PDA

View Full Version : Cost to prep and paint

eLtrix
27-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Hey guys, new here. Just wanted to get a few opinions on the cost of getting some of the parts for my 2001 dc4 integra.

So what i need done is the bonnet, both side fenders and the front bumper.

Ive sanded the bonnet and side fenders for the most part but not the front bumper cause its plastic and my machine doesnt seem to sand too well on it and i dont want to hand sand it.

What do you guys think for an estimate cost on this? I live in in springvale(Melb), so any quotes or names i can go to would be much appreciated.

**Another quick question, the previous owner of this car ripped out the paint code for the car. Its a black + blue specs in it. And apparently its not metallic. Could anyone help me find the paint code for it? I've done some research and what i found is B-92p which is Nighthawk Black Pearl. Could anyone confirm this or lead me in the right way?

Thanks !!

chauster
27-04-2012, 02:58 PM
It's nh592p same as ek black and bb6. It's not as blue as b92p.

When I get jobs in and the owner has "sanded" it for me I ****ing hate it. No offense, but it just makes the job harder as you dunno what your doing. We gotta clean up your mess.

I'd say your job without remove and refit could polish it off for 1k. I'm in Clayton south. Pm me for more details and I'll get a quote from the boss for you.

eLtrix
27-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I sanded it at 200 grit to 400 grit and so force to 1000. So how i was told to do it. mmm 1k for the four pieces huh, what about just the front bumper?

And how sure are you about that paint code? Cause like i said, my car doesnt have the paint code. and id hate to have two different blacks. Thats the Flameco Black Pearl right? I had that listed down as a possibility also. AND if you were to do the job, how long does it roughly take?

chauster
27-04-2012, 03:08 PM
100% sure buddy. Unless someone changed it to b92p before. Bar is $350 dependent on damage. $1000 for respray front end is a decent price.

chauster
27-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I sanded it at 200 grit to 400 grit and so force to 1000. So how i was told to do it. mmm 1k for the four pieces huh, what about just the front bumper?

And how sure are you about that paint code? Cause like i said, my car doesnt have the paint code. and id hate to have two different blacks. Thats the Flameco Black Pearl right? I had that listed down as a possibility also. AND if you were to do the job, how long does it roughly take?

4-5 days. Btw if you sanded your whole bonnet and guard with 200 then you've ****ed it already. =] can't blend in the colour now. You'll have edge to edge paint which means miss matching paint.

eLtrix
27-04-2012, 03:19 PM
4-5 days. Btw if you sanded your whole bonnet and guard with 200 then you've ****ed it already. =] can't blend in the colour now. You'll have edge to edge paint which means miss matching paint.

real terror auto barn is

**edit. would it make a difference if i had used 180 grit? or even worst. LOL

trism
27-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I'd assume worse cause you've taken more paint off.

eLtrix
27-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I think thats what we were trying to achieve because, the car had hail damage. So i went to auto barn to get some bog/filler. I got it, and was basically told id have to sand the bonnet back down then bog it, and then repaint it. With 180grit that is, and up and up all the way to 1000. When i sanded it, im basically near all the way back to bare metal.. Good/Bad? I dunno, my friend says its good. ==" Conflict

_CRX_
27-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Auto barn aren't a body shop ......if you had taken the car to a spray shop from the start it would have cost you $1000 to $1200...by the sound of things you have made matters worse....usually with this type of job..bonnet, bumper a guards would be sprayed and the doors would be blended in...

eLtrix
27-04-2012, 04:00 PM
good to know i made my life worst :(

trism
27-04-2012, 04:01 PM
this is why you don't take body work advice from auto barn.

Just because they sell the stuff to do it doesn't mean they know how to do it.

I mean, you don't go into Woolworth's and ask how to make bread, just because they sell flour.

eLtrix
27-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Alright so best option now for me is to simply take it to a shop and get it quoted and solved. Do you guys know of any contacts or places i can go do relative to where i live? Besides the one is clayton chauster mentioned.

