PDA

View Full Version : Interstate driving?

mugen_ctr
07-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Hey chaps, was wondering about interstate traveling in a civic...

Plans are goin from melb to syd an back, but im not sure if its a good idea or not

Atm its fairly average, coilovers, exhaust an the normal she-bang basic mods

The only thing im scared of is breaking down in the middle of no were :/

But i service it regularly, every 5000kms so hopefully it make it hahah

Is it good idea to take my car up n back?

Most ive done was 2 hours to winton raceway n back another 2 hours, which i thought was reasonable enough, buts its like 9 hours :O

CRXDEL501
07-05-2012, 07:07 PM
If the car is in good condition I don't see why not

Lukey
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
she'll be right

ive driven my car to & from winton (4:30-5 hours each way) how it sits atm, with 2 full size spares, a swag, esky and other small bits & pieces, was fine.

drove to & from canberra when i was on springs & 17's, that was about 7ish hours each way and was fine.

mugen_ctr
07-05-2012, 07:31 PM
cheers guys, more confidence in driving there hahaaha.....

TbM
07-05-2012, 07:47 PM
My ek did melb to bris without missing a beat, so long as its in good condition there shouldnt be a problem.

grifty
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
you shouldnt have a problem, if your coilovers are damper adjustable then i would soften them up a little, thats about it.

mugen_ctr
07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
cool cool... I was wondering how is the highway from syd to melbourne? is it as bad as some make it out to be, full of pot holes and irregular road surfaces? I cant imagine it being as bad as that considering its a major road connecting both states

amant02
07-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Syd to melb is fine, my em1 did it without any problems. Keep in mind i revved the em1 to 9k on a daily basis. Before heading out flush out fluids and clean spark plugs (i would just replace them they are dirt cheap these days) and air pressure. Softening the coils also good idea. Mine was tight as, not a good feeling on long trips. I also got over having an exhaust same trip.

mugen_ctr
07-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Syd to melb is fine, my em1 did it without any problems. Keep in mind i revved the em1 to 9k on a daily basis. Before heading out flush out fluids and clean spark plugs (i would just replace them they are dirt cheap these days) and air pressure. Softening the coils also good idea. Mine was tight as, not a good feeling on long trips. I also got over having an exhaust same trip.

cheers man just what i wanted to hear!

An yeah i do run full exhaust system... Just hope its bearable enough on this trip since ive added another muffler to it LOL...

crobaa
08-05-2012, 07:22 PM
if this is for honda nats i'll be driving up with you as well as a few other guys if that helps. Im planning on bringing 2 sets of brake pads ,tyres, coolant, clutch brake fluid, oil etc.. Also getting a full service and check done before heading up

butterfingers
08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
is there something im missing here?

i would never assume my car would have the slightest possibility of breaking down on a road trip. or does this kind of shit actually happen?

thought it only happened in movies and to cars which were on the verge of breakdown anyway

mugen_ctr
08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
if this is for honda nats i'll be driving up with you as well as a few other guys if that helps. Im planning on bringing 2 sets of brake pads ,tyres, coolant, clutch brake fluid, oil etc.. Also getting a full service and check done before heading up

Nah jus family business as there situated on the outskirts of Sydney, the very far outta suburbs

i would never assume my car would have the slightest possibility of breaking down on a road trip. or does this kind of shit actually happen?

thought it only happened in movies and to cars which were on the verge of breakdown anyway

Well its happened to a mate, had a blown tire, had to wait for 2 hours for help lol, not a good feeling being stuck in the middle of no were, happened good 6 yrs ago

But im assuming that the highways are clean to drive on an safe nowadays so should b sweet :)

ChaosMaster
08-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Look, shit happens, no one expects it. My dad had a 84 Corona that did trips from Melb to Adelaide and back just fine. One day, we decided to go visit a mate 30mins away, his timing belt broke on the fwy. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Not much you can really prepare really, other than perhaps a bit of food and entertainment for the instance it does. And keep an eye on your the temps.

-JC-
08-05-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd do it mate, as ChaosMaster says, if its gonna happen, its gonna happen. Sounds like you take care of your car, and I'd imagine its not THAT far between towns if your travelling the main highway between Melb and Syd, road trips are great!

quangsuke
08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
my eg 1.3 carby made the trip up to sydney.
i had to hit 140km/h on the downhill to make it over the hill on the highway where at the top it would slow down to 80km/h LOL

azn_k3nt
09-05-2012, 12:32 AM
my eg 1.3 carby made the trip up to sydney.
i had to hit 140km/h on the downhill to make it over the hill on the highway where at the top it would slow down to 80km/h LOL

LOL that can be a bitch sometime

Drove to Albury the other time, epic cruise but too many pigs with their little toy in the bush.

