PDA

View Full Version : JAZZ - gearbox fkd. typical

paps02
29-04-2012, 10:58 PM
before it makes way for my new car.

tranny = manual
1.3L jazz, 2003ish

its making a horrendous rattle. im 99% sure its gearbox, and been told possibly "front gearbox bearing(s)"

of recent weeks its also making a screaching (maybe syncs are starting to die) when accelerating through 1st and 2nd gears. not a constant screach. just like hear and there random noise (on top of the rattle).

questions;
1. how much to fix?
2. should i just sell on the cheap?

Paul.Z
29-04-2012, 11:23 PM
how many km's does it have? and when was the last time you changed your clutch?

DreadAngel
30-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Its kinda hard to diagnose but are you able to better describe the noises? Location, type of noise [eg. dry ball bearings rubbing each other], when it does it and if you can youtube various noise. I suggest checking out "Wheel Bearing" and "Gearbox - Release Bearing/Thrust Bearing" cause I think it maybe those?

Poeter
30-04-2012, 04:31 PM
before it makes way for my new car.

tranny = manual
1.3L jazz, 2003ish

its making a horrendous rattle. im 99% sure its gearbox, and been told possibly "front gearbox bearing(s)"

of recent weeks its also making a screaching (maybe syncs are starting to die) when accelerating through 1st and 2nd gears. not a constant screach. just like hear and there random noise (on top of the rattle).

questions;
1. how much to fix?
2. should i just sell on the cheap?

Does the noise go away when you clutch in??

I had this issue before. It's most like your input shaft bearing that's died as it did with mine.

I bought a brand new gearbox from Honda costing me $3000 for the whole box.

However, the cheaper alternative to go to wreckers and maybe pick up a gearbox for $700.

Labour aside would cost about $600 to $1000 depend on the mechanic you go to. It's similar to doing a clutch job in terms of labour.

If you're gonna pull the box out, you may as well do the clutch and rear main oil coil seal + pilot bearing.

fundies
30-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Yep. The wrecker is your friend.

ouch
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
ive got a 7 speed cvt. feels like my box is leaving me... gonna flush out the oils soon, but how much would an auto one cost?

paps02
07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
noise goes away when clutch is engaged. correct..

im worried the risk with buying a gearbox from the wreckers is i have no way of knowing if the gearbox im buying is damaged also! jazz of this build are known for their gearbox weakness.

ouch
08-05-2012, 01:32 PM
does it still rattle when its warmed up? i found that mine more than often rattles when its cold. although it does still happen when its warmed up. gonna go change the oil soon, see how i go then.

paps02
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
nope this is hot or cold. if im stationary on a half steep decline noise stops..

davidha91
13-05-2012, 10:47 PM
noise goes away when clutch is engaged. correct..

im worried the risk with buying a gearbox from the wreckers is i have no way of knowing if the gearbox im buying is damaged also! jazz of this build are known for their gearbox weakness.

Sounds like thrust/throwout bearing issue. If your clutch is on its way, I recommend getting a clutch kit which comes with the clutch disc, pressure plate, thrust bearing and pilot bearing.

GU357
23-05-2012, 09:23 PM
ouch, when fixing your engine shudder problem getting a new startclutch is the most common fix, 1600 from honda
srry to hijack