PDA

View Full Version : Clustor Playing Up

H22JET
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I got an Automatic 1993 EG Civic, so me and my mate took out the Clustor to paint it Red, so we had it apart and I was driving car for a while with no clustor connected waiting for it to dry, then when the paint was dry we put the clustor back in the way we took it out CAREFULLY. we checked to see if all wires were correctly connected which it looked like it was.
So since i put it back the REV doesnt work it stays on 0.
Temperature Guage Instead of Starting from Cold and going to Half when its warmed up, it starts from The middle and goes to Full Hot tempreture, but its actually not overheating it just shows that it is.
would it be that I need a new clustor or the sensors are not working? anyone with any sort of past experience of this same or similar situation please helpppp :(

ericl33
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
you made a booboo.....

if you don't know how to fix it, get a new one.

I give you 2 points for attempting DIY and lose 1 point for fail DIY.

so you're still 1 point ahead:)

H22JET
01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I just want to know if its the clustor or not so idont waste my money on another one for nothing

ericl33
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I just want to know if its the clustor or not so idont waste my money on another one for nothing
you didn't touch anything else did you?

if not, it would be safe to assume you did something wrong with the cluster.

H22JET
01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
all i did was un plug the cables behind it painted it and put cables back to where they were

ericl33
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
you took apart the cluster to paint it?

H22JET
01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
yeah took it out and painted it, un did the plastic cover and yeah

ericl33
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
just the cover or did you completely dissemble it?

check the wiring @ the back. the wire pins etc.

did you take the needles off?

H22JET
01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
well my mate did took it apart so im not sure if he took needles off, lets say he did take em off would it mean clustor problem?

ericl33
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
well my mate did took it apart so im not sure if he took needles off, lets say he did take em off would it mean clustor problem?
well if he took the needles out and put it back incorectly, would explain the wrong temp reading.

as for the

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSs48FCSIF4gMHJwYYTHguPc5UypKv5p jALA2B5knNTrCKCa90R

there should be 3 wired needed for it to run, check the wiring and if it's missing any screws @ the back.

H22JET
01-05-2012, 03:56 PM
nothings missing at the back i re took it apart to double check and everythings in place, but yeah should be clustor, because out of nowhere to not be working is abit wierd

Wru
01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I changed the back lights of my cluster a few months ago, when I put the cluster back in the blinkers nor lights worked as well as I think the tacho. I just took it out and reinstalled it and it started working.
My guess is you've already tried that yeah?

H22JET
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
yeah i took it out re checked the plugs plugged it properly and nothing changed, might be a clustor what else could it be haha there only round $80 anyway

Wru
02-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Find out if he actually disassembled the entire cluster, if so he's probably put it back together wrong.

H22JET
03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
just asked him, he didnt touch the needles or anything when took it out just the plugs behind clustor were touched but we put them back properly as we put clustor back in

zhong
03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Make sure you didn't paint your pins RED too - I'm sure it'll make it faster, but maybe some pins have overspray and causing it not to conduct the signal properly. I'd say - get some contact cleaner/wd-40 give it a good spray at the back where the cluster plugs are and give it another go. Make sure that you hear a 'click' when you hook up the cables.

Does the lights go on when you switch on the parker lights? Does your shifter gauge change letters when you shift the transmission lever?

Check the fuses, and try again. Then check the light dimmer switch - take it out of the dash, unclip the loom then re-clip it back and see if that helps.

Let us know how you go.

Peace.

H22JET
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
i didnt spray anything else red just the clustor from the front, everything else was covered up properly, and everything works fine on it just the rev metre stopped working and the temp guage is overheating that is the only 2 problems, but apart from that everything else is working good

zhong
03-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Are you actually over heating? Check that your CTS hasn't sh!t itself at the same time by co-incidence. Otherwise, swap over another dash cluster and see how it goes.

Goodluck!

H22JET
03-05-2012, 09:50 PM
nah cant be overheating, i had new waterpump, new thermostat, new hoses and everything replcaed recently and car is driving fine not losing water at all. yeah ill get a new clustor and see it

ericl33
03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
just buy a new one.