PDA

View Full Version : NSW Please help! I got caught by safety cameras, shoud I go to a court?

Godzillalee
06-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey guys, I've received a penalty notice of $353 for driving through a red traffic light but I'm thinking about to have this issue solved on court. The image was taken by the safety cameras on Silverwater Rd just before entering the M4.

So here's actually what happened,

I was driving on St Hilliers Rd on April, 21st heading north. I thought that I could turn right at the intersection of Parramatta Rd and St Hilliers but it appeared that there was no right turning traffic light at the intersection, and I drove forward into Silverwater Rd. Cuz I don't usually drive around that area so I had no idea of where I could turn right to get back onto Parramatta Rd.
At the location of where the images were taken, I was concentrating at the road sign(The green ones) trying to see when I'm heading and if there's anyway I could turn right, therefore I wasn't looking at the traffic lights when I drove pass and at the time that the camera flashed.. I knew I was fcked..
This comes with 3 demerit points or maybe more for me as I'm on a P2 license. I wondered what excuses I can use on the court.
P.S I wasn't driving fast at all, no more than 30 km/hr...

91led
13-05-2012, 05:48 PM
To be brutally honest, I don't really think you've got a leg to stand on if you take this to court. You just said yourself that you weren't looking at the traffic lights, and I think that's what they'll latch onto in court unfortunately.

trism
13-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Yep, no leg to stand on.

How is "not paying attention to the traffic lights" gonna help you?

Lanzamus
13-05-2012, 11:07 PM
"P.S I wasn't driving fast at all, no more than 30 km/hr... "

How fast you were going through it is irrelevant, if it had been a different intersection and there had been traffic coming from the side, say a family full,,,,, could have been a disaster man. Plz be safer on the road for your sake and everyone elses.

bennjamin
13-05-2012, 11:10 PM
OP

you clearly broke the law and got done.

Have a cry for a second - then pay the fine. Sorry but you cannot contest this.

Godzillalee
15-05-2012, 02:52 AM
"P.S I wasn't driving fast at all, no more than 30 km/hr... "

How fast you were going through it is irrelevant, if it had been a different intersection and there had been traffic coming from the side, say a family full,,,,, could have been a disaster man. Plz be safer on the road for your sake and everyone elses.

I do always drive safely and this is just a bad luck I guess, and btw i dont think a family could jump for like 10 metres in 0.9 seconds

Godzillalee
15-05-2012, 02:59 AM
OP

you clearly broke the law and got done.

Have a cry for a second - then pay the fine. Sorry but you cannot contest this.

As I've mentioned I wasn't intended to break the law, its just a thing that happened. You should be able to see from the photos that I was holding the brake, what if I say that I tried to stop my car at the traffic light but when I realized that the light turned red I was already in the middle of the intersection so I had to either reverse back to drive forward.

I'm not trying to win the case but I'm wondered whether it is possible for the judge to deduct my penalty and keep my demerit points.

Stevil
15-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Thinking is clearly not what you were doing, even as you were slowing you would have time to see the No right turn along with the light having changed to orange. You'll have to cop it sweat, and put it down to experience.

At major intersections you will always get heaps of notice whether its big arrow painted on the road or overhead signs indicating the ability to turn right.

simmy
15-05-2012, 06:55 AM
As I've mentioned I wasn't intended to break the law, its just a thing that happened. You should be able to see from the photos that I was holding the brake, what if I say that I tried to stop my car at the traffic light but when I realized that the light turned red I was already in the middle of the intersection so I had to either reverse back to drive forward.

I'm not trying to win the case but I'm wondered whether it is possible for the judge to deduct my penalty and keep my demerit points.
Won't work, I'm on my p2 aswell, didn't run a red intentionally. Copped a fine of $353 and 3 demerits, just take

like a sir!

bennjamin
15-05-2012, 07:09 AM

You are Kidding me , right ?

You COULD of avoided this situation by driving properly and safely.
It's a mistake I know - everyone here has probably been forced to do something illegal on the road due to a previous mistake ( 3 point turn over double lines for example) but these situations are not justified.

The only times you COULD have an excuse - is when avoiding an accident or government vehicle in response.
Your own stupidity/lack of geographical knowledge won't stand up.

mocchi
15-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Hey guys, I've received a penalty notice of $353 for driving through a red traffic light but I'm thinking about to have this issue solved on court. The image was taken by the safety cameras on Silverwater Rd just before entering the M4.

So here's actually what happened,

I was driving on St Hilliers Rd on April, 21st heading north. I thought that I could turn right at the intersection of Parramatta Rd and St Hilliers but it appeared that there was no right turning traffic light at the intersection, and I drove forward into Silverwater Rd. Cuz I don't usually drive around that area so I had no idea of where I could turn right to get back onto Parramatta Rd.
At the location of where the images were taken, I was concentrating at the road sign(The green ones) trying to see when I'm heading and if there's anyway I could turn right, therefore I wasn't looking at the traffic lights when I drove pass and at the time that the camera flashed.. I knew I was fcked..
This comes with 3 demerit points or maybe more for me as I'm on a P2 license. I wondered what excuses I can use on the court.
P.S I wasn't driving fast at all, no more than 30 km/hr...

hey mate,

i feel your pain but there is no way getting out of this.
this is not a bad dream. shit is real and you gotta pay it.

should be a good, lifetime remembrance of 'look at the damn signs'

so

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar11984_20.gif

tiksie
15-05-2012, 08:34 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

They will laugh at you if you try to contest this, especially if you admit that you weren't paying attention.

We've all done it at one point (Worst was when I had a microsleep going 130km/h~ from Jervis Bay to Sydney). Scary shit.

But yeah, that's another story for another time.

Just cop it sweet and pay the fine and let it go. Once you pay it, you will feel that burden being lifted off your shoulders.. It's a good feeling man.

For future reference, you're better off turning right Camarvon st and doing a U-Turn back on to Silverwater then down to Parra road. Or just jump on to the M4 and jump off at Hill Rd if it's in between there.

Vicks
15-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Don't even bother, you're just wasting your time and their time. Just suck it up and take it.

I just copped a fine and I know the feeling - it's a huge amount but just break it up into stallments. You can also ask for extensions (which I normally do) however I would personally pay the full amount and get the weight off my shoulders.

butterfingers
15-05-2012, 10:04 AM
thats just the way it is. Things will never be the same.

Godzillalee
15-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the help, I guess I will just pay the fine and let it go :)