PDA

View Full Version : Clutch engangement noise

ChaosMaster
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Hey guys, just recently, I've noticed a noise when I engage my clutch halfway at low speed/first gear. I know clutch slip will make some noise, but this is more of a screeching noise (although of a lower pitch). Not really sure how to describe it though, but my car's only done 45k km. Is the clutch worn out?

EuroGraphite
07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Take note when you press the clutch pedal in

If you cant hear much with your foot off the clutch, but it gets noisy when your foot is on the clutch then its quite likely to be your throwout bearing. If its the other way around its most likely the gearbox input shaft bearing, as pressing the clutch pedal releases it and stops it turning.

Could be other stuff too, like cv joints etc...but first guess is one of the bearings in the gearbox.

ChaosMaster
07-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Pretty sure it's coming from the gearbox though. I mean the sound only audible when I have the clutch half engaged when reversing or in 1st gear. Of course, I don't hear it when getting off at the lights because I'm not riding the clutch, but like when I'm parking, you can clearly hear it.

aaronng
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
It is the clutch release bearing. If you tend to use the clutch to hold your car still during hill starts, then it does wear out the clutch release bearing. Symptons are a screeching noise when releasing the clutch gradually and it is louder when you are facing uphill. The replacement part is cheap but the labour is expensive because you need to drop the subframe to remove the gearbox.

marquee
07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
As Aaron said clutch release bearing happens on a lot of euros including mine. Sounds like a low skreech/drone sound.

ChaosMaster
07-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah, damn it. Is there anything wrong with leaving it as is? I mean I can't hear it 99.9% of the time (i.e when the car is on the move or at a standstill).