Cr0wbar
27-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I've been to Son Tran Panel Beating on the corner of Graham street and Westall road for my front bumper, fenders and rear bumper to be done. They did a decent job but didn't match the paint to the rest of the faded body (frost white). If that's not a problem, they did my front bumper, both fenders (needed minor work) an rear bumper for $650, or $900 including the bonnet (didn't get done). They did it for a great price so the slight imperfection of not matching the new and old paint quickly slipped my mind. They also work on Saturdays :D

chauster
27-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Assuming your hail damage is all through your bonnet/ guard you'd have about 100 dints in it. Then you would skim the whole piece with bog and then begin to sand down the whole piece with a large block with 80 and then repeat until no low of high spots are there. Then finishing off with 180 to fine the 80 marks. After you'd primer filler the whole then. Allow 1 day to dry then rub the primer with 240 dry block then fine it to 500 followed by 800. If you gave a panel shop with hail damage front end they wouldn't even repair it. Seeing that youcan get Taiwanese front end for about $70 a guard and $100 bonnet excluding panel shop mark up. You sir have wasted your time an money. Good luck to you.

chauster
27-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Alright so best option now for me is to simply take it to a shop and get it quoted and solved. Do you guys know of any contacts or places i can go do relative to where i live? Besides the one is clayton chauster mentioned.

Btw, you need a fck ton of bog.

Indie
27-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I mean, you don't go into Woolworth's and ask how to make bread, just because they sell flour.But they also make bread.

Anyway, if it was hail damaged, wouldn't it have been a better option to try and get the dents removed somehow? Actually, I'll ask this now, as my bonnet has many small hail marks, and I'm wondering if they can be reversed easily.

chauster
27-04-2012, 10:28 PM
paintless dent removal. i think $90 a dint. good luck

Indie
27-04-2012, 10:32 PM
paintless dent removal. i think $90 a dint. good luck$90 a dent!? Christ, even tiny ones? I thought they charged per panel... 0_0

chauster
27-04-2012, 10:35 PM
you wish!. insurance called down a few of them from USA when we were hit by hail last time. $90 a dint for them works out cheaper than repairing the car. They only used it for prestige cars though.

eLtrix
27-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Just curious, when painting a car. Is there a HUGE difference when using a spray can and compressor + gun?

Indie
27-04-2012, 10:37 PM
you wish!. insurance called down a few of them from USA when we were hit by hail last time. $90 a dint for them works out cheaper than repairing the car. They only used it for prestige cars though.Yeah, my bosses at work got their Mazdas hit all over, and the insurance claim was huge.

Well, I guess I'll track down a new bonnet at some point. Any idea how much installation would be?

Cheers for the help.

chauster
27-04-2012, 10:38 PM
do it yourself. get your brother or a friend to help you lift. it takes 2 seconds.

chauster
27-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Just curious, when painting a car. Is there a HUGE difference when using a spray can and compressor + gun?

Yes. HUGE difference.

Indie
27-04-2012, 10:47 PM
do it yourself. get your brother or a friend to help you lift. it takes 2 seconds.Ah, fair enough. I assumed there was some mechanism I'd be ****ing with, but then again, I guess it makes much more sense if the hinges stay in place. Thanks.

androo
28-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Regarding the paintless dent removal, it really depends on the damage. I got 21 dents removed from my car for $350 before..........

Indie
28-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Regarding the paintless dent removal, it really depends on the damage. I got 21 dents removed from my car for $350 before..........Cheers. Well, considering the bonnet is absolutely littered with them, I think it's buggered either way.

RAD
29-04-2012, 10:44 PM
We don't charge per dent, we only allow dealers a panel price, and thats because their too dumb to figure out a rough cost to PDR a trade in. $90 would be to repair a parking dent at your place.

An Alfa 149 bonnet with 400 pea sized dents, a VY commo with 40 5-10c sized dents, an Audi R8 with a dozen 5c sized dents. Different damage, but the costs and time to repair was similar.

Anyways i'm getting sidetracked, if you need another place to get a quote, and don't mind a little travel, i'd recommend http://www.milsomepanels.com.au in FTG.