PDA

View Full Version : QLD...Anyone have a 14mm tap and die??

1.mile
06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey guys,

So yesterday ended up cross threading a bolt, and now need a 14x1.25 tap and die

Anyone have one i can borrow in the brisbane area???

Thanks.

ericl33
06-05-2012, 09:46 AM
you can buy it for around 10 - 20 bux from supercheap, etc.

1.mile
06-05-2012, 09:53 AM
you can buy it for around 10 - 20 bux from supercheap, etc.

Na those sets only go up to 12mm...

mocchi
06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
call these guys
http://www.goliath.com.au/

they supply to auto part stores.
i think they can make it too.

would be about $40-$50 a tap.

1.mile
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
call these guys
http://www.goliath.com.au/

they supply to auto part stores.
i think they can make it too.

would be about $40-$50 a tap.

Thanks, i actually know a place i can get them locally, but was hoping to get one b4 tuesday...public holiday in qld tomorrow

eg5civic
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
damn we have them at work, if i knew yesterday would of grabbed it. Just to clarify, what do you need a tap or a die?

Tap, is for cutting internal thread, ie a drilled hole, can be hard to pick up a thread internally if its cross threaded
Die, is for cutting external threads, or if you've threaded a bolt you can fix the thread by running a die over it.

So what is it exactly you need/ need to do? i'm a fitter and turner by trade so if you need a hand just pm me i'll try help in any way i can

1.mile
09-05-2012, 12:22 PM
damn we have them at work, if i knew yesterday would of grabbed it. Just to clarify, what do you need a tap or a die?

Tap, is for cutting internal thread, ie a drilled hole, can be hard to pick up a thread internally if its cross threaded
Die, is for cutting external threads, or if you've threaded a bolt you can fix the thread by running a die over it.

So what is it exactly you need/ need to do? i'm a fitter and turner by trade so if you need a hand just pm me i'll try help in any way i can

Ended up waiting till tuesday and got a tap from trade tools and went to the wrecker to get a new bolt instead of buying a die.
All fixed now. :)

Thanks for your help!