PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Rotors

eLtrix
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, im planning to replace my rotors and brake pads for my integra.
Im after some tips as to which brand i should get and quality / size rotor.

I have a Honda Integra 2001, dc4. Manual, GSI

grifty
01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Bendix pads and DBA/RDA stock rotors are good enough for a stock daily.

EG52NV
01-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Hit up meekong spares for RDA rotors

eLtrix
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Bendix pads and DBA/RDA stock rotors are good enough for a stock daily.

Hate to ask but what does DBA/RDA stand for? And what if my car isnt stock? Looking for some rotors that will support my occasional high revving down a highway.

Do you have any clue as to what the size rotors will i need? mm wise. 230 i think ive read. but i want to confirm it

DreadAngel
01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
DBA and RDA are both brands that offer rotors for majority of cars.

Like the guys said though, unless you plan on doing spirited driving, trackdays or what not, some 'street' spec rotors and sport brake pads will do the trick along with fresh brake fluid.

You should first pick your brake pads, general rule of thumb, the higher temp and friction co-efficient or anything that mentions semi-race/race spec pads usually have bad cold temp operation and are very harsh on your rotors. Once you've picked your brake pads then select a set of rotors that can withstand the abuse of the pads. The more potent the pads, the harder the rotors need to be. Finish off with good tires and fresh brake fluid ;)

Brand wise if you want bang for buck rotor wise, DBA is usually the choice, I personally find RDA to be cheaper metal hence softer/not as durable. You can also go JDM with Dixcel, Endless, Project Mu, etc

Pads you do have quite a few brands depending if you want to go with Local [Bendix, Ferodo, QFM, etc] or JDM [Endless, Project Mum, Dixel, Winmax, etc]

EG52NV
01-05-2012, 09:43 PM
RDA is also 1/3 the price of DBA

eLtrix
01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
DBA and RDA are both brands that offer rotors for majority of cars.

Like the guys said though, unless you plan on doing spirited driving, trackdays or what not, some 'street' spec rotors and sport brake pads will do the trick along with fresh brake fluid.

You should first pick your brake pads, general rule of thumb, the higher temp and friction co-efficient or anything that mentions semi-race/race spec pads usually have bad cold temp operation and are very harsh on your rotors. Once you've picked your brake pads then select a set of rotors that can withstand the abuse of the pads. The more potent the pads, the harder the rotors need to be. Finish off with good tires and fresh brake fluid ;)

Brand wise if you want bang for buck rotor wise, DBA is usually the choice, I personally find RDA to be cheaper metal hence softer/not as durable. You can also go JDM with Dixcel, Endless, Project Mu, etc

Pads you do have quite a few brands depending if you want to go with Local [Bendix, Ferodo, QFM, etc] or JDM [Endless, Project Mum, Dixel, Winmax, etc]

Yeah i was gonna go with bendix, since i dont know much about cars. Was just going to get that locally at autobarn or something. Where can i get DBA's or RDA's?
Any prime suggestions i should get for a medium budget? I need 4 rotors and 4 new brake pads , ive already gotten new brake fluid.

Im also not sure what size to get either, since they seem to vary.

DreadAngel
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
DBA and RDA check their website, they have dealer listing =)

Alternatively you can check the traders on here, I think a few do them too.

Are you mainly doing just normal street daily work and the occasional spirited run? I'm assuming the rest of the car is stock? Brake just like Tyre selection has a lot to do with what your application is and what other modifications are done. Its not simply a case of 'Race' spec XD

Size wise if the car is in the application list, the part # will be directed to a specific size so you won't have to sorry. Sometimes in higher spec rotors they might oversize the rotors like Dixel did with my car, the FCR Rotors were quite a bit bigger than my HS Rotors.

eLtrix
01-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah the car is mainly used to get me to uni and such. With the occasional BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
So i dont have to worry about them sizes? They will know?

Im concerned about what you said earlier. Finding the matching pads + rotors, i woudlnt have a clue.

DreadAngel
01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Well with daily car with occasional BROOOMMMM it's not too hard of a challenge because you just need to find pads that work from cold [0°C] and work up to ~450-550°C so it can withstand some punishment without fade [Heavier cars/higher powered cars will usually need to go for the higher end of the temp range]. Track cars typically see of temps in excess of 650°C [Depending on track style and event type whether its endurance or sprint etc]. This is very important as the last thing you want is to stamp on the brakes only to find the pads haven't quite warmed up yet. Even my beauitful Endless MX72s, they start 'operating' at 50°C, you need to do about iirc 4 - 6 brake cycles before they were operating near their optimum potential. Higher temp pads require stronger rotors. Factory pads for your basic car the temp they are beyond their range is typically 300-350°C. Brake fade/Tofu Pads are the result hehehe...

