PDA

View Full Version : car won't go into gear

DvSnGuYeN
29-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi. This is probably a noob question, but I just wanna be sure of the problem before I try fixing it...

The problem is I can't get into gear, and my clutch is REALLY soft... when I start the car, I can't get into any gears. But I can change it when the engine's off. I checked the transmission fluids, it's still at a good level and still clear. Could it be the clutch? Or would it be the synchros? Any help would be appreciated!

trism
29-04-2012, 01:35 PM
What car will help.

Its probably the clutch slave cylinder.

DvSnGuYeN
29-04-2012, 01:45 PM
it's a civic, d16y4...

clutch slave cylinder? how difficult would it be to fix this?

charliebrown
29-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I had the same problem not being able to engage transmission into gear, pressure plate had collapsed. Could be clutch disc too.

But since your pedals spongy, maybe some air in the lines, try bleeding it yet? Also check hoses for leaks.

Could also be CSC or CMC but get a mechanic to take a look at it before you replace things that aren't broken.

blabla
29-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Chipped spring clamp on clutch. I had this problem. It would be ok when cold but as soon as it heated up did not go into gear without flat changing.

aaronng
29-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Since you can't get into gear when the engine is on but can do so when it is off, then the first thing to do is to bleed the clutch slave cylinder. It is the cheapest first step before you embark on more costly troubleshooting.

DvSnGuYeN
29-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Well, looks like I gotta read up on how to bleed the slave cylinder... is it hard?... I wouldnt have a clue!

blabla, it goes into gear, just takes a while... mechanic just told me it might be inadequate pressure...

marquee
29-04-2012, 06:05 PM
basic DIY keep in mind this is without knowing make or model of your car

Step 1 – Locate Bleeder Valve and Attach tubing

Step 2 – Check the Fluid Level

Step 3 – Pump and Depress the Clutch

Step 4 – Open and Close the Bleeder Valve

Step 5 – Release the Clutch Pedal and Check/Add Fluid

Repeat Steps 2-5 Until the Fluid Coming Through the Tube is Clean

SU-WOOP
08-05-2012, 01:59 AM
find the leak first before u get a dead leg

Forbiddenoob
08-05-2012, 09:12 PM
IF slave doesnt help. sorry mate but your gearbox is FCK! could be synchros.

amant02
08-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Its probs the slave. Common problems in honda. Over fill with clutch fluid should be enfu to drive to a mechanic. Been there i had the same signs. I ignored it for a while till it wouldn't work all together.
Best to call a mobile mechanic to find out whats going on. These sort of problems is hard to give a 100% answer online mate.