PDA

View Full Version : Improve ride

czzz
27-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi I have a stock civic and I've notice it drives pretty crap, how can I improve the smoothness of the ride without spending to much money? new shocks and springs?

Thank you

curtis265
27-04-2012, 11:49 AM
you will not get a smoother ride with aftermarket suspension components

czzz
27-04-2012, 11:52 AM
What components will I need to look at? :O

senna
27-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Not necessarily... If the shocks are seizing and they aren't working smoothly a new set will improve the ride.

Something like Koni STR.Ts are good value and they will ride nicely with a sporty feel :thumbsup:

What sort of civic have you got?

curtis265
27-04-2012, 11:55 AM
you could probably replace some of the bushings if the car's old, but that's all you can do.

ride quality is directly propertional the mass of the car, and unfortunately you drive a civic, which isn't really made to be as smooth as a S class/7 series

mocchi
27-04-2012, 11:58 AM
get wider wheels, that would improve the ride too.

czzz
27-04-2012, 11:58 AM
EK sedan, it feels like the shocks or springs need replacing because when i go over humps, reversing out of drive ways etc its not as comfortable as it should be. and it handles bad too.

Havocwreaker
27-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Smaller wheels with higher profile tyres are a pretty cheap way of doing it.
You could also do softer springs with stronger dampers than you have now, but that can be pricier. Don't do anything to the ARBs. You'll just make it more boat-like around corners.

curtis265
27-04-2012, 11:59 AM
handling ability is inversely propertional to comfort

czzz
27-04-2012, 12:02 PM
if the spending is to much on stocks/wheels/springs i might just buy another car

how much will it all cost?

simmy
27-04-2012, 12:02 PM
get strut bars, cross bars,sway bars, braces, control arms, coilovers fat wheels

to handle better lmzo

senna
27-04-2012, 12:05 PM
if the spending is to much on stocks/wheels/springs i might just buy another car

how much will it all cost?

2 grand or there abouts for decent products - can be done much cheaper but you won't get the result you want...

czzz
27-04-2012, 12:14 PM
2 grand or there abouts for decent products - can be done much cheaper but you won't get the result you want...

thanks senna.. thats a bit to much.

senna
27-04-2012, 12:22 PM
The hardest part about what you are asking is that everyone has a different interpretation of what "crap handling" and "a better ride" is.

For me a better ride is a combo that sorts out bumps quickly and doesn't upset the car. This can be for some people too firm because they want to have no feedback from the road at all. As mentioned, a small honda like the civic won't do this to a certain extent due to it being so light. If you want pillowy smooth ride with no feedback, you would need to buy a Toyota Avalon or a Merc S-Class

curtis265
27-04-2012, 12:25 PM
or a commdore

senna
27-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't say commodore, they are a crashy piece of shi7...lol

butterfingers
27-04-2012, 01:11 PM
coilovers. wont make your ride comfort better but it will look and handle better. which is more important. imo

lol.

Indie
27-04-2012, 01:42 PM
The hardest part about what you are asking is that everyone has a different interpretation of what "crap handling" and "a better ride" is.

For me a better ride is a combo that sorts out bumps quickly and doesn't upset the car. This can be for some people too firm because they want to have no feedback from the road at all. As mentioned, a small honda like the civic won't do this to a certain extent due to it being so light. If you want pillowy smooth ride with no feedback, you would need to buy a Toyota Avalon or a Merc S-ClassHaha. Ha. Haha.

senna
27-04-2012, 01:50 PM
You like that one Indie? My grandparents have an Avalon - its like driving a mattress down the street....

butterfingers
27-04-2012, 02:07 PM
i lol'd when i read toyota.

its good to bring humour into a thread

senna
27-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I think most AUDM Toyota models are the automotive equivalent of Whitegoods (washing machine, fridge etc) - You put them away out of sight, don't brag to your friends about them and only use them for their simple purpose....

ChaosMaster
27-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Tyres are prob the cheapest way to go. Some tyres are designed specifically for low noise and comfort vs other which are designed for max grip or eco (min rolling resistance). Had Michellin Eco tyres that had crap grip, ride and made shit loads of noise. Lasted long though (80k km). Just swapped them over for Kumho KH18, a lot quieter and nicer ride. Not sure about the grip though, but it's not like I'm racing the thing.

