PDA

View Full Version : Camber and offset

spetz
07-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi guys,

When choosing the offset of rims, should the camber be considered?
And does anyone know how many mm more space between the fender and tire there would be per degree of camber change?

Thanks

ericl33
07-05-2012, 01:56 AM
1 - if you're anal, don't think anyone would.
2 - depends on the car. depends on the control arm length & size of rim.

spetz
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't think it would depend on the car. I mean basically how much does the top corner of the tire move per degree of camber?
So, 0 degrees to -1 degrees for example if anyone knows?

ericl33
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't think it would depend on the car. I mean basically how much does the top corner of the tire move per degree of camber?
So, 0 degrees to -1 degrees for example if anyone knows?
geez man,

like i said, it will depend on length of control arm and size of wheel.

if you have a truck wheel, it will move a like more than a passenger vehicle wheel wouldn't it.

in my earlier post I patronized you, then deleted it, thought it was overbourd, shouldn't have.

senna
07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
The control arm not so much, the Diameter of the wheel yes.

Imagine it this way. Take a straight ahead position, then take 45 degree postion, draw a line between the two points the distance is X, now extend the point out by 3km, draw the same line and then what is the distance of X?

Same principal with how much each degree is when talking about clearance with different size rims.

Jccck
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Imagine it this way. Take a straight ahead position, then take 45 degree postion, draw a line between the two points the distance is X, now extend the point out by 3km, draw the same line and then what is the distance of X?

Same principal with how much each degree is when talking about clearance with different size rims.

This is why it's called 'Suspension Geometry'
Because it involves math and makes brains hurtttt lol

Spetz, most people just buy the Rim they desire.. And adjust the Camber afterward to make it clear.

senna
07-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Lol, just typing that example was an effort....Matsh N stuff...like...whaaa?

ericl33
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM

look here, I know much more about suspension than you alright m8.

senna
07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
mate...

curtis265
07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
regarding ur space question, it's a matter of the size of the rim/tyre

spetz
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes obviously the size of the rim makes a difference but in this context the maximum diameter difference between wheels would be a couple of cm which would have negligible effect.

For someone who knows their alignment settings this could be the difference between scrubbing and not.

ericl33
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Yes obviously the size of the rim makes a difference but in this context the maximum diameter difference between wheels would be a couple of cm which would have negligible effect.

For someone who knows their alignment settings this could be the difference between scrubbing and not.
this is not something someone will know the exact answer to.

You'll need to do some maths calculations & no one here is willing to do it for you.

decide on your wheel/tire combo then work out an equation...

solve the equation to get your answer.

simmy
07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
eric pls