PDA

View Full Version : CL9 carbon bonnet..........

herbert_leung
03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
is it illegal?

MingZai
03-05-2012, 01:04 AM
any modifications is considered "illegal" but I think you will be fine :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/7095655151_ed6b661107_b.jpg

Have had this carbon boot on the company car for over 1 year and zero complaints from police though...

so yeah don't know...

ChaosMaster
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Damn, that's your company car?

On topic though, I don't see why it'ld be illegal, especially if you paint it, it's not like they going to know. But like above, the R35 GTR is sold in carbon fibre paint work. Don't see why having CF bonnet would be illegal.

marquee
03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
in Victoria carbon fibre bonnets are legal.

On a side note not all mods are illegal.

HunterZero
03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I believe all CF panel parts would probably illegal, and they'll cite reasons like due to the way they perform in a crash, CF bonnets don't crumple like the original bonnet, might shatter into sharp shards in a crash, and might not be considered safe enough to pedestrians etc etc etc. I think bonnet pins are illegal too for pedestrian safety reasons.

However it's one of those things you're unlikely to get picked up for. Keep your original bonnet and swap if back if you have trouble.

How about a CF wrap? Would be a lot cheaper than a real CF bonnet. Most "CF" parts are just cheap and nasty fibreglass hoods with a CF top.

Why would you paint a CF hood? Defeats the purpose really.

- HZ

ChaosMaster
03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
True, but you'ld find that there are a lot of cars out there, e.g. GTR and Veyron, where their body is CF but it's painted over. Some people just don't like the look. Although, I'm guessing for a Euro, the weight loss is negligible so the only reason to grab one is for the looks.

HunterZero
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
True, but you'ld find that there are a lot of cars out there, e.g. GTR and Veyron, where their body is CF but it's painted over. Some people just don't like the look. Although, I'm guessing for a Euro, the weight loss is negligible so the only reason to grab one is for the looks.

On legality for cars that came from the factory like that, they'd make an exception I'd presume.

- HZ

MingZai
03-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Damn, that's your company car?

On topic though, I don't see why it'ld be illegal, especially if you paint it, it's not like they going to know. But like above, the R35 GTR is sold in carbon fibre paint work. Don't see why having CF bonnet would be illegal.

Yeah we brought it to the JDMST meet last month haha.

Nah had a bit of research and unless it came with it originally it will be deemed illegal. Reason being not ADR approved ect. (Sorta like the Helmets and stuff)

in Victoria carbon fibre bonnets are legal.

On a side note not all mods are illegal.

Majority of them are illegal but then woopdity doo.

Sorry but I just want to know where does it say it's legal.

On legality for cars that came from the factory like that, they'd make an exception I'd presume.

- HZ

Still not really like what you said it hasn't been ADR approved and it will affect the crash rating.
But if stock came with Carbon Fibre Bonnet who's going to find out you swapped it for another one :)

Fredoops
03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
If your company car is a r35 the wtf are you blowing $$$$ on the cl9 for?

MingZai
03-05-2012, 02:31 PM
If your company car is a r35 the wtf are you blowing $$$$ on the cl9 for?

Sorry I mean't the "Companies" car haha

I don't get to drive it man :( it's my mates haha

Hey man I love the CL9 ! I'm telling you doesn't matter what car I drive in the future... I'm still sticking with the CL9 :)

Even with my new build coming up my CL9 is still going to be my daily driver.

curtis265
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I believe all CF panel parts would probably illegal, and they'll cite reasons like due to the way they perform in a crash, CF bonnets don't crumple like the original bonnet, might shatter into sharp shards in a crash, and might not be considered safe enough to pedestrians etc etc etc. I think bonnet pins are illegal too for pedestrian safety reasons.

However it's one of those things you're unlikely to get picked up for. Keep your original bonnet and swap if back if you have trouble.

How about a CF wrap? Would be a lot cheaper than a real CF bonnet. Most "CF" parts are just cheap and nasty fibreglass hoods with a CF top.

Why would you paint a CF hood? Defeats the purpose really.

- HZ

this post wins

+rep

it is illegal because the car never came like that, you're severly reducing it's capacity to absorb impact and making your car uncrashworthy

and the shards from shattered pieces pieces of resin will cut people up

painting will hide it well (good for people who actually want to lighten their cars) but if you're getting CF for appearance only then why bother with a real one? extra JDM points?

you also need hood pins. those little hinges at the back break very easily

jzx_andy
03-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Hood pins are also another reason they can defect you for.

curtis265
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
so what would u rather, the hood breaking off at the hinges and being impaled through the windshield or being a little bit more illegal than you already are?

jzx_andy
03-05-2012, 09:51 PM
so what would u rather, the hood breaking off at the hinges and being impaled through the windshield or being a little bit more illegal than you already are?

im not saying that it makes sense for hood pins to be defectable, just adding on to your previous post. but if i was to run a CF hood i'd go with the pins haha

skyichigo
05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry I mean't the "Companies" car haha

I don't get to drive it man :( it's my mates haha

Hey man I love the CL9 ! I'm telling you doesn't matter what car I drive in the future... I'm still sticking with the CL9 :)

Even with my new build coming up my CL9 is still going to be my daily driver.

That R35 belong to Chargespeed in Clayton right? Chun ho's?

MingZai
05-05-2012, 05:00 PM
That is correct but it's technically V-Spec Performance (http://www.facebook.com/vspecperformance)(Official Sole Distributor of Chargespeed) =]

Like our page :P

We were at the last JDMST meet :)

skyichigo
05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
That is correct but it's technically V-Spec Performance (http://www.facebook.com/vspecperformance)(Official Sole Distributor of Chargespeed) =]

Like our page :P

We were at the last JDMST meet :)

yeah I did :)

MingZai
05-05-2012, 06:09 PM
hehehehe thanks :) btw I replied you in regards to the coilovers :P

skyichigo
05-05-2012, 07:43 PM
thx mingzai. so how is the shop doing now?