New shocks and bushes would help if your car is old and they are worn. Some gas shocks are designed for comfort, or at least are claimed to do so. Shouldn't need new springs though. Could also considering grabbing some extra sound deadening, i.e. Dynamat. Will add weight to the car, but reduce noise and vibrations giving the impression of a more comfortable ride/cruise.

butterfingers
27-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I think most AUDM Toyota models are the automotive equivalent of Whitegoods (washing machine, fridge etc) - You put them away out of sight, don't brag to your friends about them and only use them for their simple purpose....

truth.

not that they are horrible, but its the stigma of being the practical, sensible, hand-me-down sterotype that makes them laughed at by vain young men, like me. ya know like "lol corolla".

kinda like the slightly chubby gf who wears glasses. she maybe heaps of fun, mind-blowing in bed, and make you the most delicious sandwiches and you love her to bits, but you'll always be just a little embarrassed to show off to your friends.

senna
27-04-2012, 04:19 PM
truth.

not that they are horrible, but its the stigma of being the practical, sensible, hand-me-down sterotype that makes them laughed at by vain young men, like me. ya know like "lol corolla".

kinda like the slightly chubby gf who wears glasses. she maybe heaps of fun, mind-blowing in bed, and make you the most delicious sandwiches and you love her to bits, but you'll always be just a little embarrassed to show off to your friends.

OK, now you have to pick your words very carefully here....what do you call slightly chubby? My missus makes awesome sandwiches, great in bed etc etc....lol

butterfingers
27-04-2012, 04:29 PM
chubby = not obese, but not the body of a goddess.

Whitegoods analogy was better for toyotas

my analogy is kinda like the nissan cube

Mikecivic78
27-04-2012, 04:38 PM
how can I improve the smoothness of the ride without spending to much money?

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by 'smoothness'. I think you mean general tightness in the suspension and more precise handling.

How many Km does the car have on it? Sounds like it's time for an overhaul of the suspension (all new bushes, springs/shocks) but it will cost you.

You can do just springs and shocks ( sway bars too, all depends on budget) and it'll be improved, but won't be as tight as a newer car. Bushes are very labour intensive and can be costly parts-wise when you are replacing many at once.

Mikecivic78
27-04-2012, 04:44 PM
truth.

A Corolla would be crap in bed because it's not a sports car. She would be a troll that's bad in bed as well.

Your analogy would be good to describe a WRX. Ugly, but 'heaps of fun and mind blowing etc..'

lol

good infose here guys

ericl33
27-04-2012, 04:48 PM
srs'ly, my life would end without ozhonda.

senna
27-04-2012, 05:00 PM
chubby = not obese, but not the body of a goddess.

Whitegoods analogy was better for toyotas

my analogy is kinda like the nissan cube

I'm only taking the piss mate, lololol

butterfingers
27-04-2012, 05:27 PM
A Corolla would be crap in bed because it's not a sports car. She would be a troll that's bad in bed as well.

Your analogy would be good to describe a WRX. Ugly, but 'heaps of fun and mind blowing etc..'

lol

good infose here guys

now why didnt i think of wrx?

Zilli
27-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Keep it on topic please guys

Indie
27-04-2012, 10:20 PM
You like that one Indie? My grandparents have an Avalon - its like driving a mattress down the street....Haha. Mine had one too. Like, leaf green. Horrible.

I just thought it was funny that you said buy one or the other, like people are cross-shopping the Avalon and S Class.

senna
28-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Haha. Mine had one too. Like, leaf green. Horrible.

I just thought it was funny that you said buy one or the other, like people are cross-shopping the Avalon and S Class.

Lol, I see what you mean

I guess you could say they are both insulated....except the s class is good...

Evok
29-04-2012, 04:02 AM
"Smoothness" and "comfortability"?
Keep your motor healthy, clean it, service it, kiss it good morning and good night, clean your car often and not make it like look likes its from the ghetto or smell like left over raw prawns that has been sitting there for weeks.
That will improve your car overall.
A stock car shouldn't be driving rough unless its been analed

Indie
29-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by 'smoothness'. I think you mean general tightness in the suspension and more precise handling.

How many Km does the car have on it? Sounds like it's time for an overhaul of the suspension (all new bushes, springs/shocks) but it will cost you.

