PDA

View Full Version : cluster problem

p.v
28-04-2012, 06:33 PM
today, as i was driving on the free way i realised the revs for my civic vti are lower than usual when driving a 100
it is just above 2,000RPM's whereas i rmemeber it use to be over 2.5000rpms+ while on gear 5 driving 100km/h

what can be the problem? there doesnt seem to be any signs of lack of power also would it be possible if my kms/h be lagged just like the rpm? meaning i am going about 110 on gear 5 at just above 2000rpm?
if that made sence.

jdm_b16a
28-04-2012, 07:36 PM
The Civic VTi sends an electronic signal via the VSS located at the back of the gearbox.

http://hondacivicrepairs.com/views/honda-civic-speed-sensor-profile.JPG

It is easy to remove and visually check. Just undo the small bolt that holds it in, jiggle it and pull straight up. Check the nylon wheel for wear.

The other thing is check the plug for damage or the wiring.

You could swap the unit out with another to check its operation.

I don't think the problem will be in the cluster, but if you can get hold of another cluster (with tacho) you can check.

Peter

charliebrown
28-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Approximately how high should the RPMs be in 5th at 100km/h no aircon? I've also got an EG5 and it sits at like 3k RPM on the freeway, dont think it was always like that

zhong
28-04-2012, 07:48 PM
D15B7 sits on 3000rpm and speedo at 108km/hr ish - but according to GPS, i'm doing 100km/h.

p.v
29-04-2012, 01:55 AM
so from the speed sensor it also controls the revs?
cos since at 100 its suppose to be about 2700, and now its 100 at 2200 approx, then does that mean im actually going 110 ish? since the revs are lagged... but i will also grab another cluster off my sis inlaw, same car 1 year diff, give that a try also

The Civic VTi sends an electronic signal via the VSS located at the back of the gearbox.

http://hondacivicrepairs.com/views/honda-civic-speed-sensor-profile.JPG

It is easy to remove and visually check. Just undo the small bolt that holds it in, jiggle it and pull straight up. Check the nylon wheel for wear.

The other thing is check the plug for damage or the wiring.

You could swap the unit out with another to check its operation.

I don't think the problem will be in the cluster, but if you can get hold of another cluster (with tacho) you can check.

Peter

on 5th going 100 should be about 2700 nomore,

zhong
29-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Oh i'm on 14" wheels btw.

markismaximus
29-04-2012, 07:57 AM
D15B7 sits on 3000rpm and speedo at 108km/hr ish - but according to GPS, i'm doing 100km/h.

Sounds about right. Gps isn't always 100% accurate. Most car speedos are calibrated to read slightly higher than the actual speed too. So its possibly a combination of these two things.

dougie_504
29-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm about 3,000 at 100KM/H.

D16Y1 in EH9. 15x6 with 195/50/15.

Peppy
29-04-2012, 09:20 AM
If it's any help here, I'm running 16/6.5 205/45/R16 on an EK1. Engine - D16Y4 and I'm sitting on 2500 or so in 5th at 100km

Can you hear/feel the revs to know if your tacho is out? What happens in other gears? What happens over a range of revs? When you redline it, can you hear that it's almost on the rev limiter and does the tacho agree? Do you know your typical speed ranges for the different gears?

p.v
29-04-2012, 01:45 PM
yeah i roughly do know the speed ranges in different gears, i know for sure every gear is lower revs, gonna go chuck a cluster in now and see how it works

Drifter995
29-04-2012, 03:24 PM
have you changed wheel or tyre sizes recently? that can change it a tad too... I went from my 12"s to 15"s with a slightly larger diameter, and my speedo is now about 7% faster (as in, if I was to hold 60 as i did with the old wheels on, it's a little bit less than 60)
Else, i'd say it's a higher chance of the speed thingo being off...

Riceboy
29-04-2012, 07:17 PM
First check you are actually travelling at 100km/hr with a GPS when its 2000rpms.
Also the speed sensor got nothing to do with Rev counter. Revs are triggered off the dizzy.

zhong
29-04-2012, 07:26 PM
From memory, the bigger the wheel/tyre the slower the 'actual' speed of the car - as it isn't calibrated to suit those sized wheels. My eg came factory with 14" steelies (what I'm running now) and I hit 108km/h on 3,000rpm - GPS speed was 100km/h. When I had 15" on it, my speedo was spot on 100km/h and was on 3,000rpm. I also have to agree with the Riceboy, that the RPM is a different signal to the VSS - sort of like how some cars don't come factoy with a tacho - you tap into the dizzy and you can get a RPM signal for an add on tachometer.

None the less, check it with your GPS - mine was pretty accurate, as in my other cars they were no more than 1km/hr off - MK2 TT, MK1 TT, S2K, etc.

Oh and since I'm already writing an essay, I might as well add that sometimes my speedometer goes wacky if I drive over a puddle of water - it shuffles better than the guy in the LMFAO clip with the turtle-shelled back pack.

Peace.

Drifter995
29-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm talking, wheel and tyre diameter being bigger... which means it has a longer rolling distance, which therefore means the wheel turns less than the original, so while your small wheel is revolving at say 3,000rpm, your big one would be like 2,600rpm or so... so you give it that little extra to get it to 3,000... So in turn, your speed at 3,000rpm goes from 100 to 110 or something along those lines...

I've been out of school for far too long... can't word maths well at all... but you get the jist of what i'm saying, yeah?

chipmunk
30-04-2012, 01:16 PM
sorry to hijack, didnt want to make a new thread about cluster problem, buttt i own a cxi and so i switched the cluster over to a jdm ek3 sir one with rev meter on it, but now today i switched it back to the stock cxi one and everythings playing up.

when i indicate, the lights of the indicator in the cluster are dimmer and both of them flash if i indicate to left or right as well as, my temp gauge pings to the top and my speedo drops to 0. and everything returns to normal when i stop indicating.

when i highbeam, it does the same thing

and i get no fuel level reading too, i tried to to unplug and re plug but i havnt checked the fuses yet. i will get to that soon but any ideas ?

jdm_b16a
30-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I own a cxi and so i switched the cluster over to a jdm ek3 sir one with rev meter on it, but now today i switched it back to the stock cxi one and everythings playing up. Any ideas ?

Sounds like you have an EARTH short somewhere. Or you've blown a fuse.

Out of curiosity - were you using the same edge connectors on the cluster? How did you read RPM if your OEM cluster didn't have a Revometer?

Alternatively indicators and lights can play up if one of your bulbs is kaput. Check all your bulbs in indicators and lights.

Peter

chipmunk
30-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Out of curiosity - were you using the same edge connectors on the cluster? How did you read RPM if your OEM cluster didn't have a Revometer?

Alternatively indicators and lights can play up if one of your bulbs is kaput. Check all your bulbs in indicators and lights.

Peter

wasnt using any connectors to work the cluster, and it was just a straight plug and play if you get a cluster with rev meter with it. and i check all my indicators they all work too :S

Drifter995
30-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Peter

I was under the impression some of those cars had the plug for the tacho, but because they didn't have one, didn't use it, so it just sat there pretty much... hmm