Now the friction you can say in layman terms [I know its not entirely accurate but should be close] is the abrasive nature of the pads. So in a sense you can estimate how much stopping power the brake pads have and how harsh they will be on your rotors. The higher the Friction #, the more abrasive. For guys & girls like us, we usually want a little better than normal so something in the range of 0.3Xμ is more than enough. Higher than this and you'll start seeing rotor wear rate dramatically increase.

One last thing to mention, do check the pad material/composition, organic/non-asbestos typically found in the street/super street pads usually retain the factory behaviour so minimal squeal etc when cold and usually not that harsh on the rotors. When you start venturing into semi-metallic, semi-carbon, semi-ceramic, etc these are the ones that can squeal like a bitch when cold.

Just as an example, Project μ has something that might suit you ---> Type NS (http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/pad_ns.php)
Endless ---> Super Street NS97 (http://www.endless-sport.co.jp/brake_pad/index.html)

trism
01-05-2012, 10:54 PM
No point getting anything else but standard replacement IMO

Bendix General CT brake pads, probably about $70 or $80 for each pair, front and rear

Rotors, RDA, DBA, TRW, price will depend where you buy them, budget anywhere from 80 up to 150 per rotor.

Just ring some stores and ask.

eLtrix
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Hot damn, they are freaking expensive compared to the bendix ones. Im trying to find my car model on there, but DC4 isnt listed there. I might get those "NS" ones, though they are pretty steep on my wallet. Didnt expect they would be that expensive, considering they are only the pads, hah ><" Should i be expecting to pay these kind of prices for the pads?

Was looking at rotors as well, possibly these ones : CRD (http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/rotor_crd.php).

I also cant seem to find the right car model under rotors either...

Im not even sure if i can afford those ones either. Might go with bendix ultimates which are significantly cheaper. rotors and pads.

Are bendix's good quality for its price range?

ALSO has anyone heard of the brand QFM for pands and rotors?

trism
01-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Project Mus are more for people who do some racing, track days etc.

eLtrix
01-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Im currently using the "Supercheap Auto Parts Finde (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/parts_guide/default.aspx)r", to find the pads and rotors for my 2001 Integra, but the parts would come up as for the front "Integra 97-" which seems okay, im assuming that means integra 97 onwards. But for the rear it would say "Prelude 2000- rear". Does it matter? Will it still fit on my integra?

This also applies for the brake pads, it would just say its for "Honda Integra Type R" which mine is not, its weird and i'm not sure if it will fit my car so i don't want to buy them yet.

I'm just really concerned about size, whether it will fit.

DreadAngel
01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Hehehe, please remember as I did note, I'm more use to those pads and brands hence why I used them as my example to demonstrate what I was talking about. I prefer my JDM brands and know where I can get them for a good price [to me they're good price] but there are others that like local brands and they're fine too =)

@ eLtrix - Regarding the Project μ Type NS, those are the 'official' price for the main distributor etc. You can get them cheaper with guys like PerfectRun, Jesse Streeter, etc. JDM parts are more expensive but if you know where to look, the bill isn't actually too bad =)

Yes 97- means onwards. I wouldn't rely too much on part finders like imo, they're usually [On sites like SCA/Autobarn/Repco, etc] incomplete or inaccurate, always refer to the manufacturer's site and grab the part #s provided =) Trism's suggestion of ringing them is good [All the manufacturers will either have a dealership network or direct shop] to contact =)

QFM have a good reputation overall from what I've seen, haven't tried them personally. Bendix very hit and miss, some people love them, others don't want to even look at them.

@ Trism - I personally never been happy with OE Replacement, one step up is better if you go for a fun run, last thing you want is smoke pouring from your Tofu Pads cause they KO'd after a short sprint [Happened on my car when I was waiting for my Endless/Dixcel setup to arrive, General CT cooked on RDA Rotors XD] and have no brakes =| That's just me though ;)

Monetz
02-05-2012, 03:39 AM
get RDA Rotor, front brake pad use Bendix or Endless Rear pads just use RDA Pads

PM to EG5 from JDMYard Sdyney and make a deal with him for packages, don't go to Supercheap Auto Parts, Repco and autobarn they selling about $130-150$ EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

eLtrix
02-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. Im ending up getting the gernal RDA rotors, and some QFM pads.