You can do just springs and shocks ( sway bars too, all depends on budget) and it'll be improved, but won't be as tight as a newer car. Bushes are very labour intensive and can be costly parts-wise when you are replacing many at once.Clearly, by smoothness, he means 'not bumpy'. He's not worried about handling, or any performance consideration. He wants airbag-suspension ride comfort, rather than having to feel every bump.

He doesn't want better handling, he wants a better ride.

Mikecivic78
29-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Clearly, by smoothness, he means 'not bumpy'. He's not worried about handling, or any performance consideration. He wants airbag-suspension ride comfort, rather than having to feel every bump.

Who knows what the fark OP wants?

a brand new base model (non-sports) car will have a better ride period. My old man's jazz is 'not bumpy', he's talking about a loose as a goose old car IMO

And airbags? Are we from Compton? I seriously doubt he means that... and due to his lack of posts frankly I don't give a damn anymore

Indie
29-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Who knows what the fark OP wants?

a brand new base model (non-sports) car will have a better ride period. My old man's jazz is 'not bumpy', he's talking about a loose as a goose old car IMO

And airbags? Are we from Compton? I seriously doubt he means that... and due to his lack of posts frankly I don't give a damn anymoreYes, but his car isn't brand new. Maybe he's on blown shocks, or low-profile tyres, and he doesn't realise it.

And I was using air suspension as an example of what he means by 'smooth'. I'm not suggesting he install air suspension on a Civic, but you're suggesting he install sway bars to give him a smoother ride, and I'm pointing out that handling and smoothness are completely different. Usually mutually exclusive, actually.

butterfingers
30-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Clearly, by smoothness, he means 'not bumpy'. He's not worried about handling, or any performance consideration. He wants airbag-suspension ride comfort, rather than having to feel every bump.

I do not understand this "does not want better handling" business? is it a joke?

what is this confort over performance? I cannot comprehend..

Mikecivic78
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
but you're suggesting he install sway bars to give him a smoother ride, and I'm pointing out that handling and smoothness are completely different. Usually mutually exclusive, actually.

that's true - sway bars will not make his ride softer.

Like butterfingers said below, the OPs post is vague and confusing. Added to the fact he hasn't elaborated on anything

I do not understand this "does not want better handling" business? is it a joke?

what is this comfort over performance? I cannot comprehend..

Better for me is a good compromise of performance and handling

trism
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
You can control body roll but keep comfort levels simply by going stiffer sway bars.

curtis265
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
sway bars make it more comfy IMO. it's the springs that upset comfort

roll makes you feel sick

void-
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
in order to make the car comfy to suit your needs, your going to spend coin in order to maintain the comfort that you want.

that means not cheaping out on decent coilover or even spring and shock combo, perfect specs for the tyres, as everyone said sway and strut bars ( they increase the stability of the ride to make the car more comfy for the client i.e yourself).

ExpressCoffee
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, I have tein SS coils in my teg and it's lowered to a decent height. I do notice it's quite bumpy and sometimes going over railroad tracks and steep speed bumps feels like a outback adventure for me. What can I do to make it smoother? I want to maintain the height.

curtis265
01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey guys, I have tein SS coils in my teg and it's lowered to a decent height. I do notice it's quite bumpy and sometimes going over railroad tracks and steep speed bumps feels like a outback adventure for me. What can I do to make it smoother? I want to maintain the height.

Turn the damping damping down. Can't do much about spring rates tho

ExpressCoffee
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Sorry I'm a bit noob with suspension.. Is that hard to do?

Troy
01-05-2012, 12:18 PM
http://www.tein.com/products/super_street.html

Says you should have an instruction manual as part of the kit. It will surely tell you how to do it.

ExpressCoffee
01-05-2012, 12:51 PM
http://www.tein.com/products/super_street.html

Says you should have an instruction manual as part of the kit. It will surely tell you how to do it.l

They came on my war already so I had no instructions with them :(

senna
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Sorry I'm a bit noob with suspension.. Is that hard to do?

On top of your struts there is an adjuster, should look something like this

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOu_TK5fN710fvMrp0yr45JA_bVC8NO a0iAK6yKZROl1gn8nZRIlStyiUZ1A

Take the black rubber sleeve off (if its present) and turn the adjuster anti clockwise for soft, clockwise for hard

ExpressCoffee
01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
It seems quite easy, but will I be turning anti clockwise or clockwise if I wanted a
Smoother ride?

senna
01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
anti clockwise

void-
01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
i would suggest to change the springs to swift springs