PDA

View Full Version : Gear knob replacement help

Lopsidedtree
26-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Gday guys, little bit new here, looking for some advice re: changing gear knob on my '00 teg.

Stock gear knob screws onto a threaded shaft.

New momo gear knob designed to slide onto a smooth shaft and is then secured by screws...i guess.
Is it possible to get this second type (that just slips onto the shaft) to fit properly onto a threaded shaft?
It comes with a few different caps for the shaft so you can get the gear knob to fit any diameter, can I just put the appropriate one onto the shaft and go from there?? Or will that not work...bit of a noob Q I know...

Planning on changing the shift boot and knob this arvo, shouldn't be to hard, just worried Ill have to try and find a knob that screws on :(

FYI already had a search of the forum and cant find anything that helps, hope I havnt missed a thread...

Any advice is very much appreciated!! :)

Cheers!

sensei_
26-04-2012, 10:09 AM
im not sure how the fit is like, but if you want to use that momo knob, you may have to take a file to the gear lever, and make a flat surface for the lock screw to grip on.

void-
01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mw7cqw.gif

androo
01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I've used these types before. It should come with 2-3 plastic adapters in different sizes. Choose the one that fits the tightest on your gear stick. It may be very snug and require a bit or force, or slightly loose. Keep in mind that if it is really really snug try the next size up or you will may have a bit of trouble getting it off again if you ever decide to (e.g. selling the car or gear knob). You then fit the gear knob over the plastic adapter. There should be 2-4 nuts around the base of the gear knob. Tighten these and you should be sweet.

The plastic adapters are there so you do not have to modify your stock gear stick to fit the gear knob. The plastic adapters are designed to fit the gear knob nicely, requiring only a bit of tightening of the screws to sit securely. They come in a few sizes to fit the most common thread sizes. The plastic adapters are fairly soft and deform well when the screws have been tightened.

Be careful as the threads of the screws can be threaded easily so don't over tighten them. If it's a genuine Momo gear knob you should be fine, however if it's a cheaper gear knob or an imitation, you may find yourself tightening these screws fairly often.

senna
01-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Spend more time looking for a threaded type, the universal one you have there will almost definitely come loose and turn on the stick - i went through a couple of these types (including a genuine momo) and they were all as crap as each other

curtis265
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Gday guys, little bit new here, looking for some advice re: changing gear knob on my '00 teg.

Stock gear knob screws onto a threaded shaft.

New momo gear knob designed to slide onto a smooth shaft and is then secured by screws...i guess.
Is it possible to get this second type (that just slips onto the shaft) to fit properly onto a threaded shaft?
It comes with a few different caps for the shaft so you can get the gear knob to fit any diameter, can I just put the appropriate one onto the shaft and go from there?? Or will that not work...bit of a noob Q I know...

Planning on changing the shift boot and knob this arvo, shouldn't be to hard, just worried Ill have to try and find a knob that screws on :(

FYI already had a search of the forum and cant find anything that helps, hope I havnt missed a thread...

Any advice is very much appreciated!! :)

Cheers!

are we still talking about shift knobs?

if we are, then maybe invest in gluing things down... but i'd follow senna's advice and get a threaded one

androo
02-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Everyone stating that the gear knob will become loose over time, this is not too far from the truth. The only thing I can tell you is the gear knob I've had with these adapters went loose after the first time I took it off. It was secure when I installed it for a good 2-3 months before I decided to change my shift boot. After that it went loose every few days and eventually one day I went to tighten the gear knob again and one of the nuts were gone (it originally had 3). I would suggest you make sure when you decide to install it, make sure you don't have any plans to take it off anytime soon.

I didn't want to glue it down so I put some 3M double-sided tape on the tip of the gear stick before I put the gear knob on. This lasted a few weeks before I replaced the gear knob and binned the old knob. While I don't hate them, I would personally never buy a 'universal' gear knob again.