

the last post that has a youtube clip. With a simota intake for the 2.0 , 2007 civic.. That sounds pretty nice, Anyone know how much these are and if there any good.

curtis265
20-04-2012, 10:39 PM
i think it'd be pretty decent, but that's a k20 not a r20. I think R18 intakes may fit

vtegra
20-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Really, So the 07 civics are K20?
It would have a pretty close sound yeh?

If I can get that and a Tune to gain maybe 15-25 KW i think it would be pretty cool

i think it'd be pretty decent, but that's a k20 not a r20. I think R18 intakes may fit

Fredoops
21-04-2012, 12:14 AM

If I can get that and a Tune to gain maybe 15-25 KW i think it would be pretty cool

Not exactly....

the 8th gen civic (previous gen) had K20 for the civic SPORTS, the rest of the range got R18a. it sound NOTHING like a K-series (DOHC vs SOHC)

I still doubt you could get another 25kw out of that R20 in there.

EG52NV
21-04-2012, 12:18 AM

Do you ****en know anything?! A K20 2007 civic sport is essentially a detuned civic type r engine your R20 is nothing like it!!!

EG52NV
21-04-2012, 12:21 AM
It's like comparing a jazz to a NSX and saying well they're both built by Honda how do I make my jazz sound like an NSX

EKVTIR-T
21-04-2012, 12:24 AM
It's like comparing a jazz to a NSX and saying well they're both built by Honda how do I make my jazz sound like an NSX

No,not really. His comparison are both inline 4,your example is a v6 and inline 4

EG52NV
21-04-2012, 12:31 AM
No,not really. His comparison are both inline 4,your example is a v6 and inline 4

No not really his comparison was more that both civics have a 2L engine therefore they must make the same noise with an aftermarket intake... I was simply giving an exaggerated example of another ridiculous comparison So STFU

RH9
21-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Didn't the K20 in the previous generation Civic Sport use a different DOHC head to a Type R K20?? I assume that would be one reason for the power different between the engines (plus different compression ratios).

Given that the current generation Civic comes with the K24 perhaps people will be doing an engine conversion in future . . . .

evolution
21-04-2012, 09:30 AM
K series i-VTEC engines have eco models and performance models as well. I belive the engine in the 8th Gen sport is the Econ version. Eco versions do not have that VTEC kick.

vtegra
21-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Ok .....

bennjamin
21-04-2012, 01:12 PM
vtegra

Just listen to my initial advice in this thread - put a intake on your car and enjoy a nicer intake noise. There wont be a obvious cross over noise....but it will sound nicer and deeper.

vtegra
21-04-2012, 01:38 PM
yep looks like it... what intake should i go for

vtegra

Just listen to my initial advice in this thread - put a intake on your car and enjoy a nicer intake noise. There wont be a obvious cross over noise....but it will sound nicer and deeper.