PDA

View Full Version : caliper bolt front LHS of accord 96 is doing me in!

theliub
29-04-2012, 02:43 PM
put simply, the caliper bolt will not budge at all. I've used just about everything in my toolbox - even connecting a pipe wrench and hammering the crap out of it. I've tried human strength, but only so much that i dont end up with a spanner stuck in myself. I've soaked it in wd40 and let it soak etc. And yes, i'm very sure i'm turning it the loose way lol.
I dont have an impact wrench let alone a compressor so it's not really an option for me.

anything else i can do before i take it to a shop?
(it's my dad's car and he's very hesitant on the brakes, hence the brake pads haven't been replaced in about 7~8 years)

all answers appreciated thanks

xclusive_eg8
30-04-2012, 12:55 AM
well try a little harder lol. bit of a hard spot to get leverage in there, but try a 12mm spanner on there and tap spanner a little in direction of loostening, vibration helps sometimes. You cant even get heat on it, damn. Just keep trying, will eventually open

stndrd
30-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Where are you located? What you may find is that whoever replaced the pads last cross threaded it and now it has partially siezed

EG52NV
30-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Where are you located? What you may find is that whoever replaced the pads last cross threaded it and now it has partially siezed

if this happened heat with a heat gun

stndrd
30-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I would not advise that. Loctite freeze n release spray and a long spanner/rattle gun or take to a mechanic

xclusive_eg8
30-04-2012, 01:37 PM
heating would cause caliper seals and fluid to heat up, maybe even boil or melt. Try the locktite stuff, is good shizz

na-118
30-04-2012, 05:22 PM
**** how much heat you putting into it? you only need a bit with long breaker bar, if not you have issues

SU-WOOP
02-05-2012, 09:27 PM
instead of un doing the bottom caliper bolt to swing the caliper up to change pads just undo the brake line and handbrake cable and swing the caliper down if not undo the 2 bolts that hold on the carrier to the trailing arm and slide the whole thing off u may have to spred the pads slightly so they slide over the disc then u can just slide the carrier of the caliper and cut the slide and replace it