If all fluids are topped up, all lighting works, psi tyres i did 42psi and got 6.2lt/100km to Albury

meatball
09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Drove from brisbane to melbourne on boxing day last year. pitstop at sydney. Konis busted cos theres potholes that you cant dodge

ericl33
09-05-2012, 03:48 PM
no one can guarantee you a safe hassle free journey.

no one has seen your car.

and it's not the middle of nowhere.

thousands of cars drive up and down the hume everyday.

A hand is not far when in trouble.

but in saying that, a relatively well maintained car should have no trouble.

curtis265
09-05-2012, 03:49 PM
next challenge: drive to wa

senna
09-05-2012, 03:53 PM

My thoughts exactly - i honestly don't know anyone with a car that wouldn't make it, and alot of my friends know next to nothing about maintaining a car let alone being interested in the car they drive...

Cruising at 100-110kph is actually fairly easy for a car to do, probably less stressful than driving in stop start traffic all day everyday...

connorling
09-05-2012, 03:55 PM
dont know if anyone has posted this, just bring some engine oil, coolent, basic tools, spare wheel and water for yourself in case anything happen.

connorling
09-05-2012, 03:58 PM

never assume, i was going on a 10hrs worth of drive with a 4wd and trailer, who would know the tyre on the trailer blew at 2am in the middle of nowhere.
lucky we left the trailer there and went to the nearest town to "source" someone spare wheel on the trailer.

senna
09-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes, but the question is "Will my car make it?" Not will i have any dramas like a blow out which can happen just around the corner from my house...

So many people have this fear of running their car for more than 3 hours - wtf? The motor has done 100,000+kms, i'm pretty sure it can handle a bit of a drive

ericl33
09-05-2012, 04:01 PM
never assume, i was going on a 10hrs worth of drive with a 4wd and trailer, who would know the tyre on the trailer blew at 2am in the middle of nowhere.
lucky we left the trailer there and went to the nearest town to "source" someone spare wheel on the trailer.
well, something like your coil or ICM could die anytime on out B & D series motors, no warning, so never assume....

connorling
09-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes, but the question is "Will my car make it?" Not will i have any dramas like a blow out which can happen just around the corner from my house...

So many people have this fear of running their car for more than 3 hours - wtf? The motor has done 100,000+kms, i'm pretty sure it can handle a bit of a drive

if thats the case of fearing 3 hrs non stop driving, then take regular breaks?
my old engine had 260000km on the clock, and i used to drive it for a long long time with AC on, and nothing happened.

at the end of the day, this is a non-sense question, how the fcuk do we know if ur engine can make it?

amant02
09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Mugen don't worry about what others day, only you know the effort you put into maintaining your car. Do a simple service before you head out and everything should be sweet.

CrystalSkull
13-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Get plenty of rest before and take breaks during as the road is very good but very boring, and beware the usual idiots and of semis, you will be fine.

migoreng
13-05-2012, 12:24 PM
My prelude made it from syd > Brisbane in 12 hrs. With a full car and boot it had like 9cm ground clearance. You really have to worry about bottoming our or anything.

Maintain your car properly and it will be fine I had 250k km on the odometer last year.

91led
13-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Get plenty of rest before and take breaks during as the road is very good but very boring, and beware the usual idiots and of semis, you will be fine.

Amen to this. I recently did Melbourne back to Sydney overnight and the biggest problem you'll have is getting tired, rather than the quality of the road. Be sure to make use of the rest stops and service centres along the way for taking breaks. I stopped about three times along the way for short naps and I wouldn't have made it otherwise.

trism
13-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Melbourne to Singleton.

Just over 1000kms, Google maps says 13 hours. I think I managed to do it in less than 10.

That's with stopping every 2.5 hours to stretch and walk around, and a fuel stop halfway.

Not speeding either. 90% of the way is 110 zones, didn't do more than about 120 on them.

amant02
13-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Melbourne to Singleton.

Just over 1000kms, Google maps says 13 hours. I think I managed to do it in less than 10.

That's with stopping every 2.5 hours to stretch and walk around, and a fuel stop halfway.

Not speeding either. 90% of the way is 110 zones, didn't do more than about 120 on them.

10Kms over thats speeding buddy lol jks. But doing that extra 10kms does shave alota time off the trips. It all accumulates over the highway stretch.