PDA

View Full Version : Honda Automatic Transmission Installation

Chapman2233
24-04-2012, 09:54 AM
I have a 1991 Honda Prelude which just had a gearbox rebuild, the mechanic said the car has just gone up on the hoist.

Im just curious as to how long it will take to put the fly wheel and gearbox back in and when it should be ready, and also what other things will he have to do with the car once its in?

Thanks again!

trism
24-04-2012, 10:11 AM
This is a strange question. Why didn't you just ask him how long?

There is lots of things that could effect how long it takes, but if everything goes well, should be done in a few hours.

void-
24-04-2012, 10:47 AM
dafuqq did i just read??

Vvvtec
24-04-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a 1991 Honda Prelude which just had a gearbox rebuild, the mechanic said the car has just gone up on the hoist.

Im just curious as to how long it will take to put the fly wheel and gearbox back in and when it should be ready, and also what other things will he have to do with the car once its in?

Thanks again!

It will take longer than it needs to.

Indie
24-04-2012, 11:28 AM
This is a strange question. Why didn't you just ask him how long?

There is lots of things that could effect how long it takes, but if everything goes well, should be done in a few hours.He obviously wants to know the parts that will be required, and the labour involved, so that he doesn't get ripped off. Why would he ask the mechanic these questions? The mechanic will tell him whatever he likes.

mocchi
24-04-2012, 12:12 PM
He obviously wants to know the parts that will be required, and the labour involved, so that he doesn't get ripped off. Why would he ask the mechanic these questions? The mechanic will tell him whatever he likes.

so what if trism tell op how many hours this work will be?
trism say 1hr, mechanic say 3hrs.
mechanic still wyn cos they aint gonna give car keys back until op pays up.

Chapman2233
24-04-2012, 12:14 PM
He has had it for over a year now.

I wrang yesterday, and the gearbox has been fully rebuilt, he just has to put it in.

Im wondering how long does it take to put a gearbox back in the car?

And what steps will he have to take after since it hasnt been turned on in over a year?

Sorry for the condusion.

Vvvtec
24-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow ok.

Your mechanic should know what steps to take to crank the car after a year in his workshop?

Chapman2233
24-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I was referring to more the fact that since that car hasnt started in a year, will it need all new oils, battery etc.

mocchi
24-04-2012, 12:24 PM
wrang.

why dont you wring your mechanic and ask ?

curtis265
24-04-2012, 12:28 PM
oshit you should have told us that from the stuart!

mass condusion

ECU-MAN
24-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Thanks again!

its a 4 hour job, then allow 1hr for road test top up fluids, check for leaks ect.
however if the trans doesnt run right, back to the drawing board.

there is no reson the car has to have extra precaustions done or things changed because it hasnt been run for 1 year. Turn the key it should fire up.

Indie
24-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, I'd be "wringing" his neck by now.

EKVTIR-T
24-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Quite a few variables to have a clear wright or rong answer.

But agreed,will be fine to start after 1 year,not like its an old bomb. Also I'd be worried if the mechanic needs to ask you about starting precautions